Jump to content

Gruffle Gaw

Registered Users

Change your profile picture
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Gruffle Gaw last won the day on December 15 2006

Gruffle Gaw had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

22 Excellent

About Gruffle Gaw

  • Rank
    Basic Account Holder
  1. Hi there. You should do several things: 1) check that it is an ORIGINAL copy, signed by yourself and a member of their staff and dated appropriately. 2) Read through it and see what, if anything, it says about collection fees in the event the account falls into arrears. Let us know and we'll advise you further.
  2. Good question, and the answer is I don't know. However, Paypal do have a contact telephone number and I have spoken to a real person in the past using it. It is somewhere on their web site - I'll browse around and see if I can find it. I suggest you call them on it and ask them directly.
  3. As Tbern said he's not claiming for libel I guess it's academic, but this is a course of action that does interest me in relation to debt companies falsely amending credit records and I do wonder why more people don't sue them on these grounds. Even if there were previous blemishes on your credit record, you would still be able to sue, though damages may not be as high. There is a provision under defamation law that says that if the damaging allegation made would not cause more damage to a persons' reputation than other facts that had been proven, you can't sue for libel. But in practice, this
  4. Yep. I'd skip the ombudsmen for the reasons pointed out by other posters and go straight for the jugular - take them to court. There are only two thinga that make big companies do the right thing - court action and bad publicity on a big scale, both of which affect their wallets.
  5. Ghost town, did you do everything correctly (e.g. ask for the information under the appropriate Act of Parliament, send them the £1 fee, keep proof of postage)? If so, you are now in a very strong position as you can prove they have committed a criminal offence and what's more, they can't enforce the debt at all if they don't have one. You should certainly report the matter to the police (get a crime reference number) and the Office of Fair Trading. There are further remedies you can take as well, such as taking them to court to obtain an order that they remove the default notice from yo
  6. If all else fails you could sue them for defamation, though this could get complicated and expensive. I am pretty well up on defamation law (I work as a journalist) so if you are thinking of going down this route feel free to PM me for advice.
  7. This could be a complicated issue and your colleague's best bet is to contact the planning department of your local district or city council, who will be able to advise him or her of the situation and his or her rights.
  8. There are also several things you can do to force them to remove the note on your credit report and receive compensation for the fact they put it on there in the first place. However, it would be wise to gather evidence that the debt is not actually yours before proceeding down this route.
  9. Secondly, you have a legal right to a copy the original credit agreement. Send them the following letter, and don't forget to keep a copy of it, obtain proof of postage (you can get a certificate of postage free from the post office) and include the statutory £1 fee in the form of a cheque or postal order. [Your address] [The date] [Their address] Dear Sir/Madam Re:− Account/Reference Number 4563210025897412 I do not acknowledge ANY debt with regard to the above account. Before I will communicate with you further, I require a
  10. Good advice so far. I'd take lookinforinfo's line of thinking one step further and write to the companies who are calling you all the time, saying that you consider their constant calls harassment as defined under the Harassment Act 1997 and that you demand all future communication is directed to you in writing. I'd consider buying a telephone recording device as well (about £10 from Maplins) so that if they do persist, you have evidence of this. Also, if you tell them that the call is being recorded they are likely to end it very quickly as debt collection agencies frequently break the law an
  11. Yes. MacKenzie Hall is at the fag end of this dubious industry. Its staff seem to specialise in buying in unenforceable debts very cheaply and attempting to bully unwitting members of the public into paying them. There are many things you can do about this. For the moment, DO NOT ADMIT TO OWING ANY MONEY WHATSOEVER. Even if the debt were yours, if you have not admitted to owing any money on the accounts or made any payments for more than six years it is unenforceable by law unless you admit you owe it, in which case the six-year period starts all over again. Have you made any payments or
  12. Ah. I didn't consider that, and it would appear you are right blacksheep. Sorry metalrat, I'm out of ideas.
  • Create New...