• Tweets

• Have we seen your court bundle?   If we haven't then it's probably an idea to post it up here especially the index page and the witness statement so we can see if there is anything which might need adding or changing 
    • "Care to briefly tell someone who isn't tech savvy - i.e. me! - how you did this?" Its pretty simple although not obvious. You open the google maps app > click your profile picture > Click Timeline from the list > click today > choose the date you want to see the timeline from. Then you'll see your timeline for that day. Often, places you have visited will have a question mark beside them where google wants you confirm you have actually visited. You either click 'yes' if you have, or you click 'edit' to enter the actual place you visited. Sometimes, you'll see 'Missing visit' This probably happens if your internet connection has dropped out at that time. You simply click 'Add visit' and enter the place. The internet on my crappy phone often loses connection so I have to do that alot.   OK dx, understood mate. 
    • I have now been given a court date vs Evri, 4th Sept 2024. I have completed my court bundle, when am I expected to send copies to the court and Evri and should it be in hard copy or electronic? The Notice of Allocation states that no later than 7 days before the directions hearing both parties must send to the other party their final offers to settle. Does this mean I will have to tell Evri what I'm willing to settle? Rgds, J
    • Sorry  Noted x   Ok how about this to the CEO? I know it sounds super desperate but lets call a spade a spade here, I am super desperate: Dear Sir, On 29th November 2023 I took out a loan of £5000 with you. Unfortunately very early into 2024 I found myself in financial difficulty (unexpected bills and two episodes of sickness and the tax office getting my tax code wrong resulting in less pay for two months) and I contacted you (MCB) on 13th February 2024 asking if there was any way I could extend the length of my loan to 36 months. I fully explained why I was requesting this and asked for your help. I did not receive a reply to that email so I again contacted you on 7th March 2024 to advise you of a change in my circumstances which resulted in me having to take out a DMP and asking you to confirm that the direct debit had been cancelled. You would have also received confirmation of this DMP from StepChange but you did not acknowledge receipt of my email. I have only managed to make one payment from my loan but did try and contact MCB to discuss extending my loan, help etc.  I have now therefore fallen behind on several of my debts, yours included, and as a result you have lodged a Cifas marker against my name for "evasion of payment", which has resulted in me having to change banks, which has been an extremely difficult process because of the Cifas marker. I do not feel you have been fair or given me the opportunity to fully explain my situation to you before you lodged the marker against my name. I appreciate it is a business and you have acted accordingly, but I did try to make contact to arrange alternative arrangements and at no point, not even to this day, did I ever intend to not repay my loan. I cannot stress to you enough how much this has affected my mental health. I am having trouble sleeping and my existing health condition has been exacerbated by all of this. What I would like you to do is to please, please remove the Cifas marker and let me make arrangements to pay the loan back through a DMP.  Please sir, I am begging for your help here. I am not a dishonest person and I have never been in a situation like this before. I am desperately trying to make things right but this marker is killing me. Please can you help me? I look forward to hearing from you. Yours faithfully,
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Xercise4Less / CRS / Harlands

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

It sounds like I'm in a very similar situation to a number of other users on this site! I cancelled my gym membership at Xercise4Less Leeds in June after completing the minimum subscription (joined 25 June 2014 for 12 months, £9.99 a month). I thought that was the end of it, but this week received a letter from Rob Avery at CRS telling me I owed gym fees and admin fees totalling £207.47.

Prior to cancelling I was vaguely aware of gym cancellation issues based on friends' experiences, so I made sure I'd completed the minimum period (never actually went to the gym apart from to join and cancel!). I went into the gym on 4th June 2015 and completed their cancellation form. I asked the member of staff to photocopy it and give me a copy with their signature, which they did and which I kept.

(Having read the guidelines on this forum to cancelling memberships I realise it would have been better to have sent a letter as well with proof of postage - the Xercise4Less cancellation form unfortunately also didn't have a space for the member staff to print their name. There's also a section at the bottom saying "office use only" which I was told would be completed later - in hindsight I suspect this is where the problem started as I took them at their word and the form was probably never "processed".)

I allowed the final payment of £9.99 to go out on 25th June 2015 and then cancelled my direct debit. I received no letters from either Harlands or CRS until the one I got this week (although they claim to have sent more) - the address on my cancellation form was however my previous address so it's possible they were sent there (not sure how they got my new address, but guess that's a separate issue!). The form did have my current mobile number however and the gym / Harlands made no attempt to contact me.

Googling Xercise4Less and CRS brought me here, and having read some of the fantastic advice to other users on the forum, I sent a letter to Rob Avery (with reference numbers etc) earlier this week by recorded delivery as below (realise proof of postage was all that was required but wanted to be extra sure!):

I refer to demands from Harlands / CRS about my gym membership. I used the gym's own cancellation form to supply all details required when I cancelled. The form was completed at the Xercise 4 Less gym in Kirkstall, Leeds on 4 June 2015 and handed in to the staff member immediately upon completion. I enclose a copy of this cancellation form, which I asked the staff member to provide upon completion – please note signatures from both myself and the staff member who took receipt of the cancellation form.

I allowed the final direct debit to be taken on 25th June 2015 and then cancelled the direct debit mandate.

Accordingly, I owe the gym nothing more and I'll pay nothing to Harlands / CRS. If you make any further demands, I'll make a formal complaint to Trading Standards.

The optimistic side of me hoped that would be the end of it, but today I got a text from mobile number +447718775275 saying:

Thanks for writing to CRS. Please call us on 01444 449165 between 8:30 - 5pm. Alternatively we can call you to resolve the issue if you would prefer that.

I really wouldn't prefer that! Having read the advice on the forum I know not to speak to them on the phone, but this seems to indicate that they aren't going to give up quickly.

Searching through my emails today I've found confirmation of my original direct debit instruction from [email protected], received on 25 June 2014 and which confirmed I was committing to paying £9.99 per month for 11 months with the first payment due on 25 July 2014, so I definitely hadn't ended my membership early and did everything that was asked of me as per their cancellation guidelines. I'd paid for the first month when I joined on 25 June along with their joining fee (£29.99 in total, paid by debit card).

I realise they have practically zero power, but having read the other threads I really don't want to receive demand letters from CRS over the next weeks and months (and in due course their solicitors)!

My question is - do I wait for the next letter / text to come before taking my next action, or (having just read Slick's advice to another user) should I pre-empt the next round and send a letter to Xercise4Less' main Leeds office with a copy of my correspondence with CRS, the signed cancellation form and the email confirming the direct debit instruction, and ask them to tell CRS to back down? I'm aware of the Watchdog expose and was wondering if this would be a way to expedite a resolution, considering their current bad press? (ever the optimist!)

Sorry, realise this is a very long post(!), just wanted to explain my situation as comprehensively as possible - any advice you could provide would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Hi Largo and welcome to CAG

Brilliant that you kept a copy of the X4Less cancellation form.

You have no need to speak to Harlands/CRS at all and they can't make you. If they call you, just tell them, "In writing only, then hang up" !!

Until Harlands/CRS reply properly in writing to your letter, you need do nothing more.

Harlands should back off but they may come back asking to see the cancellation form. If they do, you can tell them to b*gger off and get what they need from the gym.

No need to contact the gym for now.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick,

That's brilliant, thanks for the advice! Will hold on and see what they do next then :) Was really reassuring reading these threads and hearing about people in similar situations, think you guys are doing a fantastic job and will definitely be making a donation when back home next week.

Thanks again!

• 2 months later...

I've finally had a 2nd letter from Rob Avery at CRS - they went quiet for most of December but at the start of January the calls started again, which I ignored until I received a text on 28 January stating it was urgent that they speak to me that day. I then waited until their next call (on Monday 1st February), answered it and told them "in writing only" and hung up, which seems to have finally prompted them to send a 2nd letter.

The letter states:

Following our initial letter, we are disappointed that your account with Xercise 4 Less is still in arrears and our fee has not been paid. We would still like to reach an amicable resolution to this, however, if you fail to respond to this letter, we will have no option but to commence further action to recover the monies owed.

The letter then goes on to threaten 1) legal action or 2) passing the account to another collection agency.

I've drafted the reply below but would really appreciate some advice on anything to add / remove before I send it:

Dear Mr Avery,

I refer to demands from Harlands / CRS about my gym membership.

I am extremely disappointed to have received a second letter from you, and furthermore to have received a letter which failed to respond to the content of my reply sent by post on 2 November 2015, confirmed received by your office via a text from CRS on Friday 6 November 2015.

My position on this matter remains unchanged. My membership at Xercise 4 Less gym in Kirkstall began on 25 June 2014 with a minimum contractual term of 12 months, with the final payment of the minimum term due and paid on 26 May 2015. I visited the gym on 4 June 2015 to cancel my membership as the minimum contractual term had been completed. A member of staff on reception provided me with a cancellation form, which I completed in reception, signed, and returned to the staff member, who countersigned the form. The staff member then provided me with a photocopy of the cancellation form upon my request. I was told by the staff member that one more payment of £9.99 would be taken from my account on 25th June 2015, after which date the direct debit mandate should be cancelled. I allowed this final payment to be taken, and the direct debit was subsequently cancelled as per these instructions.

I have once more enclosed the signed and dated cancellation form for your records.

As above, and as stated in my previous letter, I owe Xercise 4 Less no further payments, having completed the cancellation process in full and in accordance with the gym's guidelines, and I will pay nothing to Harlands or CRS. This is my final notice that any further demands will result in a formal complaint to Trading Standards and the CMA.

I wondered if I should also send a copy to Xercise 4 Less?

I know the most likely next step is that they'll completely ignore my letter again and pass it on to Spratts or similar, but want to make sure I can say I've covered all bases when it does.

Thanks once again for your help in advance, any advice much appreciated!

Hi Largo,

That's far too many words to waste on Harlands/CRS. I'd tell them :-

I've received demands from you and must refer you to my letter of 2nd November.

My letter set out my position clearly and I have neither the desire, nor the need, to communicate with you further.

If you make any more demands or refer the matter to Zinc or Spratt Endicott, formal complaints will be sent to Trading Standards and The CMA.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Update! Sent the letter to CRS and after reading advice on another thread also sent this email to the CEO with a copy of the letter and cancellation form on Friday afternoon:

"Please find attached correspondence with CRS / Harlands regarding the cancellation of my membership at Xercise 4 Less in Kirkstall, Leeds.

My membership was cancelled in accordance with the gym's guidelines last June after completing the minimum contractual term of the membership, and I owe nothing more either to Xercise 4 Less or CRS / Harlands.

I am being harrassed with letters, phonecalls and texts from CRS / Harlands in spite of this, and I would appreciate your intervention in this matter before it proceeds any further."

He forwarded on the email to member dot enquiries at xercise4less and I got the following email this afternoon from Esther:

"Thank you for your email. I have recalled your membership from CRS and had the charges removed. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused."

Huge thanks again to Slick and the posters on the other threads giving advice on this, was hugely appreciated and no idea what I'd have done without it.

Have already made a donation but will make another after pay day!

Thanks again :)

Edited by slick132
Spacing added so easier to read

Hi Largo and thanks for the update.

Great news to hear that X4Less have told Harlands/CRS to back off. We'll bear this in mind for similar cases.

Thanks for the Site Donation(s).