Am I entitled to housing benefit?

ELC06
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3358 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am on on a low income JSA I have one child living at home, another returns at weekends and holidays from university, and am living off £80 a week. My husband deserted us and in divorce proceedings court ruled that the house is trust property.

Although property is still in both his and my name.Can I claim housing benefit?

Thank you

Assuming you are living in the marital home, the short answer = NO

Housing Benefit only meets rent costs, based upon limited information, you don't have any rent costs

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Based upon the information provided, you would probably be disallowed Housing Benefit on any one of the following grounds: -

1. you are the owner of the property
  2. your liability is to a trust of which you are a trustee
  3. your liability is to a trust of which your former partner is a trustee
  4. your liability is to a trust of which your children are beneficiaries (although this only applies if children live with you)

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

The beneficiaries do not live in the house as myself and my child live there.As the judge has said the trust is not to be a gain to anyone but the beneficiaries so if during this time between jobs I can not pay rent then the trust is losing out.

So the property would have to be rented out which would mean I would have to find alternative housing which as I'm on benefits would have to be via the council.

Thanks for all replies