Renting and credit checks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6391 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am becoming increasingly concerned about the trend for all tenants to have a consumer credit check ran against them.

I was informed by one letting agent when attempting to move this year that because of mistakes I made a few years ago which still show on my file, that I wouldn't be able to rent anywhere, full stop (I went to a private landlord in the end who did not run a check, just references and deposit). I have an impeccable record whilst renting and glowing references from everyone I have rented from, what have a couple of credit card debts I got myself into a muddle with a few years ago got to do with them?

With more private landlords also following the agencies and credit checking what will happen to people with imperfect (but irelevant!) credit history? Are we going to end up in debtors slums? :) How long should people expect to be punished!

Just wondered what anyone else thinks about this issue, landlords or tenants or agencies. I am considering writing to my MP about it!

Alliance and Leicester: started 2/9/6, LBA 7/11/06.

I havent got a brill credit record and my hubby is worse and we've just passed credit checks for new house.

I think it all depends on what your renting history is like also, goes without saying we have beem exemplary tenants and have always been up to date with our rent! we do make it our priority as should everyone.

No it depends on whether you have CCJs and defaults mostly. It's worse in bigger towns and cities. Smaller agencies don't use them as much. You can still find agents that don't do it.

Mine did. Just before I got defaulted. Phew. Have to stay here for 6 years now lol!

What exactly is the problem with credit checking tenants? It is a vital part of vetting tenants when they move in. The landlord is basically entrusting you with £100-200,000 worth of asset, and basically "lending" you(by not getting rent up front) several thousand pounds. If you do not credit check when doing this, the landlord is VERY silly. There is a very definite correlation between tenants who fail credit checks and those who run up rent arrears and/or cause damages etc. Please note I am not suggesting for one moment that this is universal, and a landlord/agent should take account of ALL circumstances surrounding a tenant, and not just the credit check. However, it is a vital part of the vetting process.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

I would be inclined to say it's your loss as I'm a great tenant. But if everyone starts turning me down as this gets more widespread where am I supposed to live?

Alliance and Leicester: started 2/9/6, LBA 7/11/06.