British Gas Defaults – removal?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3550 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry about the length of this:

Having recently requested a copy of my credit report from Experian, I noticed there are 2 defaulted accounts for British Gas – one for electric, one for gas.

• This was my parents’ property – they had moved out and gone their separate

ways and I stayed there until the property was sold in October 2008.

• British Gas started the account in my name from 03/07/2008.

• I didn't call British Gas to say that I was the new account holder – I don’t know

who did but they got my details and the meter readings from someone.

• I didn't make any payments on the account whilst living at the property but

they say I registered for online billing in August 2008 – I don’t remember doing this.

• I moved from the property at the end of September 2008 and they say that

meter readings were given to them once again – certainly not by me!

• I had no forwarding address when I left the property as I didn't have anywhere to live.

• I (very stupidly :roll:) made two payments of £20.00 on 06/03/2009 (don’t know why).

• British Gas defaulted the accounts on 06/06/2009 – Electric £50.00, Gas £53.00.

Firstly, I sent a letter stating the breach of ICO guidelines on placing defaults after such a long period of time and asking for the defaults to be removed as I hadn't made any payment on the accounts, but they came back saying that I paid £20.00 on each account in March 2009. I hadn't remembered this but on checking my bank statements, I can see now that I did.

I then sent a letter explaining my financial difficulties in 2008 and asking, as a gesture of goodwill and because the amounts are so small, would they remove the defaults, but again they said no. I even offered to pay the outstanding balances.

I sent a SAR to them, which I've just received back. There are statements dated 07/08/2008 and 15/10/2008 for the electric and gas accounts but no other correspondence from them after the October statements.

There are no letters chasing the outstanding balance or saying that they will default the accounts if I don’t make a payment, and I certainly didn't receive anything via email.

I didn't actually speak with them to set up the accounts, and from what I can remember they didn't send me any information stating that they report on credit files. If I’d have known this, I would've made different decisions at the time.

Would going down the DPA route achieve anything – stating that I didn't know they were acting as data controller and that I hadn't given my consent for them to report on my credit file?

Also, considering I hadn't made a payment from the start, July 2008 to March 2009, why did they not default the account sooner?

Is there anything else I can do to try and get these defaults removed or will I just have to put up with them until next June?

Thanks in advance :-)

don't really think there is much you can do sadly.

taking away the fact you didn'ttell them it was your there

and the fact they 'poss' never sent any letters...

the bottom line is you were responsible for the bills

and

you failed to pay on time.

sorry cant see any way around things.

there is no specific 'rules' that they must write

as its not covered by the CCA

and

even if the did, it makes no odds

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...