Work focused interview query

bob232
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3693 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Looking for some advise on a current situation.

My wife is in the ESA support group. I have now been added on to the claim and a week later I've received a Work Focused Interview letter.

I am my wifes carer although I do not claim carers allowance (i don't even know if I can). She gets the enhanced disability premium but I have no idea what that is with regards to if it enables me to claim carers allowance?

The problem is I need to attend to my wife 24/7, everything from morning till night I do for my wife, exhausting sometimes but I do it because she is my wife and she is not well. My wife also received a letter saying I am to have the work focused interview and to consent yes/no by signature to discussing her benefits with me in order to calculate if we would be better off if I went into a paid job.

I cannot undertake any work or even be away from home for more than an hour due to my wifes disabilities/illnesses.

I've tried to keep this short and simple at the moment but if more info is needed I can go into it further.

anyone advise?

Thank you.

:bob232:

It's a condition of your wife's joint claim to employment n support that you can be invited to a work focused interview. Attendance is mandatory and failure to participate fully, without a good reason, may result in a reduction to your wife's benefit award. Purpose of these interviews is to discuss your prospects for work and identify activities like training and voluntary work that you can do to increase your chances of finding and keeping a job. Any action plan that's produced from the interview should allow for your caring responsibilities.

The enhanced disability premium is an extra premium added to your wife's income flavoured employment n support. Cos she's entitled to the support component you're deemed to have higher living costs. The premium doesn't confer entitlement to carer's allowance.

As you haven't mentioned it, I presume your wife isn't in receipt of disability living allowance, but from what you've written I'd suggest that you consider whether she may qualify for a personal independence payment. (The new benefit that replaces DLA.)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/pip-assessment-criteria

Should your wife be awarded a daily living component, at either standard or enhanced rate, her award would act as a 'passport' for you to claim carers. And get out of work focused interviews.

Best wishes, Margaret. :panda:

Thank you Margaret,

I understand better about the work focused interview now. My wife isn't in receipt of DLA, I had thought claiming was either one or the other (ESA or DLA). I will look into the personal independence payment, all a bit confusing but thank you again for some insight.

Bob

* edit, also still wondering about the consent form to discuss my wifes benefits with me to calculate if I would be better in paid work. Is there a right way to do this, better to tick yes or no?

Edited by bob232

also still wondering about the consent form to discuss my wifes benefits with me to calculate if I would be better in paid work. Is there a right way to do this, better to tick yes or no?

Tick "yes" - She may have to sign the form somewhere to confirm consent.

When you get to this WFI, start off asking about Carer's Allowance and pester them for information about any other benefits that you might qualify for.

The less time they have to do a "better off in work" calculation, the easier it is for you. If your partner requires 24/7 care, that must be factored in to any calculation if they try to push you in to work.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.