• Tweets

• You can edit the answers to be in red or would you like me to do it? HB
    • Apologies dx100uk  I did not put the answers in red  Thank you all for your patience. H
    • Which Court have you received the claim from ? Northampton  Name of the Claimant ? Overdales solicitors  How many defendant's  joint or self ?  Self Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to.  13 may 2024 What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? the claim is for the sum of £6163.61due by the defendant under an agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 for hsbc uk bank plc. Account 4546384809766042. The defendant faild to maintain contractual payments required by the agreement and a default notice was served under s 87(1)  of the consumer credit act 1974 which as not been compiled with. The dbt was legally assigned to the Claimant on 23/08/23, notice on which as been given to the defendant.  The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the county courts act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue of these proceedings in the sum of £117.53 the Claimant claims the sum of £6281.14. Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ?   Not to my knowledge. Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred?  No Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ?  Online but it was for a smaller amount they kept on increasing this with me asking Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.  It was assigned to a debt collection agency  Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? yes  Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor?  Yes I also made offers to pay original creditor a smaller amount but was not replied to Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ?  No Why did you cease payments? I was made redundant and got a less paid job I also spent some time on furlough during covid and spent some 3 months on ssp off work. What was the date of your last payment?  May 2021 Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? Yes at the time I communicated with all my creditor's that I was running out of funds to pay the original agreements once my redundancy money ran out that was when my accounts defaulted. I then wrote to all my creditor's with pro rata offers of payments but debt collectors took over the accounts.
    • Just an update for all. I received about a letter every other week, increasing in threat levels. Then I hadn't had one for a about two weeks, then Saturday received a carbon copy of the very first letter they sent me in February. Made me laugh, rinse and repeat. 
    • So, your response was not received by the SCP as you did not send it with a valid stamp. Therefore, from my two option in post #14, the first option is the only one available to you, but you do not have the option of asking to be sentenced at the fixed penalty level as the reason the SCP did not receive your response was down to you. Here's a reminder of what to do: Respond to the SJPN by pleading “Not Guilty” to both charges. In the “Reasons for pleading Not Guilty” box state that you are willing to plead guilty to the speeding charge providing, and only providing, the “Fail to Provide Driver's Details" (FtP) charge is dropped. This is a tried and tested method to deal with your problem and is almost always successful. Before the pandemic it was necessary to attend court to do this "deal" because it needs the agreement of the police prosecutor.. During the pandemic courts made every effort to have as few  people as possible attend and they began doing this deal under the "Single Justice" procedure without the defendant's attendance. Some courts have carried this procedure on whilst others have reverted to a personal attendance being necessary. If you are required to attend, your case will be taken out of the SJ procedure and you will be given a date for a hearing in the normal Magistrates' Court. If that is the way they do it in the area involved you will have to attend, see the prosecutor and offer your "deal" in person. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Tax Credit "overpayment" - Ahem

Angel Steele
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

I received Working Families Tax Credit (as it was then called) while my daughter was at college 7 years ago.

When she left college I informed the Tax Credit Office of this.

In 2009 I received a letter informing me that an overpayment had been paid and that I owed the sum of £4,600.

I disputed this and letters between myself and the Tax Credit Office went back and forth all to no avail.

Then all went quiet so I assumed they had realised their error. This was in 2009.

Suddenly in October last year, some 4.5 years down the line I received a letter asking for payment.

I wrote to them, disputing this - again - and asking what sort of department they run as it was over 4.5 years since they last contacted me.

Heard nothing from them.

Another letter from them asking for payment.

Wrote to them again, with a copy of my previous letter.

Ahem - today another letter demanding the money and an attachment about how a representative of theirs can take possession of my belongings.

Did they not get my letters or are they just being difficult?

Any suggestions? I may have to ring them but I am loathe to at present.

Fortunately I have all their correspondence from 2006 onwards, plus my replies to them.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions :)

• 1 year later...

Sadly this is still rumbling on hence this post. I requested a SAR from them which I received in February this year (2015). It contained print outs of transactions but no copy correspondence between myself and HMRC over the years. I wrote to them way back with the change of my circumstances but they simply failed to act on this.

Since February this year I have written numerous letters to them, and phoned as well. I have sent a letter lodging a formal complaint at the way my case has been dealt with and finally on Friday (04 Dec) I received a response form them which was written in riddles. They told me they would not consider my appeal, totally disregarded the letter I sent advising them not to harass me any more and seemed to think a phone call I made where I was passed from piller to post with no positive outcome constituted a successful phone call. They also stated that they had not received correspondence from me.

They answer questions with questions, fail to address issues I raise and I feel I am going round in circles here! What can I do to resolve this? Phoning is a thankless task - you are left on hold for absolutely ages and then after all that you are told they cannot help you.

Does it tell you on the letter what to do if you're not satisfied with their response, e.g. the complaints procedure? Once you've exhausted that, there is an ombudsman or equivalent. You could also try asking your MP to intervene.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I sent in a letter of complaint dated 6 November 2015 which they state they received on 18 November.

Their most recent letter says as the end "Our fact sheet (C/FS) entitled "Complaints" describes what to do if you are unhappy with the way we have dealt with your complaint". Then says where I can get a copy from. I find this so frustrating as they continually refuse to acknowledge my letters, or say they have not received them and do not respond to questions I have asked them.

I also get letters from their in-house debt collectors, Past Credit Solutions, who I have advised I will not be dealing with.

I know it is frustrating (been there, done that, independent adjudicator found that I wouldn't have copies of letters if I hadn't sent them) but you need to keep plodding through the complaints procedure. Start the next letter by saying you would like their response reviewd (link here https://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-appeals-complaints/complaints), then go through your letter and their response and use numbered paragraphs to highlight every error/omission. When that produces a final response (you may have to insist they provide one, I did!) you can go to the Adjudicator.

As for Past Credit, just respond once with 'in dispute, bog off' and then ignore them.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

did they ever tell you how the overpayment came about?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Yes it is somewhat frustrating to say the least, especially when they respond to letters in riddles. Despite me writing to say I want to appeal they tell me I am not able to due to the length of time that has elapsed. The length of time has a fair bit to do with their complete lack of anyone seemingly knowing what they are doing.

I will though keep on plodding, and yes I have told Past Credit that I will not be dealing with them.

Thank you for your response.

Seems like a double edged sword they use!!

U cant appeal because of how long ago it was but they can reclaim it despite the length of time, that really isnt on and i fully sympathise with you.

I hope you keep on with this and dont give up, help is always available here.

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

As reallymadwoman has said, you must get their final response and then go to the adjudicator @ http://www.adjudicatorsoffice.gov.uk

Myself and others will certainly help in any way we can, i'm not sure if there are any successes logged here but would create a very interesting milestone if one were.

I havent seen any on here but a quick google "tax credit appeal success" threw a few up on other sites

• 3 months later...

This is still ongoing sadly!

Quick question though - I requested a SAR which has been sent to me but it did not contain any correspondence at all, just print outs of BACs transactions.

I queried this with HMRC and was told they do not keep any correspondence going back after 2009. Is this what other members have come across?

I have written so many letters to them and find it hard to believe that not one was included in my SAR request.

I am not at the stage of taking this to The Adjudicator's Office.