• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bailiffs lock doctors out of Coombswood Surgery in Halesowen

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Mohammed Waqas, of Evergreen Pharmacist opposite on the Coombs Road surgery, said: "The staff turned up for work but could not get in as the locks had been changed.

He added: "We are disappointed that the patient experience has been affected in this way, as are the practice, but we are assured that they are working hard to maintain patient services from their other sites."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-36434956

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Mohammed Waqas, of Evergreen Pharmacist opposite on the Coombs Road surgery, said: "The staff turned up for work but could not get in as the locks had been changed.

He added: "We are disappointed that the patient experience has been affected in this way, as are the practice, but we are assured that they are working hard to maintain patient services from their other sites."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-36434956

This repossesion has been a 'hot topic' of conversation since early yesterday morning and it would seem that this is not the first doctors surgery that has been subject to similar action (reposession). The same has happened to a couple of surgeries in the Sussex area.

The Care Quality Commission really does need to investigate why doctors are unable to manage their finances to such an extent that they cannot afford to pay the rent to the private landlord.

As is always the case, the press only report a small amount of information.

Perhaps the rent should be forwarded to the LL by the Health Trust? No wait a minute some jobsworth would neglect to pay it.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Why didn't they ensure the rent was paid ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Why didn't they ensure the rent was paid ?

Naturally we only have brief details of the background, but from the notices left, it would seem that the surgery did not pay their rent to a private landlords. If so, it would seem that this is totally avoidable. The following guidance is from the British Medical Association:

Leasehold Rent Reimbursements

Contractors
who rent their premises are eligible to receive reimbursement for their rental costs.
The level of leasehold rent that may be granted is determined by the current market rental (CMR) value of the premises, or the actual lease rent, whichever is lower.

The CMR value of the premises is as assessed by independent valuation conducted by the District Valuer, who must determine what might be reasonably expected to be paid by a tenant for the premises at the date of valuation.

The level of leasehold rent reimbursement paid to the contractor must be reviewed when the landlord undertakes a rent review provided for in the respective lease, unless the review does not result in any change to the level of rent being charged.

Under the 2013 Premises Cost Directions, when the CMR is to be reviewed, practices are required to provide the Area Team with a Rent Review Memorandum (RRM), a signed agreement between the tenant and the landlord stating any changes made to the level of rent being charged.

PS: The information in the following link is well worth reading !!

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/gp-practices/premises/focus-on-rent-reimbursements-for-gp-premises

Just lookng through this info, it seems to cover rent paid to NHS owned property and not private landlords. Do GPs not rent from private landlords or have i missed something.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

It may be an emotive subject but if this had been the pub landlord not having paid his rent then little sympathy would be given. No difference really when it boils down to it, it's a commercial proposition & if you don't pay then you face the consequences.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just lookng through this info, it seems to cover rent paid to NHS owned property and not private landlords. Do GPs not rent from private landlords or have i missed something.

Yes i had missed something, it also says private landlords.

Yes you would have thought that there would have been some protection in place.

I think many don't realise quite how tight a GP's practice budget is nowadays. There are many surgeries facing closure due to either this, or an inability to recruit doctors to their practices.

As Plodder says though, at the end of the day it is a business, and had it been a pub or a local garage somewhere, it would not have been newsworthy.

Without a lit more info it would be guessing as to who was to blame here.

Yes, true enough. It is usually the case with press articles that we'd like more information than is readily available. As yet, I cannot find any significant further press releases about this, though the premises is part of a group of practices, and patients are being looked after from other surgeries - not ideal for them, but better than nothing.

This repossesion has been a 'hot topic' of conversation since early yesterday morning and it would seem that this is not the first doctors surgery that has been subject to similar action (reposession).

As is always the case, the press only report a small amount of information.

This particular case was discussed at a meeting that I was at yesterday.

It is reported on a social media site that apparently, the practice manager had instructed a solicitor with a view to making a 'section 78' application to set aside the order' and furthermore, that a 'supplier company' intends to issue an interpleader application in relation to the leased medical equipment that was in the doctors surgery.

It is also alleged that the landlord had used the 'schedule 12 procedure' to the recover 'unpaid rent'.

As I have said on this forum many times, individuals (and companies) should take great care when considering taking legal proceedings. They should also ensure that any solicitor they approach understands the legal position.

The truth behind this case, is that the enforcement company (The Sheriffs Office) were instructed by the Landlord to assist with a ‘Forfeiture of Lease’ (technically a provision under Common Law). Why a 'section 178 application' is being considered is most odd given that there was no order (or writ).

Furthermore, with a ‘Forfeiture of Lease’ there is no requirement for a Notice of Enforcement

Also, there cannot be any grounds for an 'interpleader' application given that the goods inside the surgery were not seized. The owner of any goods merely has to contact the Landlord to arrange for their collection. The same applies to the patient files.

For the avoidance of doubt, the closure of the doctors surgery was a not in relation to a high court writ. Accordingly, the 'Schedule 12' procedure would not have applied.

It still leaves the question how the arrears were allowed to occur. You would have thought that since these provide a public service...

This particular case was discussed at a meeting that I was at yesterday.

It is reported on a social media site that apparently, the practice manager had instructed a solicitor with a view to making a 'section 78' application to set aside the order' and furthermore, that a 'supplier company' intends to issue an interpleader application in relation to the leased medical equipment that was in the doctors surgery.

It is also alleged that the landlord had used the 'schedule 12 procedure' to the recover 'unpaid rent'.

As I have said on this forum many times, individuals (and companies) should take great care when considering taking legal proceedings. They should also ensure that any solicitor they approach understands the legal position.

The truth behind this case, is that the enforcement company (The Sheriffs Office) were instructed by the Landlord to assist with a ‘Forfeiture of Lease’ (technically a provision under Common Law). Why a 'section 178 application' is being considered is most odd given that there was no order (or writ).

Furthermore, with a ‘Forfeiture of Lease’ there is no requirement for a Notice of Enforcement

Also, there cannot be any grounds for an 'interpleader' application given that the goods inside the surgery were not seized. The owner of any goods merely has to contact the Landlord to arrange for their collection. The same applies to the patient files.

For the avoidance of doubt, the closure of the doctors surgery was a not in relation to a high court writ. Accordingly, the 'Schedule 12' procedure would not have applied.

Oh dear - another one?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It still leaves the question how the arrears were allowed to occur. You would have thought that since these provide a public service...

I agree. it makes one wonder why the breach was not remedied in time as well. I think the Practice Manager may have some tough questions to answer, unless it was a backdoor way to reduce the overall practice by one surgery.

As I have said many times, press reports only provide brief details with background information lacking.

The notice displayed (by the Landlord and not the Sheriffs Office) may provide a bit more detail. It stated that the action had been taken due to 'persistent non payment of rent'. This would seem to indicate that non payment of rent was a longstanding problem.

I think you have to remember businesses like these are sometimes run remotely - a bit like if I dare say it Capita - and are run solely for one reason only & that is to make a profit. Even if run by the practice themselves I would imagine paying rent would be one of the last things they would think about. They possibly don't understand that you only have to be 1 day late paying the rent for it to end up causing problems.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

However which ever way you look at it this action occurred through none payment of rent. It is little different than turning up at your A and E and finding it closed, if that happened there would be hell to pay..

Just saying that there is a public interest issue here.

As I said earlier, I think the Practice Manager will be facing some tough questions if they still have a job) after this. As Bailiff Advice said, the word 'persistent' means it has been an ongoing issue, and as Plodder said, at the end of the day, a GP's surgery is just a business like any other.