• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Judge orders debtor to pay £7,000 in costs for trying to avoid paying Compliance fee of £75......a discussion thread.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2498 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In the normal sense, costs and fees have different meanings - costs are an initial outlay, fees are a financial gain.

In the TCE costs are regarded as anything taken in relation to the exercising of an enforcment power section 62. Fees are itemised in the associated regulations.

You are not now saying the costs and fees are different things under the TCE ?.

It was never pleaded.

I dont think anyone would dare do so.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because I cannot see where the legislation says fees alone can be enforced. It only says the EA may recover fees, it doesn't clarify further.

All this is covered in the judgment which you say you have read.

The section 50(2) Definition of ammount outstanding says that collection of sums due to the creditor together with the fees can be enforced.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I dont see how anyone who advises people fees are void, could call themselves an advisor after this judgment, not and keep a straight face.

Particularly since there has never been a judgment or LGO decision which does not echo its findings.

Under what power? If they did, it would be voluntarily and not at the expense of the original debt.

Under what rule and It is not what the judge said in this case.

The authority has an ordinary duty to pay its contractor for work done. the fees are set.

Again the court did not concern itself with this, although the judge did confirm .

It is also off topic, as the judgment here was ab out the ability to continue enforcment, not about your theories regarding proceeds, again the judge said tht this was irrelevant to this case.

Under what rule and It is not what the judge said in this case.

The authority has an ordinary duty to pay its contractor for work done. the fees are set.

Again the court did not concern itself with this, although the judge did confirm .

It is also off topic, as the judgment here was ab out the ability to continue enforcment, not about your theories regarding proceeds, again the judge said tht this was irrelevant to this case.

What are you talking about? Fees are only recoverable from the debtor. If the authority voluntarily recalls the warrant then sure, they should pay what is due, but should certainly not be making that payment from the payment made by the debtor.

What you're saying is that if a debtor owes £200 and pays it directly to the council, they will then say to the bailiff "ah you've been so good, take £75 out of that". Really?

The judgement says

It is clear to me that whether the £172-odd that was paid was apportioned or not (and it is accepted by the defendants that it was not, that Harrow kept the full amount in payment of their debt) is irrelevant to the right or the power of Newlyn to enforce what had then become due by reason of their appointment, being the compliance fee

Also as confirmed by many previous LGO actions, councils ,FOI requests.

The debt was being enforced, under an enforcment power Therefore any payment due whilst that power persists is proceeds of tht power.

It is obvious what the repeated reference to this is about.

YOU have taken this to mean tht the sums paid to the authority have to be retained by them . It does not , it merely refers to the sectin 13 procedure, it says nothing about the authority retaining fees.

So any thought you may have abut advising debtors to pay direct and then cease interacting with the bailiff.

So when the warrant dies and there will be no fees payable, is wrong I am afraid.

The judgement says

It is clear to me that whether the £172-odd that was paid was apportioned or not (and it is accepted by the defendants that it was not, that Harrow kept the full amount in payment of their debt) is irrelevant to the right or the power of Newlyn to enforce what had then become due by reason of their appointment, being the compliance fee

You've completely ignored what I asked.... again.

I asked under what power does the authority pass on direct payments if they feel like doing so. You said "The authority has an ordinary duty to pay its contractor for work done. the fees are set." So I put this to you:

"What you're saying is that if a debtor owes £200 and pays it directly to the council, they will then say to the bailiff "ah you've been so good, take £75 out of that". Really?"

You've sidestepped the issue again. The council would only have a duty to pay an EA if they request the recall of the warrant. They would not be paying that out of any direct payments they've received from the debtor.

You simply cannot abide that I've been correct for 3 years - direct payments are not subject to s13 as they are not proceeds of enforcements. A council would have no legal argument if they were to apportion a direct payment leaving the original debt at a loss. All you've done is try to hide the truth with 'contracts', 'duty' and even trying to say that the council can decide to use s13 if they want to despite having no legal authority.

You truly never fail to amaze with your ability to embarrass yourself.

Nope. I said because they hired ia bailiff who has to be paid, that's why they must pass on some of the payment, if the payment is made by the debtor whilst an enforcment power is active and is therefor proceeds of that enforcement. As the judge sys. Just because oo do ot understand the answer does not mean it has not been given.

Just try and claify further the fees are due because of the general duty of the employer to pass on fees, as defined under the act, not because of the act.

You have zero chance of understanding this i know, but a court will.

It is obvious what the repeated reference to this is about.

YOU have taken this to mean tht the sums paid to the authority have to be retained by them . It does not , it merely refers to the sectin 13 procedure, it says nothing about the authority retaining fees.

Oh. My. God.

Dodgeball.... seriously? That's what you think it says? Sums paid to the authority are not proceeds of enforcement and cannot be treated as such. The barrister stated that fees cannot be part of that payment, that the authority cannot treat any part of that payment as EA fees. It was their's to keep. He was clear that the debt and the fees were two separate enitities.

Why oh why can you not grasp that the authority has no legal authority to decide that a direct payment must have EA fees subtracted and given to the EA?

You've completely ignored what I asked.... again.

I asked under what power does the authority pass on direct payments if they feel like doing so. You said "The authority has an ordinary duty to pay its contractor for work done. the fees are set." So I put this to you:

"What you're saying is that if a debtor owes £200 and pays it directly to the council, they will then say to the bailiff "ah you've been so good, take £75 out of that". Really?"

You've sidestepped the issue again. The council would only have a duty to pay an EA if they request the recall of the warrant. They would not be paying that out of any direct payments they've received from the debtor.

You simply cannot abide that I've been correct for 3 years - direct payments are not subject to s13 as they are not proceeds of enforcements. A council would have no legal argument if they were to apportion a direct payment leaving the original debt at a loss. All you've done is try to hide the truth with 'contracts', 'duty' and even trying to say that the council can decide to use s13 if they want to despite having no legal authority.

You truly never fail to amaze with your ability to embarrass yourself.

You have been saying that not passing money to the bailiff stops fees, Pote ? Anyway apparently you do ot believe a word this judge says

And you've still sidestepped my question, so I'll try to make it simpler.

A debtor owes the council £200 and it's gone to the bailiffs. The debtor pays £200 direct to the council. The council take that payment and give £75 to the bailiff for his fees and keep the rest meaning some debt is still owed to the council. Is that what you think the council can do despite the barrister calling this a legal nonsense?

You have been saying that not passing money to the bailiff stops fees, Pote ? Anyway apparently you do ot believe a word this judge says

Dodge, Dodge, Dodge. Please, for the love of all things holy, lead me to where I have stated that. Once again, just for you, I have never said that paying the creditor direct stops the fees. I have said I question whether the EA can use an enforcement power to then recover them, but they are still due. Whether they get paid or not is another matter.

And you've still sidestepped my question, so I'll try to make it simpler.

A debtor owes the council £200 and it's gone to the bailiffs. The debtor pays £200 direct to the council. The council take that payment and give £75 to the bailiff for his fees and keep the rest meaning some debt is still owed to the council. Is that what you think the council can do despite the barrister calling this a legal nonsense?

No again the barrister said that the ides that the authority was bound to use the procedure under section 13 was nonsense

I must have said about a dozen times now, We know this because some authority(actually most authorities ) do.

No again the barrister said that the ides that the authority was bound to use the procedure under section 13 was nonsense

I must have said about a dozen times now, We know this because some authority(actually most authorities ) do.

So they have no legal obligation to follow it?

Dodge, Dodge, Dodge. Please, for the love of all things holy, lead me to where I have stated that. Once again, just for you, I have never said that paying the creditor direct stops the fees. I have said I question whether the EA can use an enforcement power to then recover them, but they are still due. Whether they get paid or not is another matter.

So you agree with the judgement now, make your mind up.

You are so petulant. I said I question whether the power to enforce for fees alone does exist after the original debt has been paid, so clearly I am not in full agreement. Now answer my question.

Sorry being rude, didnt have to look far

I'll ask it again - so they are not legally obliged to follow it?

Posts unapproved......if this is not going aware apart from in circles..it will be closed shortly...we have posters to help rather than be monitoring this nonsense all day.

Andyorch

Site Team Manager

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Perhaps if anyone wane to comment or ask, or offer an opinion, if not it should be left open IMO I will not be further engaging with Whitely any further.

Perhaps if anyone wane to comment or ask, or offer an opinion, if not it should be left open IMO I will not be further engaging with Whitely any further.

So my question goes unanswered again. Ho hum.

I don't want to get involved in your discussion / argument but i want to make a point that was raised earlier about the councils passing payments over to companies.

I asked a friend who does a lot of council tax for one of the big companies and he confirmed that non of the councils hes had work from have ever passed a direct payment over to the bailiff company. He would prefer if it was but it doesnt happen. He usually gets an email along the lines of crack on for your fees.

None of the beliefs held by "Freemen on the land" have ever been supported by any judgments or verdicts in any criminal or civil court cases.

So what if he does not recover any further sums ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2498 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks