Advertising Scam - Small Companies beware

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4792 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Fitt,

You'll see I've edited your post slightly. We have to be really careful about defamatory remarks as the site cannot afford to defend claims of defamation, even when it is cunningly disguised. :sad:

There may be genuine booklets being made by some companies but there seems to be a proliferation of Liverpudlian Co's offering dubious ads. I've had a company tell me I agreed to advertise and they have a recording of it. When challenged to produce it, I heard no more.

8-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting but tragic thread.

My names Steve, and I run the My Local Services Business Directories, and the My Local Forums Business Forum.

We have been locking horns with some of these rogue companies for some time, threatening legal action, working with Trading Standards, and also assisting some of our customers who have been pressure sold or miss sold. As with all of these stories, the tactics are the same, pressure sales, dubious audio recording of a customer confirmation, various standards of artwork and the invoice.

The invoices will be followed by threatening calls and letters from one of various debt collectors. If you are in this situation, be strong, don't pay, refer to Trading standards, or if you have abusive or threatening calls, refer to the police.

These rogue companies, with various names, and allegedly supporting various trader/police or charity initiates prey on Small Businesses. Unfortunately, any business that markets themselves online, will be exposed to this potential threat at some point, along with rogue companies offering SEO advice, Google Page 1 placement, a host of other nonsense.

Protecting yourself is straightforward - never agree to anything from a cold call.

That goes for advertising/marketing/telephone packages/mobile phones or anything! If the call gets heavy, simply put the phone down. If it sounds interesting, get as much info as you need, get their contact details, then say goodbye! Do your own research, and then get back in touch if you're happy. 5 minutes on Google will save you a lot of expense and hassle.

It sounds obvious, but these sales people are slick, and will pull cheap tricks like talking about childrens charities.

Use common sense and don't be another victim.

I will put a link to this thread from our own business forum, as we have a similar thread going. The more people are made aware, the sooner this type of gutter marketing will be stamped out.

regards

Steve Richardson

My Local Services

• 1 month later...
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4792 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks