Andy v Halifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6341 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I can guess the answer to this question from reading other posts but would welcome any contributions.

I issued a summons via Money Claim which was acknowledged by Halifax on Dec 3rd. I received a letter from them today disputing some of the claim (I'd claimed for 8 years charges instead of 6 years). They are offering to pay everything over the last 6 years plus interest plus Court costs and saying that if I don't agree to this they will file a defence in respect of the charges that are over six years old. The total difference is £580 on a total claim of £3000.

My questions are -

1. Do they usually pay up for the charges over six years old anyway?

2. If I send them the standard rejection letter, are they likely to pay the amounts they have admitted to straight away or will they drag things out to the bitter end?

I would be grateful for any advice but I guess in the end, I have to decide whether it's worth going for the extra £580 or not.

1. Do they usually pay up for the charges over six years old anyway?

No

2. If I send them the standard rejection letter, are they likely to pay the amounts they have admitted to straight away No

or will they drag things out to the bitter end? Yes

I would be grateful for any advice but I guess in the end, I have to decide whether it's worth going for the extra £580 or not

Absolutely. You would need to research s32 of the Limitations Act here:

APPENDIX LIMITATION ACT 1980

And this court decision here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legalities/50718-very-interesting-case-folks.html?highlight=pdf+version

Well, I wrote to them accepting their offer only on the condition that they paid the money into a different Halifax account (the account the charges were accrued on is £600 overdrawn and on Enquiry Only status due to a mistake by Halifax taking a Standing Order after it had been cancelled and when there was no-where near enough funds in the account to honour it). The next day, they refunded the charges into the wrong account which now has a large credit balance but is still on Enquiry Only status so I can't get to my money.

I've written them another letter saying that unless they transfer all the money into the account I specified within 24 hours I will be continuing the action to claim ALL the charges they have unlawfully taken.

So far - nothing!!

In your letter, did you also specifically say you would only accept the money they were offering as a partial refund and that you would continue to pursue them for the rest of the money, through the county court if necessary?

Gruffle Gaw vs Halifax - £1531.50: ***WON - cheque for £1966.78 received 30/09/06***:)

I'm not a legal professional and my advice is given without prejudice or liability.

If you found my post helpful, please click the scales on the left.

My advice would be not to accept a penny less than they took from you. They will bluster, threaten and stall but you will get all your money in the end if you don't cave in.

Gruffle Gaw vs Halifax - £1531.50: ***WON - cheque for £1966.78 received 30/09/06***:)

I'm not a legal professional and my advice is given without prejudice or liability.

If you found my post helpful, please click the scales on the left.

I think a word with the bank to get your account status changed would be your best move here seeing as the account is now in credit and the overdraft is cleared. That way you clear the overdraft and you get the remainder of the money. I take it you were refunded the 6 years plus interest and costs??????

If so then you got the result you were always going to get.

TezViper

I give advice not as an expert on law, only as a guy who succesfully claimed back £3385 from The Halifax. Followed by another £2611.

Lloyds TSB settled in full before hearing

Cap One offered full settlement and default removed.

If I help in any way then please donate to the site when you are succesful