'Free' Phone from 3G - Spam Voice Calls

buzby
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3984 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just spent an interesting 15 minutes speaking to an Indian call centre that was trying to give me a free phone if I signed up to the UKs "3G" network. After the puff - much of it unintelligible - I asked which network the phone would be connected to.... "3G" I said that was a technology - what was the network....? I was eventually transferred to a supervisort who first told me that he was "3G", and when I pressed him further he corrected himself and said he was calling from "3UK", which - he wanted me to know, had a call centre in India. I explained I did know this, but it was surprising he didn't know me as I was already a 3UK customer, on a contract. As the fractured conversation developed, it turned out they weren't 3UK, simply a sales boilerhouse trying to get customers to sign up for a free phone.

Additionally, the call came through on a line that has TPS opt-out for sales calls, and when I queried why I was called, he told me they had a 'computer system' that made the calls, so they weren't responsible - and their computer didn't know or take notice of marketing blocked numbers! On asking him for his contact details, I was told he didn't know his own phone number, before terminating the call (the call comes in as 'International').

I'll be raising this with 3UK, as they'll be able to whittle down who in India can sell their contracts, but interestingly the call centre contacted my number 7 time in a DAY until they connected with someone. If YOU get a similar call ofering to sign you up to the "3G" network - try and find out who they are.

I'll be banging on 3UK's Glasgow HQ door first thing tomorrow for some answers!

They were all out having a curry? :) I contacted their Data Compliance Officer by email asking for disclosure of the name or names of the firms they use as sales agents in India to sell to the UK. If they provide this, I'll send the info to the ICO as a formal complaint. If 3 decline, I'll take this as their tacit acceptance of these methods and complain with them as the 'notifiable party' in knowing of the problem and condonig it. More when I hear back.

• 2 weeks later...

Three have responded, saying that they 'weeded out' errant call centres and this practice was at an end - then were unimpressed to discover that the sales calls complained of were within the last month, some 4 months after the 'cull'. 3UK provided the following information;

Minimum requirements for outbound or inbound telephone sales activities.

D10_image.asp?sid=386701701&did=2006112835914&em=2285 In July 2005 we issued a compliance bulletin advising of problems arising from unsolicited marketing calls being made by some 3Sellers.

Unfortunately, 3 continues to receive complaints from customers and members of the public about unsolicited marketing calls being made by 3Sellers. We also understand that some 3Sellers are passing themselves off as being from ‘3’ and/or refuse to identify themselves.

This is a matter that 3 takes very seriously and we cannot permit the above behaviour to continue. 3 is committed to the highest business and compliance standards and we expect all 3Sellers to comply with their legal obligations including under the UK Data Protection Act 1998, the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003, the Communications Act 2003, the Distance Selling Regulations 2000 and all other applicable laws, when promoting and selling 3’s services. A breach of the law by a 3Seller is a breach of your agreement with 3 and we will take appropriate action, including the suspension of sales and the termination of agreements, where breaches are found.

We have produced a minimum requirements document for all 3Sellers conducting outbound or inbound telephone sales activities (see below). We expect for these requirements to be followed and non-compliance is likely to be considered a breach of relevant data protection laws. We have consulted with the Information Commissioner’s office (ICO) on the ‘minimum requirements’ and which they support. The ICO are stepping up enforcement activity in this area, and recently issued preliminary enforcement notices against a number of organisations (including mobile retailers) for making unsolicited marketing calls in breach of the PECRS.

Click here to download the requirements document from 3Seller Central now.

You should also be aware that all 3Sellers must obtain the prior written agreement of 3 to the use of call centres outside of the UK. Therefore all 3Sellers must immediately notify 3 of any marketing calls and of any processing of applications being made by them from or to countries outside of the UK and provide full details of these activities by completing the form attached.

They have also indicated they might disclose the details of those firms abroad they accept connections from - if I receive this information, I'll advise later in this thread. In the meantime, if you get call like this, either supposedly from '3' or '3G' - do let me know!

Im on O2 and used to get these a lot one cheeky git tried chatting me up to keep me on the line:confused: all I do now is ask how the hell they got my number as its unlisted they usually hang up instantly. The way I see it too you usually know its a sales call instantly so I tell them if they are trying to sell or get me to sign up to anything then just bog off now! Wonder why ive not had any calls in agges:D

My ex had this problem. Someone from '3' called her and tried selling her an upgrade so she took it and they told her they would let her cancel the contract and keep the new phone so she thought she would be able to sell the new phone online, they sent her all kinds of bills so i called them and they also said they were '3G' and again i said no your not so what is your real name, i did get it and also their address but then when i called 3 i got through to india and they got really confused. She got out of it but had to pay some line rental in the end.... thing is that the phone she had wasn't even in her name and all the security info she gave was false ie it was all in her mums name and she gave her details and they said "oh thank you we have now identified you" lol they obviously just wanted her details.

I can't believe they are allowed to do that though!

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

My advice is only my opinion, I am not a legal expert.

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.

When they called, did they say they were O2... or was it just a general sales call saying they thought it time you upgraded your phone?

Nope always summit to do with 3 we also get these leeches at the door and just close it in their faces!

My ex had this problem.

According to 3, this 'problem' resolved itself early this year with the last of the 'cull' of errant dealers supposedly being removed. My complaint, of this happening within the last month caused some annoyance, but they've not provided a list of firms in the sub-continent still authorised to sell for 3 (or even the number of firms, if the trading names are 'sensitive').

Due to the lack of candour from 3, I'm drafting a formal complaint to the Information Commissioner, as on the face of things being abroad makes them immune to TPS rules, but the connection with 3UK (to my mind) re-establishes it with a vengeance.

I'll keep the thread posted!

Thats great. I can't see how they can get away with it. Im on PAYGO and i think i had one of these not so long ago but i just put the phone down, really annoying that they keep on and on at people.

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

My advice is only my opinion, I am not a legal expert.

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.

This company 3 are a weird lot .I've had a contract with them for the last 3yrs. when i upgraded in August this year iwas given an 18month contract which am regretting. I was late to pay their bill by 1 week an indian calls me n tells me as i didn't have the money as it was not payday yet i just give them my credit card details even though i told them it had no money, the guy said it doesn't matter i just give out the details. I smelled a fish and told him off after which he threatened to put a default against my name. Iwas fuming iput down the phone and the next day they disconnected my line including calling the customer services which is free from your handset. I lost a job as they had also disconnected my incoming calls. Itried calling customer services but they kept hanging up on me untill i told them iwanted to cancel the contract on this they stayed on the phone and rudely asked me to pay the full line rental and they gave me figure of about £600. I asked how they calculated this and they said its £1.50 a day. so until2008 feb, if i calculate the amount it doesn't come to £600 unless he was doing it in Rupees. Thing is is there any thing ican do or can the OFCOM help in anyway?

Firstly, OFCOM doesn't represent consumers so it'll comse as no surprise that they're a waste of space. From what you explain, you took out an 18month contract 4 months ago, and you had 14 months of the contract to run. You couldn't pay the bill, and when they called you for an altrernative payment method you told them you couldn't afford it. You then asked them or told them to remove service and your line was disconnected. THey now want you to pay the balance of the contract.

Well, so far its you at fault for not sticking to your agreement. You can''t simply say "I can't afford it" and stop paying. They supplied you with a discounted (or free) phone, based on your promise of stating with them for 18 months.

I can't comment on how much it is 'a day' as they don't bill daily, it'll be whatever your monthly tariff was, for the remainder of ther months left to go. It is much better value to pay, as they'll reinstate your mobile and you can start usiing your inclusive call allowance. However they have probably noted you are in default and passing the matter to credit recovery agents to get their money back. The best thing is to offer 3 something to get you back on track, and before your credit records get wrecked.

• 6 years later...

The best 2 replies I ever heard to these scenarios were:

1) a firm "guaranteeing to beat your current tariff", to which the respondent replied "how much you going to pay me then?"

He was the editor of What Mobile?, and noted he was on a a "Press tariff, unlimited, no fees" : so if they were to better it, how much would they give him per month?

2) the firm "calling from Orange" who thought they had a gull up until they asked him for his postcode : which he gave for his office : the Chief Engineer for Orange (at Patchway).

Moral : for us mere mortals who can't catch them out by already being on unbeatable tariffs : they may say they are calling from the network, but usually aren't.

They may (if pushed) admit they are calling "on behalf of the network", but are actually calling on behalf if their commission payments.

if they call with an offer, listen to what they say is available, and then, if an existing customer, ask the network direct for the same or better. They'll already have your details, so caution in giving them any card / bank details.

If you aren't an existing customer, and would give you bank / card details to anyone who calls you up : let me know your number, as I can offer you a terrific upgrade

Edited by BazzaS