Run away after paying with my debit card in a membership shop

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 584 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I can hardly breathe. I've really messed up.

I stole a pair of shoes from a shop today. To shop in that shop (it's a big shop that is all over the UK) you have to pay for an annual membership with all your details (phone number, address, etc).

At the same time as I took the shoes, I bought an item which I paid for with my debit card.

On the way out the alarm went off and I ran. I should have stayed and taken the hit but I ran. There are not many CCTV cameras but I must be caught by one of them

Now I am at home with the uncertainty of what might happen to me.

The shop assistant never saw the shoes as they were wrapped in my jacket, but it was pretty obvious that I took something since I ran.

Please help, I don't know what can happen to me.

Will I get a visit from the police?

What should I say/do?

I know it sounds cliche but what a mistake! the shoes are not even for me! 

Edited by dx100uk
Swearing removed

You could always go back and say that you notice on checking the receipt that they have not charged you for the shoes and that you must have been still asleep not to notice this.

Suspect that the store has the alarm go off many times each day. Most of the time, it will be a security tag that they failed to take off after selling an item.

Very much doubt they will start looking through security camera footage to identify the person who set off the alarm.  And they would not know that a pair of shoes was taken.  The store will have thousands of products on sale and it may not even be picked up that a pair of shoes is missing.

But of course, it is risky to do such a thing, as if you did get caught doing this, the store may decide to call the Police and then go on to request prosecution.  And if you did have a conviction for theft, this could have a severe impact on your life e.g. lose employment or have difficulty getting a job.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Well done 

Next time don't crumble to peer pressure? Forcing you to do something you know is silly 

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...