• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HSBC _ Metropolitan collection services

blackmanfamily
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4652 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you find yourself unable to make payments on anything you should always let the bank/debt collection agency/ whoever know. Most of them will arrange to accept lesser payments or a longer term. I have to say that MCS are not the easiest but you must contact them today. As for an attachement of earning order, I would think that they couldn't do this without informing you. I am suprised you havnt been subject to the barrage of telephone calls and letters that usually follow when even one payment is overdue!! Do do something about it today though becasue things can only get worse if you ignore the problem. Good Luck.

• 5 months later...

Hello all

My first time. I have a few questions and hope you can help.

Without any notification from HSBC my accounts have been closed and given to MCS.

I no longer live in the UK, but now live in America, where do I stand legally? Can they sell the UK debt to an America collection service?

I have been in contact with the HSBC about my debts, approx 13K since 2007, I have been using PayPlan since Dec 08, so HSBC knew my situation, but they would not cancel a DD from my current account to my loan, and when this got reversed I was charged. I have requested a refund of this but have not received a reply. How should I proceed?

Cheers

Hello all

My first time. I have a few questions and hope you can help.

Without any notification from HSBC my accounts have been closed and given to MCS.

I no longer live in the UK, but now live in America, where do I stand legally? Can they sell the UK debt to an America collection service?

I have been in contact with the HSBC about my debts, approx 13K since 2007, I have been using PayPlan since Dec 08, so HSBC knew my situation, but they would not cancel a DD from my current account to my loan, and when this got reversed I was charged. I have requested a refund of this but have not received a reply. How should I proceed?

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I have just finnished paying off my debts with MCS (thank goodness as they are so RUDE) and have now found out that I can claim some of it back as the debt was mainly bank charges. Does anyone know how I go about doing this? Many Thanks!

Hiya lloydie and welcome to the HSBC forum :)

Here's the step by step guide on claiming back your charges.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-example-step-step-instructions.html

Have a read through it and come back with any questions you have, its a good idea to start your own thread so all of the advice you get is in one place and anyone reading through can see where you are and give the advice you need :)

Good luck

pete

Helo !

I am seeking advice on a letter that i received this morning from Metropolitan Collection Services Limited .

It states that my temporary arrangement has now expired and that they require an increase in payments .

They state that failure to reply within 14 days may result in the concession to pay by instalments being withdrawn and legal proceedings may be issued for recovery of full outstanding balance .

they also state....OUR RECORDS SHOW THAT YOU ARE THE OWNER ( of my home ) THEREFORE , SHOULD LEGAL ACTION BE NECESSARY , IT WILL BE OUR INTENTION TO SECURE OUR CLIENT'S INTEREST IN WAY OF A CHARGING ORDER ON YOUR PROPERTY .

Has anyone got advice on this on how to stop the rise in payments ??

I have not missed a single payment to Metropolitan in over 2 years .

The money they are seeking was an overdraft of £ 15,000 with HSBC that i was unable to re pay when they demanded the whole amount back after I was unable to keep up with the charges !

• 1 month later...

Hi! Dont panic - but I do think you need third party help. Community Legal Advice are vry good - and I am sure some other people on here can recommend other advice agencies. Keep all your paper work and note of any telephone calls etc and - GOOD LUCK.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Emmanuelle , welcome to the forum :)

This is a horrific example of exploitation of a minor - in my opinion....

First of all , tell your son not to worry about being arrested ..... whoever told him that wants sacking for lying, bullying , and intimidation . It cannot happen – he has not committed an arrestable offence .

Secondly , it is general knowledge that loans should not be given to 17 –year olds , because they cannot legally sign contracts or legally binding agreements .

I think your best bet may be to get him to ask the bank for a copy of the Loan agreement – Via CCA request ... it costs £1.00 and they have to produce this within 12 working days (+2 days for delivery ) .... send Special Recorded Delivery so that you can track receipt .......

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/581-cca-request-letter

If they produce this agreement , the date it was signed (if signed by your son ) would show clearly that he was under 18 and therefore could not legally have a loan – also if you did not countersign as guarantor ........they can’t hold you responsible for it either .... they are trying this on ....

If they don't or can't produce it - there is no debt ...... simple as that ....

Another point is that you can speak for him if he tells them you have his authority ....... they’re hiding again .......

Once you are armed with this info , I would report the bank to the Financial Ombudsman , Trading Standards and the Financial Services Authority......this is blatant contravention of the bank's own rules ,,,, as well as exploitation of a Minor , IMHO .

By all means come back and ask if you need any more info , emmanuelle - someone will answer ..... and we're user-friendly on here ....

It looks as if this could need more input and info emmanuelle , so I'll ask a Moderator to transfer it to your own thread . ..... that way your advice won't be mixed up with anyone else's - I'll keep an eye out for your thread .... as I'm sure other's will too ......:)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

• 1 month later...

Hi, i would like some advice with regards to an outstanding debt i had with hsbc BEFORE i went to uni, over 5 years ago. Recently i had lost my phone and changed numbers and lost contact with the debt recovery agency to whom i was supposed to be repaying the debt, per month. l have just called them and been told the account has been passed back to hsbc, after 5 odd years why would hsbc take the account back? anyone know please?

Thanks

Dee

Hi dee 101 welcome to the forum :)

You don't say who the debt recovery company was , but if it was Metropolitan then they are purely HSBC's collection department .. they're not a real agency and don't work for anyone else ... so the debt has never really gone 'out of house' so to speak....

It depends on how many payments you missed I suppose , but if you're still intent on repaying the rest, then why not contact HSBC and ask them for details and why they've got it back....maybe offer them repayments to clear the backlog ....

you could try this address :

HSBC Bank Plc

Service Quality Team

Arlington Business Centre

Millshaw Park Lane

Leeds

LS11 0PP

Tel 08456 028006

Fax 08001696143

Come back if you need any more info Dee, someone will answer and we're user-friendly on here . :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi, thanks!

The debt recovery company was Newman company?. To be honest, throughout uni, the account went through a few recovery agencies as i was moving between different student accommodation throughout my course.

ive missed 3 payments now, but due to not having a net income (because of being a student) i have never been able to meet payments every month..

also, half of the amount owed i am disputing but haven't known how to go about resolving it or what help is out there, other than court, which i found an option for the banks to win and me incur further charges.. ?

i was wondering, because the debt is nearly 6 years old, would it appear on my credit file as a default or would hsbc have taken the account back because of missed payments to write it off???

Thanks

Dee :)

I think you'd have to ask them.... but that may galvanise then into action to demand immediate settlement .... :eek:

Can you say why you think that half the amount is disputed ..... if it's becuase of Bank Charges which are questionable (too much , too often) then read the FAQs on here and start your claim for refund of them ........ Is PPI also a consideration? . .....were you charged that as 'Protection ' for the loan ?... if so you may be entitled to ask for it back ... if it was mis-sold ....

Dee , we're on someone else's thread here , could you open your own thread please and copy/paste your query into it... that way you get advice which is tailored for you .. and can't be cofused with anyone else ....

There's a "NEW THREAD" button at the top and bottom left of the main HSBC site.....just click on it and off you go.... :)

Come back if you've got any problems with that .... meanwhile I'll keep an eye out for your Thread appearing ...... :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

Just to add to what Johnny has said, if the debt was a loan (I think credit cards fall into this too) and you were under 18 it raises even more questions because "minors" arnt allowed to borrow money.

If this is the case however it may answer the question why the debt collectors keep passing it back to HSBC... when they discover how old you were and the contract isnt worth the paper its written on.

pete

• 1 month later...

Hi. I am in debt by about £6500 due to ex "wanting his life back". I had to give up a good job in order to take care of daughter. I sorted two sums out with the respective companies and am paying £1 and £5 per month respectively. My only problem is with HSBC and MCS. HSBC will not acknowledge any offer for the overdraft (about £900) and MCS have started harassing about the loan (about £2400). I live with my 7 yr old in a mortgaged house, my ex name still on the mortgage even though he pays nothing. He has a ccj on house due to his own "drinking debts". I have been to CAB but they dont deal with HSBC until it goes to court. On National Debtlines advice i continue with letters and £1 payments - recorded delivery of course. I have to say im scared and wont answer door or phone unless i know who it is. It feels better just typing this even if i get no advice.

Hi fallenangel , welcome to the forum :)

If you can open your own thread using the 'NEW THREAD' button at the top or bottom of the HSBC site page , you'll get advice which is dedicated to you , not mixed up with anyone else's ......

Once you've opened it just copy and paste your message from #39 above ... or if you have a problem with that , just ask on your new thread and we'll get a Mod to transfer it .....

Someone will answer ,and I'll keep an eye out for your thread anyway, so don't be put off..... we're user friendly on here and you'll get loads of helpful advice ..... :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

• 1 month later...

I was continually harrassed by telephone by MBCS for a £5,000 credit card debt, until I was suicidal and in worse debt than before. I had even been to Citizens Advice and they had drawn up a payment plan and submitted it to HSBC who COMPLETELY IGNORED IT and put the matter into the hands of MBCS and refused to discuss the matter with me. I went to CAB on the advice of HSBC in the first place! After months of telephone bullying, one day I received 11 phone calls while at work, asking me to agree there and then to raise the amount I was paying back, I went out to my car in my lunch hour and phoned the Financial Ombudsman and told them about the harrassment. I was also paying another company DEBTLINE, £30 a month to supposedly deal with MBSC and stop them harrassing me. At the time I had the feeling that DEBTLINE was simply another subsidiary of MBCS and they were in fact, creaming off £30 a month from my overall payment to MBCS, thus in effect lowering the amount that was being paid off my debt - and they were doing NOTHING to stop the harrassment. So I was in fact worse off by using their so called services. I wrote both MBCS and DEBTLINE a letter and I copied Financial Ombudsman in. I told them I would NOT deal with them by telephone, I would NOT agree to any more raised payments, I would NOT respond to their bullying tactics and that as I had now had a chance to assess my disposable income, I could actually only afford £5 a month at present. They accepted that, they have not phoned me again. Until yesterday I didn't know that MBCS were actually HSBC banks own debt collectors. When I did find out I felt really, really sick to think how they were behaving towards the small people out here who owe a few coppers compared to their fat cat salaries which no doubt allow them and their families to live a pretty wonderful lifestyle. They don't care if you can feed yourself or your family, they don't care if you commit suicide, they care about lending you money that they know you'll have difficulty paying back, they also know you have more scruples than they do and you'll do your utmost to pay because you're honest. And then they simply wait. They wait until you miss your payments, and then they're not your friendly bank any more. And all the while they're lending - they KNOW this is going to happen eventually, because they are more money savvy than YOU. And you're there feeling stupid, guilty and worthless because you're in debt and don't know how you got there. The Bank got you there because it's where the Bank wanted you so the Bank could repossess the home they lent you money to supposedly 'buy'. They're no worse than the loan sharks we're all warned about, they just bully you in a more 'professional' way don't they?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. New question.....

If I wanted to contact metro collection services from abroad, what would be the best way to do that?

I have a 0500 number that won't connect, I considered writing to them but it seems from others' comments here that that idea could be dicey. How will I know that they recieved it....????

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi lb25, welcome to the forum :)

Personally I think you're safer contacting them by letter ..... you only get hassle from them if you phone them , because you'll probably get an overseas call centre who have a list of set questions ..and...if you ask outside the box you'll get " when you gunna pay ,, why don't you pay ",,, or threats of what'll happen if you don't ......

I don't know if you've got access to 'Recorded Delivery' where you are or even 'registered mail' .....but if so I'd say that's your best bet ...... it also means you've got documentary proof of what you sent , when you sent it , (hopefully)when they received it ........ and what their reply was - if any .......

I think that 0500 number only works from the UK , (unless you put the GB code before it .......but it usually diverts to a call centre in the Phillipines anyway ...... :rolleyes:

By all means come back and ask if you need more info lb25, someone will answer and we're user-friendly on here ...... :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

• 3 months later...

a situation whereby the Metropolitan Debt Collection Agency has taken £5400 straight out of my account from funds that were intended for a urgent purpose.

My wife and I were involved in a car accident whereby another car came crashing into the side of our vehicle. The insurance company of the 3rd party sent us a cheque in the sum of £7738.55 by way of a without prejudice interim payment intended for the purpose to fix our vehicle. However the solicitors have pointed out that this payment can be recovered should their investigation prove that the accident was not genuine. My solicitor has informed me that they are investigating the 3rd party regarding this matter.

This money was intended to fix our family car which we depend on. We have had 2 sets of twins in the last 19 months and have really been struggling finically. If we are unable to get this money back from HSBC who we have been banking with for such a long time will not be able to find money from anywhere else to mend the vehicle and we will not be able to get around.

I am sure you can imagine what it’s like with 4 children under the age of 2 years and an older boy of 6.

My situation is that I have been unemployed for the last 2 years and I have only recently started working again since June this year. I am more than happy to get a strict payment plan put into place to get this credit card debt down to zero. I would be able to offer you a 1000 pounds from the cheque as my mum has said she will lend me this money but that is all the money I can raise.

I have been unable to sleep all last night and I don’t think I will be able to do so in the future until this is resolved. Please find it in your heart to help my family and me through this awful time. I have had money paid into my account continuously in the last 2 years and I have not heard anything from anyone regarding this debt. I totally over looked this debt due to all what has gone on in the last 19 months. I paid that cheque in to my account in good faith completely unaware of this debt. I have not received any letters during this long period; we feel that this is immorally wrong to take this money which is clearly going to put us in a position impossible to recover from. I ask for your help to resolve this matter.

Regards

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the advice but we have all we need here.

Peace to you also....and Goodbye.

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

• 3 months later...

Gonna blow this out the water for you lot.

I used to work for them.

The reason recorded delivery wont be noted is because where you post them to is a secure address ie; not the building where they work.

The collection process is so easy to abuse. If you make perhaps £1 per month payments by standing order to the account details supplied religiously you will hardly ever get post and no further actions. Legally the litigation department will not pursue actions if there are continual registered payments. If you do not own your own home or work full time then you also do not have the required suing criteria, or if you are living overseas because you can not sue someone in another country also if you owe less than £1,500 they dont sue. All the threats of door to door collections are a complete fabrication it is simply not cost effective for them to do that.

Also if you have friends over seas give their address because defaults cant be registered overseas and the standard overseas letters will eventually offer 40% discount to settle.

Hope this helps

• 2 months later...

Hi, new to this but thought someone may be able to clarify things for me. Having read some of your posts I may have been misled.

In Nov 2009 i used a company to try to write off my card. They wrote to me saying that yes there was an issue with contract (HSBC Credit Card) but HSBC deny this and so end of story, after advising me to stop making my payments. I was struggling financially and then my partner died suddenly and I was in real trouble. HSBC said tough. Passed it to MCS who as you all say only want the money from you. I put a note on my credit file saying that i disputed this account etc

From what you have written, can they do this legally?