• Tweets

• Interesting question regarding what Government accounts opposition parties have access to, before an General Election. From what I understand, Government department accounts that are published are always lagging behind and would not include some amounts which are classified as 'commercially sensitive'.  Therefore opposition parties and Parliamentrary select committees would not have access to accounts which contain real time up to date information. If a new Government have found £20 billion of spending liabilities they did not know about, this could be true, as £20 billion is not that much when you look at total Government expenditure. Government department are making decisions on spending all of the time and it could be the previous Government were planning tax changes and/or spending cuts to balance the books.  Jeremy Hunt has recently said that if the Tories had stayed in Government and held an Autumn budget, it would have been very difficult to cut taxes as some had wanted.
    • Everyone knows the tories were hiding the costs - and even added 4 billion quid to the taxpayers high interest credit card to fund a chunk of the NI tax reduction - prime example - look at how much cost was hidden re the Rwanda dogwhistle -10 Billion quid     and re the handful of rebels on the benefit limit If the disasters (like the Rwanda rubbish) of Tory dogs being wagged by the extremist minority ERG tail doesn't highlight the issues .. Enlighten yourself here .. (fat chance) Sir Keir Starmer is right to show Labour rebels the door WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK Editorial: Suspending seven MPs following their rebellion over the two-child benefit cap is more than a prime minister flexing his political muscle. It is a...  
    • Trump instigated that didnt he @theoldrouge despite losing the election - and Biden mitigated as much as he could within his boundaries?   "President Donald Trump ordered a rapid withdrawal of all U.S. troops from Afghanistan and Somalia in the wake of his 2020 election loss"   “The order was for an immediate withdrawal, and it would have been catastrophic,” said Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill., one of two Republican members of the special panel. “And yet President Trump signed the order.”   Trump ordered rapid withdrawal from Afghanistan after election loss WWW.MILITARYTIMES.COM The memo was among the latest revelations from the congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol building.   Although i agree that Biden should have done more to mitigate Trump driven disasters
    • ok your WS is wrong. Paragraph 16 and 17 says  you did not contract with evri but this is not true - see below  Furthermore to the eBay Powered By Packlink T&Cs that Evri is referring to, Clauses 3b and c of the T&Cs states:  (b)   Packlink is a package dispatch search engine that acts as an intermediary between its Users and Transport Agencies. Through the Website, Users can check the prices that different Transport Agencies offer for shipments and contract with the Transport Agency that best suits their needs on-line. (c)  Each User shall then enter into its own contract with the chosen Transport Agency. Packlink does not have any control over, and disclaims all liability that may arise in contracts between a User and a Transport Agency post 251 of occy thread - £844 lost    you should also add a paragraph on donough v Stevenson talking about the fact that even without contract there is still duty of care to goods and by failing to deliver this duty has been breached.   Make those changes and post it back up here and I'll check over things again
    • no we cant add the occy thing because leicster are being difficult people so we're just going to go without it for now
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Hastings keep changing the goalposts

Blondmusic
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3258 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am having nothing but trouble with Hastings Premier on behalf of my Stepson regarding a false claim made against him in August 2014.

Hastings wrote to my stepson in Early September 2014 stating there had been a claim made against him. No details of where it happened or the times. My stepson then telephoned Hastings where they took a statement for him over the phone. He stated his car had been left (15 miles away from home) where he works as an apprentice. His employer loaned him a car to allow him to get home.

Hastings then wrote back in January asking how the Third Party had got his details and also requested proof that his car was left at his work placement. My stepson's employer very kindly wrote a letter stating that the car was left overnight at his premises. This was sent to Hastings by recorded delivery in February 2015. I then telephoned Hastings myself (my stepson gave authorization for them to speak to me) asking if they had received the letter which they confirmed they had and I plugged them for information about where the incident happened and the time which they finally gave me (this was 5 months after they first wrote to us).

I have had to continually chase them up by telephoning twice a month asking for updates. I ended up giving them my email address and told them to contact me.

I received an email yesterday stating that they have recorded the date of the alleged claim as incorrect and have now given another date. They have given us 14 days to provide evidence that my stepson was not involved or they are going to pay out the claim.

So after 9 months of claiming that it happened on a certain date they have now changed the date. I think it is ridiculous that they now expect my stepson to remember what happened 9 months ago.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

Think it is time to register a formal complaint in writing by recorded delivery to Hastings Head of Claims and to also register a Data Protection Subject Access Request ( include £10 fee) for all of the claim information (minus redactions third party name/address) I think they should disclose full information about the location of the accident, third parties vehicle details, date of the accident, what the allegation of the accident is etc.

Advise Hastings that whilst the Insurance policy delegates them the right to deal with third party claims, it does not give them the right to deal with a claim, where it is disputed that any accident happened and then not providing any information about what is alleged, so it can be challenged.

Do this ASAP and see how they reply. There is no reason for Hastings not to supply as much information as they have got. If this went to a court, you would have the right of disclosure so that you were aware of what was alleged.

Cannot see any other way of dealing with this. It is not unknown for third party drivers to make mistakes eg. wrong registration number provided, so wrong vehicle indentified.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

After speaking with my stepson he thinks he was at his mothers that weekend. He going to double check his calendar from last year when he gets in.

I have already complained by email but I will follow it up in writing along with a SAR this week.

My stepson has been paying an increased premium all the time that this has been going on and Hastings have also removed his 2 years no claim discount he had prior to this claim being made.

After speaking with my stepson he thinks he was at his mothers that weekend. He going to double check his calendar from last year when he gets in.

I have already complained by email but I will follow it up in writing along with a SAR this week.

My stepson has been paying an increased premium all the time that this has been going on and Hastings have also removed his 2 years no claim discount he had prior to this claim being made.

It is a lesson to anyone in this situation, is to get the complaint in and the SAR as soon they are made aware of a third party allegation of accident they don't think they had. Don't leave it for months to deal with, as time goes by and you may not remember. Also once you have the information, you may well be able to prove you did not have the accident.

I have read another thread on CAG, where an accident happened in part of the country where they had never been to. Mistakes happen.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks. I have got the complaint drafted, I have an SAR template on my PC at home and I will get that printed off ASAP.

We did prove that the car was at his placement, thanks to his boss providing a letter, on the date they originally gave us. Hastings have made the mistake of recording the wrong date but they have now said it happened 10 days later.

Thanks. I have got the complaint drafted, I have an SAR template on my PC at home and I will get that printed off ASAP.

We did prove that the car was at his placement, thanks to his boss providing a letter, on the date they originally gave us. Hastings have made the mistake of recording the wrong date but they have now said it happened 10 days later.

Probably a Supermarket car park somewhere. Allegation of your step Son hitting another car and then driving away. These are fairly common allegations.

I should have added, that you could ask for details of any witness statements that the third party has obtained and supply these with any redactments required.

I got on the phone to Hastings claim department yesterday again. They refused to accept a statement from my Step-son's mother saying she would be biased and they want independent witnesses as to where he was. On the other hand they did say to send them any photo's we had of the car prior to the alleged incident date which we found on my Step-son's Facebook page. When I looked at them it does look like the front bumper has been pushed in. I also did a screenshot of the date these pictures were uploaded to Facebook.

I got on the phone to Hastings claim department yesterday again. They refused to accept a statement from my Step-son's mother saying she would be biased and they want independent witnesses as to where he was. On the other hand they did say to send them any photo's we had of the car prior to the alleged incident date which we found on my Step-son's Facebook page. When I looked at them it does look like the front bumper has been pushed in. I also did a screenshot of the date these pictures were uploaded to Facebook.

Ask your Step Son whether he would be willing to go in front of a Judge in a court and make a statement that he never had any accident in the next street and is not aware of his car being involved in any accident.

I am not doubting your Step Son, but sometimes people can be forgetful or someone else drove his car on the day in question and managed to have an accident. Perhaps the other person did not have a licence and/or no Insurance to drive the car, therefore they do not wish to get them into trouble. They may have taken the car without your Step Son being aware of it. I speak from personal experience, as a friend of mine when I was a teenager, use to borrow his Mums Mini to drive to the local shops, when he had not passed any test and did not have any Insurance to drive the car..

If the frontbumper damage cannot be explained, you may just have to accept Hastings dealing with the claim on the basis that it is not possible to dispute the third party claim.

Looking at the picture from when we originally bought the car the bumper does look pushed in. Step-son says he has a memory card in his old phone with pics of the car on it so he going to have a look and try to find more pictures.

No-one else drives his car. His mother lives approximately 13 miles away from us in another town. He has visited his mother every fortnight since he passed his test and got his first car 3 years ago. Yes he would be willing to make a statement in front of a judge.

Looking at the picture from when we originally bought the car the bumper does look pushed in. Step-son says he has a memory card in his old phone with pics of the car on it so he going to have a look and try to find more pictures.

No-one else drives his car. His mother lives approximately 13 miles away from us in another town. He has visited his mother every fortnight since he passed his test and got his first car 3 years ago. Yes he would be willing to make a statement in front of a judge.

Would you step Son making a statutory declaration make any difference ?

I cannot see why Hastings would pay out, when there is no evidence. I just do not understand it.

• 3 months later...

Well we are still having a carry on with Hastings.

It has now been over a year and we are still no further forward. I sent the pictures to Hastings showing that the car already had front impact damage when it was bought. Hastings have passed several thousand disputed claims onto a company called C&S. I have had to chase them for updates several times and finally received an email back today as follows,

We have been in contact with the third party representatives who have reviewed the images you provided but their position remains the same. They do not believe the images prove anything and would need further evidence to suggest Mr XXXXXX was not involved.

We have requested the other parties repair documents and images to review and we will return to you shortly.

I am getting an SAR into Hastings this week.

Well we are still having a carry on with Hastings.

It has now been over a year and we are still no further forward. I sent the pictures to Hastings showing that the car already had front impact damage when it was bought. Hastings have passed several thousand disputed claims onto a company called C&S. I have had to chase them for updates several times and finally received an email back today as follows,

We have been in contact with the third party representatives who have reviewed the images you provided but their position remains the same. They do not believe the images prove anything and would need further evidence to suggest Mr XXXXXX was not involved.

We have requested the other parties repair documents and images to review and we will return to you shortly.

I am getting an SAR into Hastings this week.

Well i would suggest that it is time to tell the third party to 'put up or shut up' i.e for them to issue the court claim against your step son and he will defend it, holding the third party to strict proof. Suggest to Hastings that they do this or provide the third parties address for him to send the letter.

What evidence has the third party provided ? An SAR is needed for a copy of all the claims information to see what they have been sent.

We haven't had any evidence from the Third Party as yet. I emailed them back telling them I wanted strict proof from the Third Party that my stepson was liable.

Definately going for put up or shut up and sending SAR asap

I bet the third party bashed into a gatepost or the like, looked around locally for a car with a dent and then chose that one as being the vehicle which caused the damage. If the claim is for a smallish amount (up to £4000 in some cases) the insurance company will just settle rather than fight the claim in court. Both my daughter and myself have suffered such types of claim, the amounts being around £1000+ but the insurers didnt ask for evidence of damage or repair, photographic evidence (which I had via in-car camera) or for rebuttal statements for the claims. They complain that fraud is costing them fortunes but they collude in it and do nothing to stop it at the lower end of the financial scale. Sometimes just asking the repairing garage for the replaced parts (they would belong to the insurer by now anyway) would stymie a lot of claims where no work was actually done or was unnecessary.

In your case inspection of the damage on the claimants vehicle would determine whether the impact was with your stepson's car (or at least a similar one) or something completely different. Inspection of the scene would also throw up paint flecks that would show what was there. I would bet that if that had been done soon after the supposed event no bits of paint or plastic would be present because it didnt happen as claimed.

• Confused 1

Thank you Ericsbrother.

We feel that Hastings are just messing around and are going to pay the claim out regardless of what we do. I will ask them if an inspection was done and if there were any flecks of paint on their car.

Unfortunately we no longer have the car my stepson was driving at the time of the alleged incident. He traded it in for something newer and he now has a dashcam fitted.