Student Loans Company: 'penalties and charges'

katpea
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2654 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

First time poster because I'm having a problem with the SLC! Sorry, this is going to be long...

I had a student loan each year of my 4 year undergrad Masters from 2003-2007.

I graduated with something like £21,000 of debt and immediately started repaying through PAYE with my job.

I was in the UK for 4 years after graduating and then did some travelling starting October 2011.

During the travelling, the SLC was in touch with my family who told them I was travelling (and therefore I wasn't earning).

With hindsight, I wish I had used my savings on paying off my student loan in full rather than going travelling. :

'( In 2014 I settled down in Canada and I've been working there with a visa and got in touch with the SLC via the overseas income assessment forms and have been making monthly payments via direct debits from my UK bank

(I send the money to my UK bank from my Canadian bank).

As of today, I have £13,040 outstanding on my loan.

As an aside,

during my time in Canada and my annual assessments,

I was having issues with the SLC where they would give me 30 days from the date of the letter to update them on my income and provide proof.

Usually I would get this letter 2-3 weeks after the date on the letter, partly because Canada Post is slow but mostly because they were sat on the letters for ages (based on postmarks).

That would leave me to scramble with getting a letter from my employer and sending it back to the UK, which takes 7-10 days so my letter to them often arrived late.

I even wrote them a letter explaining that if they're going to set a 30 day deadline to someone overseas, they should send that letter immediately!

as of October 2016 I'm unemployed.

I quit my job in the oil and gas industry due to health problems caused by working crazy hours for the preceding two years.

I'm back in the UK because I wasn't able to support myself in Canada (lost my savings in the downturn) and I live with my parents for free.

I contacted the SLC and told them I was no longer working.

The woman I spoke to was lovely and sent out some new income assessment forms in early November.

They asked for proof my parents were supporting me via regular bank payments, which they're not doing since it's not a regular payment to my account and instead they just cover my expenses.

I called the SLC again to find out what proof I should submit.

During this call, I had a 'disagreement' with their phone operator who started questioning me about how the SLC knows I'm going to stay in the UK,

how they know I'm actually unemployed,

how they know I'm 'not just on vacation,' etc.

I can't prove an intention!

I submitted the info recommended,

specifically bank statements (UK and Canada) that show I'm exceptionally poor right now,

a letter from my former employer with my final date,

a letter from my father stating that they're supporting me by paying for everything and letting me live with them rent- and bill-free, and the SLC forms they sent.

I gave them everything I could to prove what I was saying, which is more than they were asking for!

I also sent it with proof of delivery because of the number of times in the past that they claimed to not have received something I sent (a likely story) and have downloaded this proof of delivery.

I sent these forms on December 8, 2016, the delay being caused because I was waiting for the letter from my former employer. Also, by this stage I had made two repayments totalling £148 during my unemployment. I was advised to cancel the direct debit so I did.

Fast forward to today

I received a letter from the SLC with big red letters saying,

'You need to read this letter and take action to avoid penalties and charges.'

They're asking for the exact same info I sent them on December 8.

Obviously I'm going to call on Monday to find out what on earth the problem is.

Has anyone been through this with this sort of threatening letter?

Edited by katpea

did you copy everything?

why not send a copy by email and PDF to them.

are you not claiming any benefits?

that would be the perfect thing to send them.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No.

I can claim JSA from Tuesday onwards (three months after my return to the UK) so will be doing that.

Mostly I wanted to avoid the stigma of being a person who doesn't live in this country usually 'taking advantage' of the benefits system.

But you're right, that would be the perfect thing to send and it would help me too financially.

Thanks

Catherine

just send them a copy of your award notice 1st page will do.

no need to do anything else or send any other details.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...