Missed Lifestyle payments, tried to rearrange a DD with Harlands - now CRS

roxannareay
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3479 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey!

I joined Lifestyle Fitness on the 08/07/2014.

When Harlands debited my account on the 08/08/2014,

I was unfortunately short of money this day and the direct debit was returned.

Unaware I received a letter from Harlands days later notifying me that the payment had not gone through

and that I would incur a fee on top of the £17.99 direct debit,

which I was more than happy to pay for my own recklessness.

Unfortunately on the 21/08/2014 Harlands made a direct debit of £30.49 and

on this occasion I was short by a couple of pence and my direct debit was returned yet again.

I realised immediately and was very embarrassed to find out that this had happened a second time!

I contacted Harlands to apologise and ask if it would be possible to arrange for the money to be taken out again.

The woman who I spoke to on the phone was very polite, understanding and reassured me that it was fine

because I contacted her straight away.

I received no more letters from Harlands during September or October.

As far as I was concerned money was in the bank and direct debits where set up to come out of my account as they where arranged to be.

However, on the 27/10/2014 I received a letter from CRS explaining that my membership remains in arrears

despite previous letters being sent to me.

I have not received any letters from CRS it came as a total shock

when this letter came notifying me that my account balance was an astonishing £320.13.

Confused, I decided to contact CRS on the 28/10/2014.

The man who I spoke to was extremely patronising and condescending.

He assured me that it was my fault,

despite the fact that I had spoken to somebody at Harlands and had arranged for them to debit my account again.

I want to continue my gym membership.

It is a 12 month contract, I have only paid for 1 month so far!

I want to reinstate my direct debit and pay Lifestyle Fitness back for the months that haven’t been debited from my account.

The man on the phone explained that I could either pay them £320.13 and be free from my gym contract

and that I could set up a payment plan that incurred more fees.

£2.50 charge every time I make a payment.

Total nonsense.

I explained I didn't want to leave the gym and he said that it would cost me £44 per month instead of £17.99 per month.

Again total nonsense.

I am appalled at how quick CRS have been to add their admin charges without warning!

When I explained to the man over the phone that I hadn’t received any letters previous to the one

I received on the 29/10/2014, he told me that it didn’t matter if I wasn’t notified anyway

and that I still had to pay the fee because it was my fault.

I found this obnoxious, rude and pretty unfair seeing as though I had actually made an effort immediately

having realised payment hadn’t went through and was mislead into thinking that another direct debit had been set up.

I have decided not to discuss anything further over the phone

and I have written out a letter explaining this that I will send by recorded delivery to both

Lifestyle Fitness and CRS/Harlands or whatever they decide to call themselves tomorrow.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice they can give me

I'm only 21 and I've never really dealt with anything like this before!

Thanks

Roxanna

CRS are a no powers DCA

they are NO BAILIFFS

and have no such LEGAL POWERS

they cannot add anything to any debt.

it is also wise , as you've prob read on threads in the gym forum already

to never use the phone to talk with them either.

I would pers simply pay what you owe [minus the xtra fees that are unenforceable]

to the gym by your internet banking site

and away you go.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I'm not sure how I can pay them as I don't have their bank details, and I'm pretty sure if I go to the gym and try to give them money they'll just turn me away say they don't deal with money and tell me to negotiate it with these muppets. Maybe I'll wait and see what the both say back to me first before I start trying to give them money, I could just write a cheque and post it I suppose?

if you filed out a DD mandate and it was active from your account

the sort/account details are on the mandate

ask your bank

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Roxy and welcome to CAG

Don't talk to Harlands, CRS or the gym. Keep it all in writing only (as you already mentioned).

My advice is to write to the gym and send a copy to Harlands. No need for RM Signed For delivery - just get a free Certificate of Posting from the PO when you send the letter by normal post.

Use example letters from other threads or say :-

Dear Gym,

I regret that my DD for £19.99 bounced on xxdate. When it was re-presented on xxdate, Harlands had added a penalty fee of £12.50 causing the DD to again bounce.

Harlands are now trying to collect a ridiculous sum in excess of £320.

Harlands Adin Fees are unlawful and unenforceable penalty charges and' if they seek to collect any amount that includes such penalties, I will not pay them anything. I consider the addition of penalty charges to be a breach of contract by Harlands, giving me the need and right to terminate my membership agreement immediately.

To avoid this, I am willing to pay the monthly gym fee arrears so my membership is up to date. I will also do my best to ensure that future DD's are paid without bouncing.

If you are not willing to keep control of Harlands' demands, I will consider my membership ended and reserve the right to ignore furture demands from Harlands, CRS or Zinc Group.

Yours faithfully,

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)