• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bw legal/lowell court claim, JDW Catalogue debt - clueless

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3496 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone.

Just writing in the hope that I could maybe get some advice.

A few years back I had an account with JD WILLIAMS for a catalogue.

Made some purchases from it, was making repayments as normal etc.

They even sold me some sort of PPI now that I think of it.

Thing is,

I lost my job,

split up with the ex wife and

now, fast forward a couple of years ahead I have had lowell chasing me for the debt,

which now,

thanks to me being stupid and hiding from it has ended up rocketing to a total of over £4000!!!

I know for sure that the majority of this balance is made up of charges and late fees etc.

today i received a court summons through my door which was issued on the 10th of february.

I know i have only 14 days in which to acknowledge the claim,

im not too sure what to do now, as i would like to try and claim back the PPI on the account a

nd try and get back as much charges as possible

so that I can get the balance back to as close to what it was (approx £1000)

and then start repaying the debt.

I know full well i should have made more of an effort to do this beforehand but now i just want to fix this mess as best as i can.

Could anyone please point me towards the right direction?

thanks in advance

Edited by citizenB

When was this cat account taken out roughly ? Was it pre April 2007.

Can you post the particulars of claim, so people can advise what requests you can make to BW Legal.

You should send the cat company a Data Protection Subject Access Request asking for copies of all statements of account, a copy of your application and all other data/documentation held for the account.

Hopefully you should be able to defend this and go through all the information on the account re PPI/charges. You may be able to negotiate a reduction to the debt to account for PPI/charges, but will end up with a CCJ for the correct amount due.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Your timeline if the the date of issue is 10 February, is as follows:-

Date of issue 10.02.2014 + 5 days for service = 15.02.2014 + 14 days to acknowledge claim = 01.03.2014 + 14 days to submit defence = 15 March 2014.

As UncleB has suggested, if you can post up or type up the details on the Particulars of claim, we can advise further.

There is a template letter for the Subject Access Request and CCA request in the CAG library, highlighted in green and linked at the top left of the screen.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

pers details showing

please just type up the PoC box bottom left.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

OOOPS! sorry about that... Ok

the Particulars of Claim are as follows...

The Claimant's Claim is for the sum of £4128.35 being monies due from the Defendant to the Claimant

under a Mail Order Agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974

between the defendant and JD Williams & Company Limited

Under Account Reference XXXXXXXXX and assigned to the Claimant on 20/12/2012

notice of which has been given to the Defendant.

The Defendant failed to maintain the contractual payment under the terms of the agreement

and a default notice has been served and not complied with.

The Claim also includes statutory interest persuant to section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984

at a rate of 8.00% per annum (a daily rate of 0.80)

from the date of assignment of the agreement to the date of issue (07/02/2014)

being an amount of £332.00

ok its a cat debt

send BWlegal a CCA request

send them a cpr 31:14 too

even though it COULD take 40 days

i'd be sending JDW an sar by recorded delivery ASAP.

Griffin House 40, Lever Street, Manchester, Lancashire, M60 6ES

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

have you ack'd the debt by mcol yet?

dx

and they

Until you receive the responses to the letters, there isnt much you can do. Obviously if you have any paperwork of your own then you need to dig that out.

At the moment, the most important letter is the CPR 31.14. You can request the following documents.

Agreement

Default Notice

Notice of Assignment

Statement of account detailing how the sum they are claiming has accrued to show default/penalty amounts.

It is quite possible that BW Legal will say either that they are looking into obtaining the information and it will take time or that they wont be able to obtain it.

If you let us know when they do respond, then it might be worth making a request under CPR15.5 for an extension of time.. however until they do respond then we wont know what your next steps should be.

It would be good if you were to obtain a response to your SAR fairly swiftly so that you can start work on the PPI / charges reclaim.

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

OK Everyone..I have typed up both CPR31.14 and CCA Requests for BW Legal and duplicate requests for Lowell Portfolio. I have also Acknowledged the Claim online and marked it for defense. SAR for JD Williams is also winging its way to them via recorded delivery as well as everything else. Will post again as soon as I get any responses, thanks again for all your help guys, it is really appreciated :)

:thumb:

BCOBS

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Again all. Am looking for some more advice if poss please. I acknowledged the claim on 15th feb stating i wanted to defend all of the claim. I also sent of CPR 31.14 requests cca and sar to all relevant parties. All items have been signed for as i have signatures for them all. Thing is its now the 2nd of march and I havent heard a thing. Should i be worried? not quite sure what to do next, and i know time is running out :/

Hi Again all. Am looking for some more advice if poss please. I acknowledged the claim on 15th feb stating i wanted to defend all of the claim. I also sent of CPR 31.14 requests cca and sar to all relevant parties. All items have been signed for as i have signatures for them all. Thing is its now the 2nd of march and I havent heard a thing. Should i be worried? not quite sure what to do next, and i know time is running out :/

Think you have a bit of time before you need to submit your defence. BW legal would probably have had no documents from JDW when they made the court claim. Following your requests, they would have had to contact JDW and it may not be quick to get hold of the documents.

You could suggest to BW legal that they agree to extend the period allowed for the defence to be submitted, so they have more time to get hold of the documents requested. This is covered in this link.

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part15

At the end of the day, if you cannot submit a defence because BW Legal don't provide the documents, you can submit an embarassed defence, saying that you have made official requests to BW Legal for disclosure, which they have not complied with. This should mean that any court hearing cannot go ahead until they are provided and you have the chance to enter a proper defence.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

thanks for the reply uncleb. So in my letter to BW Legal, is there anything i should/shouldnt include in my request for more time? And should i write to the court aswell??? not sure what to do here and am getting anxious as time is running out :(

All the instructions for requesting an extension (CPR 15.5) are included in the above link .

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again Everyone.

Was wondering if anyone could advise me on what to do please?

I Sent the SAR to JDW and CCA & CPR requests to BW Legal.

I even sent a CPR 15.5 To BW and I still havent heard a thing.

I aslo wrote to the court to tell them that I was sending the CPR 15.5 so that i could have more time to prepare my defence.

I phoned BW and all they told me was that the account was on hold until they get the documents I requested from their Client

and once they have them and issue them, then the ball will start rolling again.

I have email confirmation from them of this. Just dont know what to do now :(

Hello again Everyone. Was wondering if anyone could advise me on what to do please? I Sent the SAR to JDW and CCA & CPR requests to BW Legal. I even sent a CPR 15.5 To BW and I still havent heard a thing. I aslo wrote to the court to tell them that I was sending the CPR 15.5 so that i could have more time to prepare my defence. I phoned BW and all they told me was that the account was on hold until they get the documents I requested from their Client and once they have them and issue them, then the ball will start rolling again. I have email confirmation from them of this. Just dont know what to do now :(

I think you can just submit a defence that the claimant has so far not proved their claim, by replying to CPR requests for the information. You are therefore denying that you owe the claimant any debt and hold them to strict proof.

Without the information, I think that is all that you can do. If there is any other points you can make, then you should include them. i.e were significant amounts of excess charges added to the account, is there any chance of it being statuted barred, any disputes raised with JDW, no default notice received from JDW.

Hi UncleB :) Thank you for the advice. I dont think there is any hope of it being statute barred as the account dates back from approx 2008 - 2009. So in my defence I just basically state what you have said? I am also still waiting from my SAR from JDW...that is all the info i am waiting for.

Hi UncleB :) Thank you for the advice. I dont think there is any hope of it being statute barred as the account dates back from approx 2008 - 2009. So in my defence I just basically state what you have said? I am also still waiting from my SAR from JDW...that is all the info i am waiting for.

You should do your own reading around of threads and tailor your own defence. Others without documents being supplied by the claimant, have included something like this.

e.g

1. Paragraph 1 is neither admitted or denied with regards to the defendant entering into an agreement referred to in the Particulars of Claim (‘the Agreement’) the Claimant has yet to disclose any such agreement.

2. Paragraph 1 is denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant. The Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of assignment/balance/breach as requested by CPR 31. 14 by First Class Recorded post on February 21st 2014x date and received by The Claimants Solicitors on x date. The defendant has received no reply to the request and the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement with the Claimant; and

(b) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and

© show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

3. As per Civil Procedurelink3.gif Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

4. On the alternative, if the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

5. By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

Hello everyone,

Thank you Uncle B for the Advice.

I received a letter from the courts dated the 23rd following the letter i sent them making them aware that i had wrote to BW legal with a CPR 15.5.

They have filed this and told me to enter my defence so its in now.

Just hope I caught it in time.

I signed in online and it doesnt say anything about any judgements so hopefully its ok.

Thing is I had a bit of a 2nd thought and wanted to admit part of the debt,

as this would be the balance i originally owed,

its just that the rest of it is made up of charges and ppi and i want to get rid of this first.

So i read the guidelines concerning whether to enter admission or defence and it said that if i was to admit part of the claim

then i would have to enter a defence first as well as an admission.

But now I have completed the defence I cannot submit an admission any longer :/

Is it best that I just left the admission alone and had done as advised by CAG or would it have helped my case further to part defend?

Hi everyone.

Received a letter from the courts today acknowledging receipt of my defence. It states as follows:

I acknowledge receipt of your defence. A copy is being served on the Claimant (or the Claimant's Solicitors). the Claimant may contact you direct to attempt to resolve any dispute. If the dispute cannot be resolved informally, the claimant will inform the court that he wishes to proceed. The court will then inform you of what will happen.

Where he wishes to proceed, the claimant must contact the court within 28 days after receiving a copy of your defence. After that period has elapsed, the claim will be stayed. The only action the claimant can then take will be to apply to a judge for an order lifting the stay.

what exactly does this mean? any help would be appreciated :)

thanks in advance

Jay