Theresa May to seek snap election for 8 June

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2470 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

For sure a lot of people, including me - might never have scrimped and saved, worked 2 jobs and gone without other 'luxuries' to invest in a home had we known it would go directly to the government at the end of our lives !

All this might end up causing older people to sell their houses, downsize to something of less value, enjoy some of the money and give the rest to their children.

Also what is to stop parents selling up and giving the money to their children to buy a house, as long as it has an annexe for them to live in.

You would have to be pretty silly to sit on a property of significant value waiting for government to take it, to pay for care costs exceeding the £100k threshold. If you have savings, you would have to use them first anyway.

I think these types of policy might lead to consequences Goverment had not really considered.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dodgy politics by some. It is ok if one of your own party says something. But if a politician from another party says the same, then there is a problem.

Wish they would discuss substance of issues and not just naked party politics.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I thought Mr Corbyn came across much better than Mrs May in the Andrew Neil interviews.

I agree that he did at least ask the questions, however, not sure it helped Corbyn that Neil claimed Corbyn supported the IRA. It is claimed by some that Corbyn has always supported a united Ireland.

Claimed by "some"..not "most".

Yep, but things said by Politicians or claimed to have been said, are never forgotten. This is why those thinking about high office in the future tend to keep quiet and don't attend protest marches etc.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-wBRxxXYAAAk6f?format=jpg

Quite a funny picture re strong & stable

May will be gone by September, as she has lost credibility in both the Tory party and the country. Boris Johnson will be in no.10 by the time of the Tory party confetence in September.

There could be another election in 2018, as Boris seeks his own mandate. He might just go for a much softer Brexit, with continuing access to EU single market, even if that does come with amended freedom of movement for EU citizens. The compromise with the EU might be that the UK can apply additional requirements on EU citizens coming to the UK e.g no automatic free use of NHS, unless they are paying UK taxes.

What is for sure, is that the Tories can't continue to go for a hard Brexit, as there is not enough support for that in Parliament.

Theresa May is not really a Prime Minister for the current era. They need to be charismatic leaders with some humility.

I don't think the Tories had any proper Brexit negotiation plan. They have over 300 civil servants and others working on various issues thrown up by Brexit and some of these are very complex. The UK economy is so intertwined with the EU, that it is not possible for any form of Brexit to happen by March 2019.

Everyone involved in Government dealing with Brexit knows that it is going to be a very long winded process over many years and the 2 years allowed by Article 50 was never enough. That is why Theresa May called the election, hoping that she had until 2022 to obtain a Brexit deal including trade relationship.

As the Brexit negotiation moves forward, it might get to the stage where any deal is not in the interests of the UK economy. That is when Theresa May or another PM is going to call off Brexit or arrange another referendum. Given the Parliamentary maths, with a majority of MP's against Brexit, they won't agree a bad deal. They would call a vote of no confidence if necessary and another election would take place.

So what happens in March 2019, when the two years are up from invoking article 50?

The comments from the EU are that the clock is ticking and they don't sound as if they're in the mood to make concessions. Certainly not to a lame duck PM.

HB

The legal position is very unclear. Some say that after 2 years the UK leaves the EU with no deal and the UK applies to WTO. But that means trade tariffs that would be ruinous to UK businesses.

I can't see how any Government could allow it to happen and Parliament would vote down the Government. There might also be a legal challenge in the EU courts.

I don't think it will be Theresa May taking it forward and it will be her replacement. Boris Johnson is likely to make things worse and i am not sure he is 100% convinced on Brexit anyway.

If i were betting on what is likely to happen, i would place 2 bets. First bet would be a Norway type deal, where the UK leaves the EU, but is still a member of the single market paying in a relevant sum and free movement has some restricted rights. Second bet is that Brexit does not happen after a second referendum win for a remain campaign.

Second bet is that Brexit does not happen after a second referendum win for a remain campaign.

But do the other 27 countries have to agree to article 50 being un-invoked? That seems to have been a grey area from the start, from what I read at the time.

Yes the other 27 have to agree, but why would they not ? They want the UK to remain in the EU paying in billions and trading with them.

Most MP's are against Brexit and they will only support Brexit if it does not harm the economy and their constituents interests. Brexit is still only a theory and until the reality becomes clearer, MP's can only say that they accept the referendum result. But that is likely to change when reality kicks in.

I see the young voters are quite arrogant about what they have managed to bring about.. had they 'mobilised' themselves during the EU referendum, Cameron would still be prime minister and we would not be in this mess !!

But it has taken Jeremy Corbyn and the momentum group to energise these young voters, making them realise that their votes count. In the run up to election day i heard numerous conversations between young people about how they were going to vote for the first time. Labour have done a lot of social media campaigning recently and it worked.

If this continues, we could see votes by those under 40 exceeding those by the over 60 aged group. That could make politics very interesting, as government has to then start offering a better deal to young people and not just bribe pensioners.

• 2 weeks later...
get shut the lot of them and pack them all off to some remote island in the middle of nowhere, am sure they will all get along nicely together! :lol:

Very few politicians are liked by the public, as they can only ever be popular for short periods, when the media contains positive headlines.

Australian politicians are worse than ours. Just check Youtube to see the arguments in their Parliament. The US is worse and probably most other countries you could list.

If i had ultimate power, i would change the system of elections to proportional representation and i would have 20% minimum as independent candidates. I would turn Westminster into a museum and i would have a round non adversarial Parliament somewhere in the middle of the UK. Each department of government would have a minister appointed by parliament and this would include the Prime Minister.

There should have been some way in which Cameron could have been forced to stay and sort out the mess he created !

Both Cameron and Osborne now earn about 5 times what they were paid as ministers.

I am sure that if aliens visited parliament and it was explained to them how politics worked, they would be quickly back in their spaceships at maximum warp speed. Stupid earthings. :lol:

• 2 months later...

When i saw new post, Theresa May, i thought it was announcement she was going to stand down.

I actually think that on balance, it would help the country if there was a new PM. TM lost credibility at the election and cannot take the country forward.

Brexit negotiatons are going badly and there is no majority in Parliament for Theresa Mays position on Brexit issues. I would think Government will struggle to get the EU withdrawal bill through without amendments they don't agree with.

A major concern is Northern Ireland with their Parliament suspended. Given problems there, i have seen very little leadership by Theresa May. Both Blair and Cameron would have been involved in talks between the different NI parties. There would have been talks between all parties in regard to Brexit and border issues.

Theresa May will come to realise within months that she has to go and be replaced by someone with better leadership skills.