Microsoft sues bogus tech support callers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3399 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

US software giant Microsoft is suing alleged [problem]mers who phone people pretending to represent the firm and offer bogus technology support.

The callers ask to take over a home computer and demand money to fix it. Some then install viruses as well.

The software company said it had received more than 65,000 complaints about tech support [problem]s since May.

It is taking legal action against several firms it accuses of misusing its name in such cases.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30548029

Two simple tips should ensure you're not conned:

Never give control of your computer to a third party unless you can confirm that it is a legitimate representative of a computer support team with whom you are already a customer.

Never provide your credit card or financial information to someone claiming to be from Microsoft tech support.

I love it when these guys call and I'm bored. I just string them along pretending to be the most computer illiterate person in the world who doesn't even know what a keyboard is and trying to get them to talk me through everything.

I read interesting story about this, a guy who usually strings along these bogus IT support clowns got chatting to the guy the other end and asked him are you happy doing this?, do you sleep at night ?. Turns out he wasn't very happy and the 'victim' persuaded him to use his IT knowledge to pursue a legitimate job and even phoned up later to find out that is what he did :)