• Tweets

• My autistic son brought a van from a private seller. ( there was 5 other cars on his drive and another van, plus loads of machanic tools in his hallway,  so he probably is a unofficial dealer).  He gave the van a once over, he checked for any warning lights that might be on, there was none. He checked underneath for any rust etc, it all looked fine. The body was rough, but you'd expect that for the age of the van.  He got his brothers machanic to give it a pre mot check, as the van was old so he expected it to have a few problems. The van is a deathtrap, the seller had blacked out all the warning lights that were on the dash,  and I mean all.  He had also painted some kind of black stuff on the underside, to hide all the damage there.   My son drove it for over 2 hours to get it home. The machanic said he's surprised my son is still alive, and an untrained eye would not of seen what the seller had done.  Iv asked the seller for a refund and for him to have the van back, but he is refusing. Is there anything we can do.   
    • First of all it sounds as if your retailer is very decent and very responsible. This itself is unusual in these kinds of circumstances and I think we need to bear this in mind. The guarantee is not particularly relevant and in fact the dealer had a statutory duty to exercise a certain responsibility for your computer – probably for several years as their obligation under the consumer rights act. The dealer may not have known this and it simply acting out of a sense of moral responsibility and that is even more noteworthy. You've already suggested earlier that you didn't really want to cause problems for your retailer. I think that you will need the help of your retailer as well in order to get information and evidence. I suggest that you proceed against DPD – but before you do that – I suggest that you have a discussion with the retailer. Tell them that this is what you are going to be doing and you would like to have a copy of anything they have which relates to the special instructions which apparently your dealer has already informed you about in relation to where item should be left. Secondly, maybe you should tell your dealer about this site and also about this thread. I can imagine like many dealers who are frequently sending items by means of couriers, they have had things go missing. Tell them that we will be very happy to help them recover money for lost or damaged or stolen items – and that is regardless of whether or not they have purchased insurance. Apart from being very pleased to help your dealer recover items which have been lost by irresponsible parcel delivery companies, I think we need to encourage the complicity between you and them so they will be pleased to support you in your claim against DPD. It will be helpful if you can get a copy of the instructions that you have referred to above, and also if you can get some written evidence of your own instruction that your laptop should be left in a safe place. Have you done the reading on this sub- forum? You will need to do lots of reading of many of the similar stories on this sub- forum. They won't necessarily be against DPD but the principles will broadly be the same. Also read the pinned topics at the top of the sub- forum in order to understand many of the principles involved. Getting your money back but be quick – but your chances of success are better than 90% that you can bank on it taking anything up to a year. Have you got anything in writing from DPD either refusing you or telling you that they won't discuss with you?  
    • Thank you for telling us the text of the letter you had from the police. As we don't seem to have come across this before, it would be really useful for us to see the original please. HB
    • Pasco has recalled 104,000 packs of sliced bread after rat remains were found in at least two packs.View the full article
    • UPDATE I went rooting through an old box of paperwork I have and I've found the original Default Notice. It is dated **/**/201*, however.. The copy of the Default Notice that they sent with the LBC has a completely different date on it 😮 Can they issue 2 default notices for the same debt? Where they have changed the date on the copy, they have also changed the amount owed through failed payments and how much is required to be paid by a certain date. In addition, they sent (with the 1st LBC) a copy of the termination of the agreement, which I cannot find the original. However, the termination date is 3 days after the date given on the (doctored) Default Notice, by which monies are to be paid by. So, they gave until the 'x' date to pay the arrears, then terminated the agreement 3 days later. I bet a dollar to a dime they've doctored the termination date also.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3492 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

you all seem really good and helpful here so hopefully you can advice me on a scarey matter.

My husband lost his pig farming business due to the usual rising costs and

rather than go bankrupt we decided to pay off our £80k debts,

we sold our land and paid over half the debts and the remaining debts

I contacted everyone and agreed monthly payments.

All but one creditor agreed and they decided to go down the Marston Group way but we did come to an arrangement with them.

After paying them for two years without missing any payments

they agreed for us to pay the company we owed the money to which we did until one month the payment was returned to us.

We assumed we had completely paid the debt so increased payments to the other people we owed money to,

but the company themselves had gone bankrupt.

We received a letter from the solicitor dealing with this asking for the money in full which was £1200,

this we did not have, but I asked if we could pay £50 per month but never received a reply.

Stupidly, I thought we would not hear again but

we have had a letter pushed through our letterbox from Marston Group saying the debt is now £4299.38

and we must pay in full if not they will come and remove goods to that value.

I have written to them offering to pay £100 per month, paid the first installment.

Sadly, they are not the friendliest of people to talk to and can be very intimidating.

They are now saying they want the amount in full which we do not have.

Please, can they just do this. I would appreciate any help.

Instead of excepting our offer of paying monthly to pay off our debt they got Marstons to act on their behalf.

Our other creditors accepted our offer and the majority of the debts have now been paid in full.

Ask marstons for a full breakdown of the amount owed. Especially if theyve added on a few thousand to the debt.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Instead of excepting our offer of paying monthly to pay off our debt they got Marstons to act on their behalf. Our other creditors accepted our offer and the majority of the debts have now been paid in full.

Has a CCJ been obtained for what you owed?

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The amount was for £6,693.74,

we did submit a defence but we did not attend.

We paid £200 per month until the business folded and

then we were allowed to pay £100 which we did continually until the monthly payment was retunred to our account as the company had gone bankrupt.

Do you have any idea how much you have paid to date?

The downsides of paying monthly is the HCEO will have been taking a share of each payment 60/40 splits are not uncommon in some cases.

Do you still have the original Form 55? Were any goods ever seized?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When the monthly payment had been returned to us we were then told by the solicitor acting for them that we actually still owed £811.84.

Marston did take a cut up until 2010 when it was agreed we could pay directly to the company we owed the money and

then Marston did not take a cut.

No goods were ever seized.

What is a form 55 please.

A CCJ was obtained against you for a sum of money that had gone unpaid.

Following Judgment the debt had still gone unpaid and no suitable instalment plan was made.

The Claimant then has the choce to transfer up the Judgment through the High Court for enforcement.

The Writ that is obtained doing this only lasts 12 months but can be renewed on request

- the cost is added to what you owe.

A High Court Enforcement Officer would usually visit you

- without any prior warning

- he should have left you with some paperwork about the debt

- Form 55 perhaps.

This should give some details such as the Writ No, the date it was transferred from the County Court etc.

Obviously an arrangement was made to pay £200 per month for what appears to be best part of 3 years

- approx up to £7200

- then it was agreed you paid the Claimant direct at £100 per month for the next 3 years

- another £3600, totalling some £10k and they still want more.

There are a few different things that can be done:

1 - write and ask Marstons for a full breakdown of fees charged as advised in an earlier post

2 - in my view a better suggestion is to write to Marstons for a Subject Access Request

- costs £10 but should reveal more info that a breakdown request

- can take up to 40 days for a response

3 - write to the solicitor asking for a list of dates & payments made

However doing any or all the above does not prevent the Enforcement Agent attending and causing distress.

To prevent this you urgently need to apply for a Stay of Execution which if granted halts all further enforcement action and charges.

This is applied for on Form N244

- download from HMCTS website

- in my view you have many grounds for applying.

The cost of the application is £155 but if on certain Benefits or low wage then you may be able to get full or partial exemption

- see Forms EX160a & EX160c for details.

I will also send you a PM on different suggestion to take up, that should be with you in the 10 minutes or so.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Very busy day today so will return to this question in the morning.

You have been absolutely amazing - thankyou. I will now do everything you have suggested. We will have to pay the fee, which is not a problem, as we do not claim any benefits.

Huge thankyou to you.

We have also spoken to Marstons again this morning and they will not except our payments but want £1,000 to stop the van turning up on Monday morning. We are trying to raise this money as we do not have it. We have also told them we have filled in the forms for a Stay of Execution but they were not interested.

Hi - I have spoken to the Enforcement Office ant The Roayl court and the writ has not been re-newed.

If the writ has not been renewed then you need to advise the the solicitor who has put this back into marstons hands to sort out. You should mention you have spoken with the Enforcement Office at RCJ to get this information. I suspect that Marstons are just operating on the say so of the solicitor whithout checking themselves - although it could be this is a recent application that is not on record yet.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We have also spoken to Marstons again this morning and they will not except our payments but want £1,000 to stop the van turning up on Monday morning. We are trying to raise this money as we do not have it. We have also told them we have filled in the forms for a Stay of Execution but they were not interested.

They would say that and if they believe they have a live Writ will continue to enforce. In your case a Stay of Execution need to be applied for in person either at the RCJ in London or at a County Court near you that also acts as a District Registry of the High Court. To see Courts near you that may do this see https://courttribunalfinder.service.gov.uk/ - enter your postcode into the box given and alter the Area of Law box to show High Court - you have to scroll down for this.

The forms are best presented on a morning, explaining the urgency of the application and in many cases a Judge can be found who will hear your application on the spot. If so you then notify Marstons ASAP giving Court, date, Judge & any terms that have been laid down. When you receive the paperwork you also forward a copy to them - do not rely on others having done this. The Form itself can be a little awkward to fill in - I shall send you a guide on what is wanted again by PM.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Again huge thanks. I have rung the solicitor who was dealing with this but he has now left the company and the new solicitor taking over is not in the office until Monday. The nearest court is about an hour away which doesn't give us any time to get the forms filled in and to them this morning!