• Tweets

• Even a Piers Morgan is an improvement and a gutless Farage Piers Morgan calls for second Brexit referendum WWW.THELONDONECONOMIC.COM Piers Morgan and Nigel Farage have faced off over Brexit and a second referendum in a heated reunion on BBC Question Time.   “Why don’t we have another referendum about Brexit?” he questioned. “I seem to remember when 2016 came around we were told there was going to be control of our borders and it was going to be economically beneficial to this country. And eight years later we have lost complete control of our borders… and economically it seems to have been a wilful act of self-harm.”   ... Piers missed off : after all somebody said a 48/52 decision would be "unfinished business" by a long way - was that person just bul lying (again)  
    • when did they (who) inform you there was a 'police case' and when was this attained? i will guess the debt is now SB'd as it's UAE 15yrs. have you informed the bsnk ever by email/letter of your correct and current address? you can always ignore anyone else accept the bank,  Block and bounce back all emails. Block any text messages  Ignore any letters unless it's: - a Statutory Demand - a Letter Of Claim - a Court Claimform via Northants bulk.  
    • I left Dubai 8 years ago and intended to return. However a job prospect fell through. I’d been there for 15 years. I decided to pay my credit card and the bank had frozen my account. There is no means to pay the CC so completely unable to pay when I wanted to other than the bank advising me to ask a friend in the UAE to pay it on my behalf!  fast forward bank informs there is a police case against me for non payment. Years later IDR chased me and after months/ years they stopped. Now Judge & Priestley are trying their luck. Now I have received an email in English and Arabic from JP saying the bank has authorised them to collect debts. Is this the same as IDR although I didn’t receive anything like this from them. Just says they are authorised?
    • The neighbour's house is built right on the boundary so the side of their house is effectively the 'wall' in our garden separating the two properties. It's a three storey house and so the mortar poses a potential danger to us. Because of the danger, we have put up an interior fence in our garden to ensure we don't risk mortar dropping on us. That reduces the garden by 25% which is not only an inconvenience, but it's the part of the garden where we had lined up contractors to install a patio and gazebo which we will use for our wedding reception in less than 2 months. We have spoken to the neighbour's caretaker who is on the case, has spoken with a roofer and possibly a scaffolding company, but there are several issues. They don't seem to understand the urgency. As long as there is a risk of falling mortar, we can't carry out any work in the garden, and unless they hurry up, we're looking at cancelling our wedding as it's not viable to book a venue because we can't use our own garden! Also, they want to put the scaffolding up in our garden which would be ok with us if it was a matter of a few days and they hurried up, but there is a tree (most likely protected by the conservation area), so most likely they can only reach part of the roof with the scaffolding if they put it up in our garden. We suggested a roofer with a cherry picker but they seem to want to use a company they've used before. Any and all comments, suggestions, advice is more than welcome.  PS. does it make any difference that the neighbour is a business (ltd) and not a private dwelling?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cabot threatening CCJ legal action for Halifax debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2948 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had an outstanding amount for a Halifax Credit Card after I defaulted when my dad died some years ago

and I was also made redundant.

I paid this off over 5 years only to then be told that I still owed them over £1000 as this was for fees.

I disputed this and it was when I disputed it I found out that I had in fact had PPI on the credit card

when I demanded copies of my statements.

I went into a branch of the Halifax with copies of everything and was told by a staff member that I shouldn't in her opinion be paying the fees (PPI should have covered everything but I was in a very bad place at the time and didn't realise I actually had PPI).

She took it to her manager who agreed.

I was advised to put everything in writing and told there was no reason I couldn't stop further payments as I shouldn't owe them.

I asked what would happen if I stopped any payments and was told they would probably send demand letters s

o I decided instead to drop them to a token £1 just to stop any threatening letters in the meantime that the complaint was being looked into as it was too stressful.

While I was there,

it was also established that a previous loan I had had and paid off had also had PPI on

but they had refused to pay out on it when I was signed off with depression as it turned out I wasn't covered.

This forced me to use the credit card to try cover repayments at the time.

I was advised to lodge a complaint about that too

- which I did as when I took out that loan the lady who sold it to me told me it covered me for illness.

The Halifax wrote back and accepted responsibility and refunded me the PPI.

However, they didn't accept it for the credit card.

They have ignored the fact completely that I did have PPI on it until I defaulted when I was made redundan

t and dad died and continued to demand the fees were repaid.

Had the PPI been used then the fees wouldn't even have accrued.

I then took it to the financial ombudsman and am still waiting on that.

Now, it seems the Halifax have sold the debt to Cabot Financial who are now sending me letters threatening legal action and CCJ's if I don't reply in 14 days.

When i found out the debt had been passed to Cabot I stopped paying the token amount and haven't had any contact with Cabot.

What would you do?

I'm seeing posts saying to ignore but at the same time there are posts where it seems Cabot have actually taken people to court.

I can't understand why the Halifax wouldn't take into account the fact that it turned out I did have the PPI on the credit card which I had been paying from the beginning.

You can clearly see just by looking at my account (I had a current account with them)

at the time I defaulted when my dad died that I had no income at all and that I had been in real trouble.

I literally sank.

Had I been in a better place at the time we could have discovered this and presumably the PPI would have kicked in and none of these charges would exist but I barely even left the house.

I would really be grateful for advice.

The ombudsman is taking forever and I'm not entirely confident in them anyway as they seem to take an easy way out

and not uphold claims from other posts I've read.

I presume I also need to let them know about this latter from Cabot too?

Thanks

OK first of all, breathe no need to worry about CCj just yet. There is a long process to get to that point.

I see 2 things here that need to be tackled.

1. PPI reclaim

2. Credit card default payments

Both of which could wipe out any debt.

So first thing you need to do is gather information. You need this all in writing and under no circumstances should you have any phone communication with anyone in regards to this debt and or reclaims.

1. CCA request to Caboots

2. FULL subject access request to Halifakes

Send both of these recorded delivery and keep both proof of postage and delivery with a copy of the letters. Templates for which can be found in the CAG library

ignore everything else for now UNLESS you receive an N1 claim form

Also what are the rough amounts outstanding and what year was the credit card taken out?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

The amount the are after is about £1100 - its apparently made up entirely of charges - all the actual credit card debt itself I paid off. I claimed for the PPI through the Halifax for both credit card when we realised it had had PPI on it and the old loan. They upheld the loan as being mis-sold but refuse to look at the credit card charges as in I shouldn't have the charges as there was PPI. Its just that I was in such a state that I didn't know.

The card was taken out I believe, in 1999, so many years ago. I defaulted in 2005 when dad died and I was made redundant (happened within weeks of each other).

Also, the manager at the Halifax Branch herself filed the PPI complaint for me. I have her name as I know the lady at the counter that I spoke to when all this first came up. She asked for the amount that they stated I owed to be credited back, plus money for stress and inconvenience due to the circumstances - and still I have that in writing from the counter lady via a facebook message. There was also something about an extra 2% if successful. To be honest, I don't care about money in my pocket. I just don't think it right that I should have to pay those charges when if they went back, I would have been covered as I was also out of work and the charges wouldn't have been accrued.

well heres the thing

you have paid compound interest on any of those charges which are unlawful anyway

A reclaim would first of all be offset against any debt but seeing as it has now been sold on that complicates things more for you.

And without anything in writing agreeing to these things you cannot be sure they will uphold it.

Halifax will not refund you the charges or interest as they no longer hold the account. You will have to take court action to get that back. The new owners of the debt will try and pursue you regardless. But being a 1999 contract may be difficult for them to enforce anyway.

SO

do steps 1 and 2 above

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

When did you go to FOS?

Was this in relation to the ppi on the credit card?

have you reclaimed the ppi on the previous loan?

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Halifax paid out the PPI on the loan in February 2013 after the branch manager lodged the complaint in November 2012. They refused to deal with the PPI issue on the credit card though according to their letter, or the fact that there shouldn't have been any charges so I referred it to the ombudsman when i got that letter - February 2013. Since then I've been getting the occasional "bare with us, we have thousands of complaints" etc from the Ombudsman, so still waiting for them.

I just want the charges wiping as they shouldn't have been accrued as I should have been covered. I don't care about any compensation.