ESA and Major Surgery

essexmat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3532 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. As some of you may know I moved from JSA to ESA a few months back due to anxiety and depression. In addition to this I was also under a consultant who was trying to get to the bottom of a condition I had causing untold infections, fever and generally not feeling well all the time.

Well, I had my results after around 6 tests and have been told I need surgery - it is a personal condition so won't go in to much detail but it is a 3-6 hour op under GA plus 5 days in hospital and 2-4 weeks rest with minimal activity.

I was hoping to move back to JSA in around 4-6 weeks but this is now not on as I have impending surgery although no date has been set yet.

What is the procedure for claiming ESA for hospital surgery and stays in hospital and rest at home? Should I just continue as normal or will I need to contact ESA with the evidence from consultant when I have it?

Thanks

It is one part of why I claim ESA but not 100% of the claim although ESA know about the condition as I decalred it with consultants notes when I claimed. I am on assessment phase and have been for about 2 months now - got GP appt Wednesday to renew my sick note as this one runs out October 28th

essexmat,

As you do not have a date for surgery, all you need to do for now is to continue to submit Med 3 certificates (sick notes) as usual. And complete an ESA50 questionnaire if one drops through your letterbox. Rethink has a guide to ESA50s for mental health and CAG has a slightly outdated, but still very useful, one for physical and sensory problems.

http://www.rethink.org/

Search for work capability assessment factsheet.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?316210-ESA50-Guide

Should you find yourself called to Atos less than three weeks before a planned admission to hospital, the assessor can recommend that you be treated as having limited capability for work.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/work-capability-assessment-handbook-for-healthcare-professionals

Pages 41 - 42.

Should a Med 3 run out while you are in hospital, ask your hospital doctor for a Med 10 certificate.

Starryeyes.

Brilliant, thanks for this - very helpful. I am renewing my sick note on Wednesday (have a GP appointment) Current one runs out 28th October so they should have it at the latest 2 weeks before the current one runs out. As the sick note is for A&D but now I have a condition awaiting surgery do you think the sick note should also state this? I have already done my ESA50 - it turned up around 2 weeks after my claim but obviously not heard anything as yet although I know they have it as I have signed proof via recorded delivery.

Once again, many thanks

Thanks, sick note will be going off Thursday (GP tomorrow) so if my current one runs out Oct 28 should I get the GP to start the new one from tomorrow for the 12 weeks or from October 28th?

ATOS/DWP do not know about surgery yet as I have no date. In fact even though I need this procedure done it is not classed as urgent or life threatening so I can't see it being until the new year anyway as I need further tests before admittance anyway. I will of course keep all paperwork and appointment letters for evidence.

Many thanks

Yes. The only advantage to having a sick note start later is that it will cover a longer period of time.

If and when you do go into hospital, make sure you get a MED10 form as mentioned above. You should be placed in the Support Group for the duration of your stay. Even if that's only a few days, it's still £20 or so.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thanks all, my GP couldn't issue a new sick note for me today as his system wouldn't allow it as it was 'too early' He said to try again with him around a week before expiry but that will leave very little time to get it and send to DWP for processing won't it? I am going to call ESA in the morning anyway to clarify

Thanks, I got email otification of reply so came on straight away!

Called ESA - they said it was fine, my last payment on sick note is fine until 30th October so they don't physically need a new one until 7th November so will get one around 20th October and then send it off in good time - panicking over nothing again - even if late they said I can get JCP to scan across to them.

Now to sort my surgery out - not happy, very scared of general anesthesia and not being in control