• Tweets

• S13 (2)The creditor may not exercise the right under paragraph 4 to recover from the keeper any unpaid parking charges specified in the notice to keeper if, within the period of 28 days beginning with the day after that on which that notice was given, the creditor is given— (a)a statement signed by or on behalf of the vehicle-hire firm to the effect that at the material time the vehicle was hired to a named person under a hire agreement; (b)a copy of the hire agreement; and (c)a copy of a statement of liability signed by the hirer under that hire agreement. As  Arval has complied with the above they cannot be pursued by EC----- ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- S14 [1]   the creditor may recover those charges (so far as they remain unpaid) from the hirer. (2)The conditions are that— (a)the creditor has within the relevant period given the hirer a notice in accordance with sub-paragraph (5) (a “notice to hirer”), together with a copy of the documents mentioned in paragraph 13(2) and the notice to keeper; (b)a period of 21 days beginning with the day on which the notice to hirer was given has elapsed;  As ECP did not send copies of the documents to your company and they have given 28 days instead of 21 days they have failed to comply with  the Act so you and your Company are absolved from paying. That is not to say that they won't continue asking to be paid as they do not have the faintest idea how PoFA works. 
    • Euro have got a lot wrong and have failed to comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4.  According to Section 13 after ECP have written to Arval they should then send a NTH to the Hirer  which they have done.This eliminates Arval from any further pursuit by ECP. When they wrote to your company they should have sent copies of everything that they asked Arval for. This is to prove that your company agree what happened on the day of the breach. If ECP then comply with the Act they are allowed to pursue the hirer. If they fail, to comply they cannot make the hirer pay. They can pursue until they are blue in the face but the Hirer is not lawfully required to pay them and if it went to Court ECP would lose. Your company could say who was driving but the only person that can be pursued is the Hirer, there does not appear to be an extension for a driver to be pursued. Even if there was, because ECP have failed miserably to comply with the Act  they still have no chance of winning in Court. Here are the relevant Hire sections from the Act below.
    • Thank-you FTMDave for your feedback. May I take this opportunity to say that after reading numerous threads to which you are a contributor, I have great admiration for you. You really do go above and beyond in your efforts to help other people. The time you put in to help, in particular with witness statements is incredible. I am also impressed by the way in which you will defer to others with more experience should there be a particular point that you are not 100% clear on and return with answers or advice that you have sought. I wish I had the ability to help others as you do. There is another forum expert that I must also thank for his time and patience answering my questions and allowing me to come to a “penny drops” moment on one particular issue. I believe he has helped me immensely to understand and to strengthen my own case. I shall not mention who it is here at the moment just in case he would rather I didn't but I greatly appreciate the time he took working through that issue with me. I spent 20+ years of working in an industry that rules and regulations had to be strictly adhered to, indeed, exams had to be taken in order that one had to become qualified in those rules and regulations in order to carry out the duties of the post. In a way, such things as PoFA 2012 are rules and regulations that are not completely alien to me. It has been very enjoyable for me to learn these regulations and the law surrounding them. I wish I had found this forum years ago. I admit that perhaps I had been too keen to express my opinions given that I am still in the learning process. After a suitable period in this industry I became Qualified to teach the rules and regulations and I always said to those I taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question. If opinions, theories and observations are put forward, discussion can take place and as long as the result is that the student is able to clearly see where they went wrong and got to that moment where the penny drops then that is a valuable learning experience. No matter how experienced one is, there is always something to learn and if I did not know the answer to a question, I would say, I don't know the answer to that question but I will go and find out what the answer is. In any posts I have made, I have stated, “unless I am wrong” or “as far as I can see” awaiting a response telling me what I got wrong, if it was wrong. If I am wrong I am only too happy to admit it and take it as a valuable learning experience. I take the point that perhaps I should not post on other peoples threads and I shall refrain from doing so going forward. 🤐 As alluded to, circumstances can change, FTMDave made the following point that it had been boasted that no Caggers, over two years, who had sent a PPC the wrong registration snotty letter, had even been taken to court, let alone lost a court hearing .... but now they have. I too used the word "seemed" because it is true, we haven't had all the details. After perusing this forum I believe certain advice changed here after the Beavis case, I could be wrong but that is what I seem to remember reading. Could it be that after winning the above case in question, a claimant could refer back to this case and claim that a defendant had not made use of the appeal process, therefore allowing the claimant to win? Again, in this instance only, I do not know what is to be gained by not making an appeal or concealing the identity of the driver, especially if it is later admitted that the defendant was the driver and was the one to input the incorrect VRN in error. So far no one has educated me as to the reason why. But, of course, when making an appeal, it should be worded carefully so that an error in the appeal process cannot be referred back to. I thought long and hard about whether or not to post here but I wanted to bring up this point for discussion. Yes, I admit I have limited knowledge, but does that mean I should have kept silent? After I posted that I moved away from this forum slightly to find other avenues to increase my knowledge. I bought a law book and am now following certain lawyers on Youtube in the hope of arming myself with enough ammunition to use in my own case. In one video titled “7 Reasons You Will LOSE Your Court Case (and how to avoid them)” by Black Belt Barrister I believe he makes my point by saying the following, and I quote: “If you ignore the complaint in the first instance and it does eventually end up in court then it's going to look bad that you didn't co-operate in the first place. The court is not going to look kindly on you simply ignoring the company and not, let's say, availing yourself of any kind of appeal opportunities, particularly if we are talking about parking charge notices and things like that.” This point makes me think that, it is not such a bizarre judgement in the end. Only in the case of having proof of payment and inputting an incorrect VRN .... could it be worthwhile making a carefully worded appeal in the first instance? .... If the appeal fails, depending on the reason, surely this could only help if it went to court? As always, any feedback gratefully received.
    • To which official body does one make a formal complaint about a LPA fixed charge receiver? Does one make a complaint first to the company employing the appointed individuals?    Or can one complain immediately to an official body, such as nara?    I've tried researching but there doesn't seem a very clear route on how to legally hold them to account for wrongful behaviour.  It seems frustratingly complicated because they are considered to be officers of the court and held in high esteem - and the borrower is deemed liable for their actions.  Yet what does the borrower do when disclosure shows clear evidence of wrong-doing? Does anyone have any pointers please?
    • Steam is still needed in many industries, but much of it is still made with fossil fuels.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bailiff discussion ( moved from hijacked thread )

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5092 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Pete

Thanks, for that, I've read it a few times, but say you've paid your debt, can they still come round, if so why? They could hound you and become a nuisance!

Say then after you've paid the debt, 18 months later you've got yourself into a bit of a mess again, can the same Bailiff come back an say "Evening, I'm allowed in as I've been here before!"?

Like I said before, my example is of a single Mum with 3 Kids late at night with quite a large figure of a bloke standing at her door?!

nite:)

The bailiff only has authority to do his job if he has a warrant. If you have paid everything, there is no warrant. If he attends later on another warrant, he cannot force entry on the basis of a previous matter.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamming a foot in the door is not a legal entry as you are clearly refusing to let the bailiff in. If you refuse access to a secure property then, no, entry cannot be forced (unless you are being pursued for an unpaid fine).

The bailiff will return the matter to the council who may then take committal proceedings on the basis of wilful refusal.

Committal, i take i that means prison :( eeeek, so my only option really is sell my goods before the bailiff and try and pay the amount :( cause i seriously do not have the cash for this and wont in a months time either.

If you read DJX's thread, I believe that you wuld find the bailiff acting in their situation to be unreasonable. They have been under the illusion that the coucnil is sorting out the mistake on their bill - the council had them down as sole occupant, not two people. Instead of receiving an updated bill from the council, or even a letter, they were contacted out of the blue by the bailiff with the threat of an imminent visit demanding payment in full or forced entry 'in their absence (no previous entry) - now, surely it is unreasonable to expect someone to be able to come up with over £1000 just like that? And use those tactics? A few hundred pounds may be a different story; I could probably maybe borrow a few hundred from family if I were really stuck. But over £1000? Surely it is more reasonable in these circumstances to allow a payment plan?

A genuine question, now, blfuk: do the OFT guidelines on debt collection not apply to court-appointed bailiffs?

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Committal, i take i that means prison :( eeeek, so my only option really is sell my goods before the bailiff and try and pay the amount :( cause i seriously do not have the cash for this and wont in a months time either.

NO, NO, NO. You can only be imprisoned if you REFUSE to pay, 'wilful refusal', not if you CAN'T AFFORD to pay. Those old ladies put in prison for a few weeks a while ago were refusing to pay council tax. You cannot afford to pay, through a mistake that was partly your fault and partly the council's fault. Please check your own thread for advice.

-----

If you read DJX's thread, I believe that you wuld find the bailiff acting in their situation to be unreasonable. They have been under the illusion that the coucnil is sorting out the mistake on their bill - the council had them down as sole occupant, not two people. Instead of receiving an updated bill from the council, or even a letter, they were contacted out of the blue by the bailiff with the threat of an imminent visit demanding payment in full or forced entry 'in their absence (no previous entry) - now, surely it is unreasonable to expect someone to be able to come up with over £1000 just like that? And use those tactics? A few hundred pounds may be a different story; I could probably maybe borrow a few hundred from family if I were really stuck. But over £1000? Surely it is more reasonable in these circumstances to allow a payment plan?

A genuine question, now, blfuk: do the OFT guidelines on debt collection not apply to court-appointed bailiffs?

I still have the hard worded letter at home, signed by the baliff and certain sections, designed to intimidate highlighted with a marker pen :( this to me is unreasonable and i will be making a formal complaint about this as soon as i figure out how to do this.

Regards

A custodial sentance is at the discretion of the magistrates but the council will have cause to apply because of your refusal. If you sell your goods to defeat distress knowing a bailiff has authority to seize them, there are circumstances where the bailiff can pursue those goods but this is very rare.

If you start dictating terms to a bailiff claiming he HAS to let you pay by arrangement you may well find yourself facing a more determined effort to seize your goods and a refusal of any offer of part payment. Clearly a more amicable form of negotiation would serve you better.

Or, come on blfuk1, its the season of goodwill and peace to all men etc. etc. etc.!!!!!

This makes you start to sound like the idiots that are out there using the sort of intimidation and scare tactics to extort payment out of (usually the poorer end of society) people that don't even know the meaning of negotiate(and I really do think your not one of them;) )

He's thinking of selling his goods to get the money together to pay, not to avoid a levy. 'Payment in lieu, if you prefer' were your words above. Hackles down, please. DJX's first encounter with a bailiff and you start mentioning prison and 'defeating distress', jeez.

-----

The bailiff only has authority to do his job if he has a warrant. If you have paid everything, there is no warrant. If he attends later on another warrant, he cannot force entry on the basis of a previous matter.

Thanks, blfuk1, that's exactly just what I wanted to know! Not that I'm going to put myself in that position again!!!!!

Reasonable, has nothing [in law] to do with distress or execution. Once the order is made by the court, full payment is due. The discretion then lies with the bailiff - so negotiate!

OFT have agreed that their guidance only applies to the collection of consumer debt (which does not include council tax, fines, penalties etc). However, if a bailiff company holds a consumer credit licence (as it may also collect debt arising from consumer credit agreements), then the OFT may view its behaviour in non consumer collection matters with regard to their fitness to hold a licence. However, they will take a view in line with the rules governing behaviour in acting as bailiffs outside the 'jurisdiction' of the licence. In other words, if a bailiff is not breaching the rules of distress or execution, it is unlikely (in my opinion) they would consider fair bailiff practice as unfair consumer debt practice - in such circumstances.

Guest MizzPiggy

Oh Please! Bailiff UK.

Here we go again.

Bailiff UK I challenge you to find a single council, that would support your theory. In fact in our newsletter in January to the councils about council matters I am more than happy to quote your archiac beliefs.

Firstly, the Bailiff can rightly as he stated demand the full amount or levy on goods, BUT....what the council want is the money and would rather the arrangement.

So don't be fooled. The Bailiff Companies do in fact negotiate, why it is not in the interests of the Bailiff to negotiate as our office holds proof of, is that the Bailiff himself, remembering you are paying their wages, does not receive money till it is paid in full. No incentive to make agreements which is why we suggest at all times, phone the Bailiff office direct not the Bailiff.

If you have problems, phone us. To date Bailiff UK, we have not had one unreasonable office to deal with in relation to council tax that have not negotiated fairly. So it rather disputes your archiac beliefs of heavy handed tactics.

The Bailiff you pay his salary yet your led to believe you have no rights. All Bailiff companies do negotiate at different levels. What we do is maintain that the agreements are fair and you are not set up to fail with amounts you cannot afford.

Bailiff UK while you quote legislation and the law, that is fine, however it is not as harsh and rigid as you would like people to believe. You are welcome to spend a day here looking through any of our files if you dispute what we state.

Obviously you don't want me encouring people to pay on installments, however it is more than reasonable as stated, though, not in your interests.

Alison

Reasonable, has nothing [in law] to do with distress or execution. Once the order is made by the court, full payment is due. The discretion then lies with the bailiff - so negotiate!

Hmm. But, as far as I was aware, you can no longer be gaoled in this country for being unable to pay a debt - note unable to pay, not refusing to pay. What can the bailiff do, if there are no goods worth levying on and the debtor genuinely only has, say, £50pcm spare to pay? You've mentioned before the process of referring the warrant back to the court - that happens when it is determined that the debtor cannot pay, correct? But if the above was true, that the debtor only has £50pcm and no levyable goods, then the bailiff would be in effect forced to take the £50?

I don't agree with some of your opinions, my dear, but you're a goldmine when I'm attempting to get things straight in my head ;)

-----

Guest The Terminator
The question is both academic and inane. As the only reason a bailiff would be knocking at my door would be for either breaking the law and not paying a fine or falling behind with local or central taxes, it would simply never happen. I would always prioritise those creditors and if I was in a position of being unable to pay, I would deal with the creditors long before it reached the stage of enforcement.

Bailiffs are a last resort option for most creditors. Of 4 million liability orders obtained for council tax arrears, less than half reach the bailiff because more than half make and keep arrangments to pay.

You still haven't answered the question.

Oh Please! Bailiff UK.

Here we go again.

Bailiff UK I challenge you to find a single council, that would support your theory. In fact in our newsletter in January to the councils about council matters I am more than happy to quote your archiac beliefs.

Firstly, the Bailiff can rightly as he stated demand the full amount or levy on goods, BUT....what the council want is the money and would rather the arrangement.

So don't be fooled. The Bailiff Companies do in fact negotiate, why it is not in the interests of the Bailiff to negotiate as our office holds proof of, is that the Bailiff himself, remembering you are paying their wages, does not receive money till it is paid in full. No incentive to make agreements which is why we suggest at all times, phone the Bailiff office direct not the Bailiff.

If you have problems, phone us. To date Bailiff UK, we have not had one unreasonable office to deal with in relation to council tax that have not negotiated fairly. So it rather disputes your archiac beliefs of heavy handed tactics.

The Bailiff you pay his salary yet your led to believe you have no rights. All Bailiff companies do negotiate at different levels. What we do is maintain that the agreements are fair and you are not set up to fail with amounts you cannot afford.

Bailiff UK while you quote legislation and the law, that is fine, however it is not as harsh and rigid as you would like people to believe. You are welcome to spend a day here looking through any of our files if you dispute what we state.

Obviously you don't want me encouring people to pay on installments, however it is more than reasonable as stated, though, not in your interests.

Alison

Alison - yet again you seem to forget what my post was in response to. Let me remind you:

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Watchdog viewpost.gif

DJX again, that is unreasonable and they cannot demand the money in full as they have stated.

If you would like to give me a call today or email the me then I will if you like negotiate with Rossendales and the Council.

Trust me, they are only unreasonable when you don't DEMAND you know your rights.

Feel free to get in touch.

Alison

As you can see, you stated "They cannot demand the money in full", whereas my correction said, they can! I did not say they wouldn't but gave the reader accurate information to offset your inaccurate information!

Hmm. But, as far as I was aware, you can no longer be gaoled in this country for being unable to pay a debt - note unable to pay, not refusing to pay. What can the bailiff do, if there are no goods worth levying on and the debtor genuinely only has, say, £50pcm spare to pay? You've mentioned before the process of referring the warrant back to the court - that happens when it is determined that the debtor cannot pay, correct? But if the above was true, that the debtor only has £50pcm and no levyable goods, then the bailiff would be in effect forced to take the £50?

I don't agree with some of your opinions, my dear, but you're a goldmine when I'm attempting to get things straight in my head ;)

Non payment of council tax can result in a being gaoled for two reasons, wilful refusal and culpable neglect. On the latter, if at the time the council tax was due and you were required to pay in full (no benefits etc claimed) but did not pay and even though your circumstances later changed, you may be guilty of culpable neglect by not paying when you were able.

I would actually like to here the answer to this as well.

I believe I have answered the question in stating it is inane. The situation would never arise as I would deal with it before it reached the stage of bailiffs being involved - as could anyone else.

Hypothetically or otherwise, the question cannot be answered in any other way - by me.

That's the best you're going to get!

Guest MizzPiggy

The situation would never arise as I would deal with it before it reached the stage of bailiffs being involved - as could anyone else.

A moral judgement by Bailiff UK i think. Assuming everyone has money or affordability in all circumstances?

I again state Bailiff UK, if my information is so inaccurate, please feel free to spend a day in my offices. I noted no comment on the statement I made about we pay your fees, in regards to council tax etc, hence why agreements are not in your interests? Clarification would be good.

Bailiff UK, not everyone has enough money to survive and often situations arise that place people in this vulnerable group. I wish you would not keep quoting the law as it is in its unreasonableness, as there is reason.

Many people are not out to avoid responsability. They are the bad boys that are defiant. People will pay what they can with reason. We have no right to judge on judge this. Not everyone is the bad boys.

Alison

The situation would never arise as I would deal with it before it reached the stage of bailiffs being involved - as could anyone else.

A moral judgement by Bailiff UK i think. Assuming everyone has money or affordability in all circumstances?

I again state Bailiff UK, if my information is so inaccurate, please feel free to spend a day in my offices. I noted no comment on the statement I made about we pay your fees, in regards to council tax etc, hence why agreements are not in your interests? Clarification would be good.

Bailiff UK, not everyone has enough money to survive and often situations arise that place people in this vulnerable group. I wish you would not keep quoting the law as it is in its unreasonableness, as there is reason.

Many people are not out to avoid responsability. They are the bad boys that are defiant. People will pay what they can with reason. We have no right to judge on judge this. Not everyone is the bad boys.

Alison

No. How can a personal observation regarding my own priorities be seen as a moral judgment on everyone else! How utterly absurd.

I'm a bailiff and better placed than many to KNOW that there are a great many people who are in dire straits. I imagine I have met many more than you have. My point, which again you have missed, is that anyone who is not in a position to pay (at the time when they should pay) is able to come to terms with the creditor. If for example, you cannot afford your council tax (at the time its due) then you apply for the various forms of assistance regarding your circumstances.

If at the time you should pay you can but don't and later your circumstances deteriorate, then that is culpable neglect - by not paying the tax when you could. Even then, councils take the bailiff route as a last resort. Contacting them at the point your circumstances change or even as late as when a liability order is obtained, will usually result in an arrangement to pay. This can be evidenced by the fact that less than half of liability orders obtained by councils are actually passed to bailiffs to enforce.

Much of the information you have posted here is inaccurate and misleading. For people to make a considered judgment on their options they need clear, concise and accurate information. Quoting the correct laws which apply to their circumstances can only be helpful in determining a course of action or re-action. What point would there be in posting information which simply shows you’re on-side if it misdirects someone to their detriment?

I don't think that spending a day in your office will help me although it may assist you in understanding the laws which apply to people in need on this site. As you are a limited company I will decline your offer but continue to work with the more established advice organisations such as Citizens Advice, National Debtline and Money Advice - organisations who acknowledge the need for bailiffs and are prepared to work together to ensure appropriate enforcement.

From the way you post information and discuss bailiffs it's almost as if you believe bailiffs are the instigators of action against debtors. Obviously bailiffs are merely a tool in the creditor's toolbox to ensure payment of a sum adjudged to be due. Bailiffs have a set of rules to work by and while clearly some don't fully observe those rules, there's no sense in making people believe that all bailiffs follow that path. If it were not for bailiffs the economy of this country would be critically affected.

The role of debt advice agencies is to assist debtors in meeting their obligations in the most practical and least painful manner - not avoiding them.

How do you expect bailiffs to be agreeable and enter into arrangements with debtors more suitable to their terms when all you do is attack their very being?

Quite mad!

If it were not for bailiffs the economy of this country would be critically affected.

I'm sorry but that's the biggest load of dingos gonads I've heard since I last heard Tony bLiar say that the war in Iraq was justified!!!!

Pete

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

I'm sorry but that's the biggest load of dingos gonads I've heard since I last heard Tony bLiar say that the war in Iraq was justified!!!!

Pete

It's an opinion you're entitled to Pete but not based on any actual fiscal data. According to Government Economists (privately of course), it is sadly the case. It is only by bailiff action that hundreds of millions of pounds of taxes and fines are recovered - and that's leaving aside penalties. Britian is the most indebted society in western Europe and unless the debts are recovered on an ongoing basis, the economy would be in serious trouble.

Guest The Terminator
I believe I have answered the question in stating it is inane. The situation would never arise as I would deal with it before it reached the stage of bailiffs being involved - as could anyone else.

Hypothetically or otherwise, the question cannot be answered in any other way - by me.

That's the best you're going to get!

Obviously you don't want to answer the question which is perfectly straightforward.This leads me to beleive that you would go for option one which is hypocritical to your postings

A fine cannot be "recovered" as it was never spent in the first place.

Pete

I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. Number 6

Guest MizzPiggy

Bailiff Uk, I do beg to differ and you can hold your opinions or state them here, to which people can read. You have every right to do so and state and quote the law and state and quote how you interpret it.

The difference is, that without our service like that of others such as the CAB no one would know their rights and you would be a law unto yourselves.

Bailiffs - your comment about how the country would be affected without you does make me laugh a little as without you, the consumer would be in less financial debt.

Oh Please!!!How did everyone survive before decriminalised parking and parking wardens that are like the Grinch!? There was a civilised system of fairness where you got a fine and there was a judge and you had a hearing and there was order. Now you are judged by a computer...that is like the show Little Britian...computer says..no.....

I challenge you to ask anyone that has received help from our service, while you quote facts and law and how it is, and put fear into them, that has not seen a more reasonable side of the system when we have dealt with them. Our only role is to factually, and I mean factually, to which again you will come back with the words misleading and I will correct you, a fair look at the system as it really is in the year 2000 and it is not half as rigid as you state.

You stated...

The role of debt advice agencies is to assist debtors in meeting their obligations in the most practical and least painful manner - not avoiding them.

How do you expect bailiffs to be agreeable and enter into arrangements with debtors more suitable to their terms when all you do is attack their very being?

We don't attack unless they do something wrong, I assure you many bailiffs know this and there are great companies out there.

We help and assist with people with organising payments and not avoiding their debts. We do not condone avoidance.

However, for every bailiff that is a rogue, thinks and behaves out of the law or guidelines, we will object to accordingly. Why shouldn't we have reasonableness.....what is fair to us...after all.....we are paying your wages!

Again you have avoided answering my statement....

And please note...................

I WILL NOT COME ON HERE AND ADVISE AS YOU DO. PEOPLE HAVE RIGHTS TO WHICH YOU TRY USING LAW AND LEGISLATION TO UNDERMINE OR HAVE INTERPRETED IN YOUR HISTORIC WAY TO INTIMIDATE TO GAIN PAYMENT. BAILIFFS ARE NOT UNREASONABLE, YES THEY ARE NEEDED, HOWEVER COSTS NEED TO BE REASONABLE AND RESPONSABILITY FOR THEIR BEHAVIOUR BETTER MONITORED.

Interesting to note as you stated before....some spoil it for others...you are right...but look at your own industry..the public are not the enemy..they pay your wages remember, so we are the good guys! winks....

Alison

It's an opinion you're entitled to Pete but not based on any actual fiscal data. According to Government Economists (privately of course), it is sadly the case. It is only by bailiff action that hundreds of millions of pounds of taxes and fines are recovered - and that's leaving aside penalties. Britian is the most indebted society in western Europe and unless the debts are recovered on an ongoing basis, the economy would be in serious trouble.

A seperate issue altogether but the annual cost of the actions in Afghanistan and Iraq would cover all of the UK's bad debt three times over.

The amount of money wasted in mismanagement of and provision of non health related treatment by the NHS would again more than cover all of the UK bad debt provisions.

I could go on.

There are many other ways to "recover" monies that bailiffs collect on.... attachment of earnings, withdrawl of benefit, etc. Bailiffs are an anachronism.

To state that bailiffs are crucial to the UK economy is laughable and egotistical in the extreme. I don't think even Gordon Browns ego would be big enough to claim that.

Pete