What does this confusing sign actually mean?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3691 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think there's a missing plate. The yellow sign governs the yellow lines (I presume they are single yellows) and there is some additional restriction, the sign for which has fallen off, which the blue plate refers to.

Have you had a PCN for parking there?

No, I park my car much further away and walk, there are some parking bays there, just have no idea if it is permit holders only or what exactly it is.

There is a white sign between them which is just white and nothing on it. It's been like that since Google street view imaged the street, and is like it now still.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.57699,0.09156,3a,75y,318.27h,81.19t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s1JNM94qHoIoxrn60fmtILQ!2e0

Well these signs are next to a yellow line, so they don't say anything about the parking bays. They refer to the yellow line, but in its current state, the sign is pretty meaningless. I do think that white plate was intended to have another sign fixed to it, but as it's not there, then the sign currently contradicts itself and I would think a PCN issued on that yellow line would be unenforceable.

Having looked along the road, there are other signs like this, including one right next to the parking bays (which doesn't have the blue plate beneath it). My guess is that the Council intended to change the signs at some point, put the yellow signs on and removed the old ones - but inadvertently left those blue plates in place.

I suspect there is a footway parking sign missing so the sign wouldindicate footway parking was allowed except for the same time as the yellow line

Yes, if you go to the end of the road where it meets the A12, there is an example of the missing sign https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=51.575439,0.09318&spn=0.001234,0.006968&cbll=51.575571,0.092106&layer=c&panoid=OZu77RiRSX3YUKKywhav0w&cbp=12,208.17,,0,-0.64&t=m&z=18

I always thought that the restrictions had to be on one sign.

So the yellow sign means no parking on the single yellow line between 11am-12pm, the blue sign means you can park on the kerb, but not between 11am-12pm?

Yes, but without the sign showing the kerb parking, the blue sign doesn't convey anything about kerb parking. In fact, I think the yellow and blue signs together, with nothing else, mean the yellow line is unenforceable. I'm not suggesting you park there, but if you did, I suspect you could get the consequent PCN quashed. The council needs to visit and put the signs right.