Moving back to the UK due to sudden change of circumstances

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3772 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

We have got to move back to the UK in the next month or so, and I am wondering if anyone has had any experience of being chased for outstanding mobile contracts and for other stuff like Foxtel and Broadband

Also I have a leased car via salary sacrificing and I am also going to have to break this lease, as anybody had experience of breaking a car lease?

Never planning on living in Oz again (maybe return for an holiday at some point in the distant future) and I am well aware of that UK debts can't be chased in Oz. But it appears that going the other way there may will be a risk or at least it has never been proved one way or the other.

I've got credit cards but intend to keep these going if possible as my job entails foreign travel and they are always handy to have

TIA

There are a number of threads on here, where people are being chased for various Aussie bank debts, by UK Solicitors who threaten allsorts of actions. There is also one case, where an Aussie debt owner has got an UK Solicitors/debt collector to issue a UK court claim. This is still ongoing apparently. For smallish debts I doubt that they would bother. The cases that have been mentioned here, seem to involve debts of many thousands, where it is worth them chasing.

As for the Aussie car lease, you would better taking advice in Aus, as there may be ways that you can limit any liability. Perhaps you can pay them a small amount and be released from the contract.

In regard to Aussie credit cards, I doubt you can keep these, if you don't have a residential address there. You might get away with keeping them for a few months after you have left. It depends on what you tell any creditors in Aus about leaving the country, whether they note your credit file and whether the card companies pick this up.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

In regard to Aussie credit cards, I doubt you can keep these, if you don't have a residential address there. You might get away with keeping them for a few months after you have left. It depends on what you tell any creditors in Aus about leaving the country, whether they note your credit file and whether the card companies pick this up.

From my understanding if you tell the card issuers you new address everything carry's on as normal, however I am wondering if due to the car lease, Foxtel, mobile contracts etc not being paid off it will impact my Aussie credit rating (which is good) and they will just freeze/cancel the cards anyway. I am not naive enough not to realise there will be no impact, but if there is I am not going to bust a gut clearing the balances off as fast as I can, if at the end of the day I have the cards withdrawn. Also as the information is shared it may not be in my best interests to tell my card issues where my new address is anyway.

I've read through enough posts regarding Aussie debt being chased in the UK, but most of the posts are from around 2011 and was wondering if there had been any judgements/developments that had finalized the matter one way or the other.

Edited by Gwolst77

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I have been following oz debt issues in the uk for years and have yet to find a single judgement that has been issued against an Aus debt. It seems that maybe only Credit Corp chase aus debts in the uk via stevensdrake solicitors in crawly. There is nothing to say that any debts you leave in Aus will be bought by credit corp.

Most if not all the other DCA's don't seem to bother putting in much effort into chasing overseas. Credit corp if they did happen to buy one or more of your debts would of course have to find you anyway. They appear to have found people who have posted on this site via social network sites for the most part. I know of one poster on this site who even issued with threat letters from Stevens drake either just ignored them or sent them back not at this address and they just gave up.

Never seen a case for foxtel, and phone contract only when combined with a bank or credit card debt,