Alleged overpayment of Housing Benefit

Raynorni
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3690 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I've recently received a request to pay £98.98 for what is claimed to be a housing benefit overpayment from when I was unemployed.

I got a letter from my landlord (northern ireland housing executive) basically saying they overpaid the benefit and if I don't contact them within 7 days a debt collection agency will be called in. No offer of any proof simply pay it.

I've contacted them to ask for some sort of proof etc.. since my memory of is this:

Once I started my job, I contacted them and informed them, they had some scheme where I would receive 2 weeks rent as a "sign off bonus" but had to provide payslips, I could not do so in the time frame so they billed me and I paid it.

This was 6 1/2 years ago, and I do not have financial records from that time to prove anything.

My father reckons there is some statute of limitation on this. Is that true?

To be honest I really don't have £100 lying around to be able to pay this and I really think they are wrong on this and the fact that they left it for 6 1/2 years seems to be a joke to me.

Any advice?

Thanks

Thomas

Hello and welcome to CAG.

I'm sorry you haven't had any replies so far. I've moved you thread to the benefits forum where the guys should be able to answer your questions. Here's a link in case you need it.

Thank you to the cagger who reported your thread. :)

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

• 1 month later...