• Tweets

• The case against the US-based ride-hailing giant is being brought on behalf of over 10,800 drivers.View the full article
    • I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3479 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am new here.

This morning at 7am a Rossendales bailiff hammered on my door.

I was still in bed, didn't answer it.

He put a "final notice" through the door and left.

It demands balance in full in 24 hours.

It is for Council Tax.

I set up a payment arrangement about a year ago for £899.40 including costs,

when a Rossendales man came to my door.

This included a list of stuff they could take if I defaulted.

I kept up with the payments then was late with one in July, but they restarted the scheme when I rang them.

I was late again this month due to being skint and lost track of how late.

The total was down to £231 including the costs for the previous late payment,

and I was paying £78 per month.

The Final Notice demands £406.20 (more costs of some kind) which I simply don't have.

I rang Rossendales and offered the late payment but the (brusque) lady in the office

said I have to talk to the "enforcement agent" on his mobile since she could only take full payment.

I asked why on Earth I cannot talk to someone in the office but she just kept repeating

I have to either pay her or talk to the "enforcement agent".

I am loathe to do so until at least I know more about what to do.

I really don't know what to do.

I am beside myself.

The only money I have in the world is £83 until next Wednesday,

and not much more then,

so paying this month's payment would have wiped me out

and I was going to have to do some creative thinking just to buy some food.

The Final Notice says 24 hours

I presume he will be back tomorrow.

I have no idea what to do,

I hope somebody on this forum can help me.

The irony is that without costs I have paid the vast majority of the original debt,

not that that is any use I know.

Any advice will be gratefully received!

When the previous visit was made a 'levy' appears to have been carried out. Can you post back to let us know what goods where 'levied' upon.

Secondly, what was the amount of the original debt and can you list the charges that have been applied to the account so far.

PS: The above is very important indeed to ascertain what steps (if any) can now be taken by the bailiff.

Also, you say that you were 'late' with the payment in July. Were you given exact dates to pay and how late were you.

The goods were a sofa, coffee table, shelf unit desk, PC and monitor.

The desk, PC and monitor I need for my work, and they're worth hardly anything anyway;

the PC is several years old and has a dodgy graphics card and the montior is a big CRT I got off Ebay for £12(!)

and which itself has a fault (if I switch it off it goes blurry so I have to leave it on 24/7 lol).

The shelf unit is an ancient melamine thing that can't be worth 50p.

According to the "notice of distress" from Rossendales wth that list on the original debt was £838.40 +£61 charges for a total £899.40.

Until the latest charges it was down to £231.70 so it appears they've added £174.50 in charges.

In July my payment date was the 10th

I can't remember what day I sorted it out with them,

later in the month obviously but then they set up a new scheme on the 1st of the month,

the 1st payment on that was 1st September which I paid,

then I missed 1st October.

I've had so much money stress I foolishly put this to one side on the "sort it later" pile in my mind.

Thank you for replying!

*edit*

I made a mistake the missed payment was August 10th, not July 10th.

Edited by IanRB
Added month error

One more question: if they do take my stuff, does that settle the debt, or just reduce it by whatever amount they sell the stuff for? Like, if they take the goods, auction them and get £50, does the remainder of the debt remain?

Whatever else he does tomorrow,

it's pretty sure that he won't be taking the goods you listed as they wouldn't cover his petrol costs to your home if sold at auction.

But the threat of him taking them is usually enough to get some one like you to find the money

from some where and of course to bump up his fees.

Even though he doesn't wnat your items it doesn't mean that he won't charge you for a van to come

and take away your goods thus adding another £150 plus to your bill.

Your next step is to complain to the CEO of your Council.

Explain that without all the bailiff fees you would have virtually paid off the C/T by now.

In addition they are not leaving you with an itemised breakdown of their fees as now required by Law

so you do not know what you are being charged for.

It may well be that you are now being charged the £235 under the new regulations

when the original levy was under the old rules,

but you cannot tell because he is not explaining his fees.

Carry on to say that the bailiff is supposedly coming tomorrow to take your sofa,

a very old computer and a clapped out desk all of which would do well if they raised £50 at auction

even assuming they were not exempt goods.

The bailiff has therefore levied on goods which nowhere near covered the original debt purely to increase his own fees.

You are thus asking the CEO to look into the fees charged and provide you with a breakdown

as you have no idea what you have been charged.

Explain how much you have already paid and how much the bailiff is trying to collect tomorrow

and you would be grateful if the bailiff visit could be postponed until the actual amount you owe could be verified.

It would be a help if you could provide the CEO with an income /expenditure account.

You would be best to send that off today by email and also contact your local Councillor today to help stop the bailiff just in case he does call tomorrow.

If goods sold at auction do not cover the debt, then the remaining debt woud still be outstanding and owed.

Thanks, what do you mean by CEO?

Also, what can happen tomorrow? Can I refuse him entry? Can he break in?

Should I phone this "enforcement agent" on his mobile? I can't think of anything I would say except that I haven't got the money to pay the whole bill. I don't understand the whole thing with Rossendales saying he works for them, but then it was like he's a completely independent agent so they wouldn't talk about anything else with me.

I'm absolutely cr*ppng myself.

Thanks, what do you mean by CEO?

Hi Ian

The reference to "CEO" stands for Chief Executive Officer, or however the top dog at your council is known.

Also, what can happen tomorrow? Can I refuse him entry? Can he break in?

You are entitled to refuse him entry. However, as he appears to have carried out a levy on your goods last year, he will argue that he is entitled to force entry if necessary - this could only be for the purpose of removing the listed goods. In practice, I expect this to be very unlikely - you have made it quite clear that the items are of only very nominal value and I wouldn't expect him to be the slightest bit interested in lugging them away. What the agent will want is cash, and he will hope that out of panic you do whatever it takes to pay him the full amount.

Should I phone this "enforcement agent" on his mobile? I can't think of anything I would say except that I haven't got the money to pay the whole bill. I don't understand the whole thing with Rossendales saying he works for them, but then it was like he's a completely independent agent so they wouldn't talk about anything else with me.

I'm absolutely cr*ppng myself.

Enforcement agents nowadays are typically self-employed individuals rather than employees, and firms like Rossendales contract work out to them. Either way, if you don't wish to speak to the agent directly, you can write to/email Rossendales directly. If you are in a position to pay something/anything, you should be able to do so via the Rossendales website.

Please be reassured that situations like this are very common; if you are unable to pay the amounts demanded, it is generally a case of "toughing it out" until the enforcement agent accepts or returns the account to the council.

Dennis

@natdebtline

• Haha 1

For Free, Confidential and Independent advice: 0808 808 4000

Monday - Friday 9am to 9pm // Saturday 9.30am to 1pm // 24-hour voicemail. Please leave a message to request an information pack. http://www.nationaldebtline.org // http://www.mymoneysteps.org

National Debtline-

Thanks. I have tried talking to Rossendales and they are not interested unless I pay the full amount,

insisting that otherwise I must talk to this Enforcement Agent.

The website's "pay online" facility also refuses me, again referring me to the EA.

I am currently considering ringing this man to ask him to give me more time to get the money together

, and explain the low nominal value of the goods (and that the PC, monitor and desk are not only low value but needed for my work).

I really don't want any more charges.

I've worked out that so far, without all the charges,

I would have virtually paid off the bill.

As it was I only had three payments to go until I foolishly ignored the Notice Of Enforcement because my mind was on other things.

I'm not sure I have the mental reserves left to tough things out.

If I can find a way to pay this, I will.

There is just no way I can do it today.

Should I phone him?

I would try to avoid phoning the bailiff unless you can tape the conversation.

You could deal with him by text him instead so that you have a record of the conversation that you can retain.

But you would be better calling your local Councillor to try and stop the bailiff from coming

until you have a clear picture of what is owed as

some bailiffs do add on extra costs that go into their pocket as well as getting that letter to the Council.

[best to write to the CEO so that it avoids the lower clerks who may not work for the Council

but for a Company such as Capita who have several bailiff companies within their group.

It prevents a conflict of interest shall we say,

plus the CEO will get to know what is happening at grass root level.]

If you do have to phone him then make sure you record the call.

In my view the sole purpose of your call would be to establish the fees they have added to the account,

and which Court granted his Certificate.

There is no way on earth the goods he has seized would have come anywhere paying fees

never mind a proportion of the debt.

I would thus argue that at the time the levy was made it was with the sole intention of gaining a financial gain both for himself & his company.

Therefore the levy fee & all associated costs should be removed and replaced with a Visit Fee if applicable & a reworking of fees for this visit.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am sorry to go back to the fees but it is so important to ascertain whether the bailiff has already charged the maximum or whether he is missing the 'old regs' with the new.

You say in your initial post that the debt had been £899.49 with COSTS'.

Could you let us know the following:

The amount of the Liability Order passed to Rossendales

The exact amount of how much you have paid

The amount of any fees that you can see on the documentation to hand.

The next questions are also important:

Are you single, etc and do you have any children?

Is there any 'vulnerability' in the family?

Are your working?

PS: Please try not to worry.

Well this was probably the wrong thing to do, but I rang him and after some flannel agreed to pay him next Wednesday. How I don't know, but I'll have to think of something in the next week. Which is going to be interesting. I panicked basically. Still it is a week's breathing space of a kind.

I've kind of lost track of what the precise original figure was. I am confusing myself trying to work out what I paid and what the outstanding liability was at any moment, so I will post again later when I can make some sense of it. But the last NOE was £231.70, but now with costs I owe £406.20 so that's costs of £174.50.

Thank you everyone for the help so far.

Well yes it was the wrong thing to do but it has given you some breathing space. You cannot make arrangements with these

people and then fail to keep to it as all it does is give them an excuse to ratchet up their fees. As they are [or should be]

charging you under the old regulations, this can be a further £150 plus!

However it has given you have the time to write to the CEO with your complaint and ask him/her to confirm what fees have been charged to date and when and why they were incurred. Point out that the more fees that are charged, the longer it will take for you to repay their Council tax which is not what either of you want. Confirm that you do want to pay your Council tax but your finances are not strong enough to combine that with the fees charged by the bailiffs.

You should still contact your local councillor to help you. Ideally the Council could take back your case and cancel the bailiffs but that will require that you write to the CEO at the very least.