• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Reverend Paul Nicolson has local authorities really worried as he is "willfully refusing" to pay his council tax ! -WON

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3296 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dumb question time but here goes...

With this case will this then allow a defendant to appeal their cases due to the cost of the summons?

If so this could get very messy indeed

Its just a thought here

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

...With this case will this then allow a defendant to appeal their cases due to the cost of the summons?

If you mean "to appeal their cases" you mean contest the reasonableness of the costs at the liability order hearing, then any defendant can do this already.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember Leicester City council being found misrepresenting its expenditure by doubling the number of staff hours attributable to recovery work in order to justify its court costs.

When questioned about this it replied:

"
We have a fixed number of staff for billing and processing work and whilst they engage in recovery tasks that “
gap
” has to be filled. This has to be an additional cost attributed to recovery as staff duties have transferred from their normal work

Then, on 10 September 2014, further arguments were put forward as to why Leicester City Council's accounting system was not a proper way of calculating the level of costs.

In it's latest defence the finger is pointed at the Magistrates' Court

"
We still believe that our approach in calculating the costs level is correct. As you are aware the costs amount has also been agreed by Court

Only a politician could come up with an excuse like that ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Big OUCH for the muppet Burghers in Haringey:whoo:

They tried to imply their way was the only way, and the people least able to afford to pay would be thrown on the mercy of the bailiffs in extremis

"

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

What does the judgment mean? (my Adobe is acting up).

It might mean that their imposition of the cut to CTR meaning they pay 20% or whatever of the bill from their meagre income and benefits could be unlawful, as the consultation was not in effect a consultation. Potentially all Liability Orders against these people who never used to pay for their arrears may be faulty, as will all bailiff fees applied to the accounts. That is one interpretation.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You have to ask why it is that another London Borough council (Croydon) applies £220 summons / liability order costs in Business Rates (NNDR) cases but £125 for Council Tax. The work involved is apparently the same so why in NNDR applications does it warrant an extra £76% of the Council Tax level. (Croydon Magistrates' Court's approval)

There is a spread sheet for how the Council Tax costs (£125) have been calculated, which makes you wonder (if there is a breakdown) how the NNDR costs have been calculated.

The only reasonable explanation is that the costs are influenced by "economies of scale". The number of NNDR cases are typically only a fraction of the number of Council Tax payers taken through the court system to obtain liability orders.

Turning to Haringey and remembering that the costs are influenced by economies of scale, you come to the logical conclusion that if the number of summons issued in 2012/13 (before the benefit reforms were introduced) was 26,861 and post benefit reforms (in 2013/14) that number was 32,237, the standard £125 summons costs must have needed to be reduced to ensure the council were not profiting (assuming they were not profiting before).

You have to ask why it is that another London Borough council (Croydon) applies £220 summons / liability order costs in Business Rates (NNDR) cases but £125 for Council Tax. The work involved is apparently the same so why in NNDR applications does it warrant an extra £76% of the Council Tax level. (Croydon Magistrates' Court's approval)

There is a spread sheet for how the Council Tax costs (£125) have been calculated, which makes you wonder (if there is a breakdown) how the NNDR costs have been calculated.

The only reasonable explanation is that the costs are influenced by "economies of scale". The number of NNDR cases are typically a only a fraction of the number of Council Tax payers taken through the court system to obtain liability orders.

Turning to Haringey and remembering that the costs are influenced by economies of scale, you come to the logical conclusion that if the number of summons issued in 2012/13 (before the benefit reforms were introduced) was 26,861 and post benefit reforms (in 2013/14) that number was 32,237, the standard £125 summons costs must have needed to be reduced to ensure the council were not profiting (assuming they were not profiting before).

Small Businesses are used to being ripped off for various different issues & a Business Owner would possibly not query this but just accept it as a business expense. In the meantime the Council are quids in.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As far as I understand things it is pure exploitation of businesses. I see no reason why costs should be any higher at all than a normal summons, and NNDR are arguably easier to collect through enforcement than CTax is. It would be interesting to see figures for successful collection rates NNDR vs CT.

As far as I understand things it is pure exploitation of businesses. I see no reason why costs should be any higher at all than a normal summons, and NNDR are arguably easier to collect through enforcement than CTax is. It would be interesting to see figures for successful collection rates NNDR vs CT.

North East Lincolnshire Council highly dodgily manipulated the summons costs of Business Rates to a level three times that for Council Tax some years ago, even though the processes for Liability Order applications are identical.

It states at item 5 of this cabinet document:

5. The decision to charge more in respect of Non-Domestic Rates is one which other local authorities are taking in increasing numbers. (There are two in this region currently, Bradford and Sheffield.) The reasoning behind this is that it is believed that some businesses deliberately delay payment of Rates as the penalty for late payment is so small in comparison to the amount that might be owed. The extra cost is seen as a way of encouraging prompt payment.

Wigan similarly legitimised its decision to circumvent the law by manipulating costs to use coercively, ironically submitting it in a letter to Wigan & Leigh Magistrates’ Court.

For Business Rate cases, where the amounts involved can run into many thousands of pounds, the amount of costs should therefore act in some part as a deterrent and justifies the additional increase over Council Tax.

In the case of Haringey Borough Council, it discovered raising court costs significantly would act as a deterrent and that other councils were doing it already.

Page 36 of Haringey Council's 2004 Audit and Finance Scrutiny Panel Review of Income Collection details at paragraph 6.11, the relevant matter, as follows:

6.11. Court Costs

6.11.1. The Review Panel found that other councils had obtained agreement to raise Court Costs recharged to non-payers by a significant level. This charge is intended to act as a deterrent to both late and non-payers and enables councils to fund improved recovery measures. The Review Panel concluded that the Benefits and Local Taxation Service could improve performance by ensuring that it agrees the highest possible level of Court Costs to be charged to non-payers

Recommendation B2. Court Costs

That the Benefits and Local Taxation Service ensure the maximum amount possible is charged for Court Costs and to review the charge at regular intervals subject to any guidance/legislation governing Court Costs.

Information has been found that points to a calculation analysed earlier in this thread (Great Yarmouth) deriving from Haringey Borough council's.

It can be pretty much concluded that the spread sheet is based on a template which has been used for a number of councils. It has purposely been devised so that it can easily be tweaked to return the round about sum it needs to support its incurred expenditure to the Magistrates court. Two London Boroughs (Croydon and Enfield) have both made these available to the public.

On the off-chance it was looked into whether the source of the spread sheet could be determined by looking into the properties of the file (when it was created, the author etc.). Under the summary tab, against 'Company:', the name entered into the box is 'London Borough of Haringey'.

propertiessum_zps9e295369.jpg

The significance is that Haringey has more likely than not produced a calculation using the same template / format. It is also interesting that the properties also give clues as to when the spread sheet (file) was created (4 March 2010).

propertiesstats_zpsd5b19956.jpg

All this should be borne in mind as the template, although being far from transparent, is more comprehensively detailed than Haringey's breakdown which it has made publicly available (see this link).

To put the above into context, an article published in the Haringey Independent on August 2, 2013 reporting on the council tax liability order hearing relevant to this thread quoted that "the council representative explained the £125 sum was agreed between the court and the council in March 2010 and is consistent with other London Boroughs."

The ministry of justice was subsequently asked to supply all recorded information, i.e. calculations etc., supporting the council's £125 claim for costs (summons costs) which satisfied the Magistrates' court, that the expenditure had in fact been incurred by the council in respect of instituting the complaint and which would include details "agreed between the court and the council in March 2010"

The MoJ flatly denied there being any such breakdown or agreement and reinforced this by stating that the information was not held by the MoJ because there is no legal or business requirement for the MoJ to do so.

This continued with Haringey stating it had provided details and the MoJ maintaining it held no records until Haringey eventually produced the emails it sent to the court and by all accounts the breakdown was the one contained in this correspondence (see a previous link) which is based loosely on the template. Evidently it is a watered down version of the one produced by Yarmouth Borough Council but will no doubt have derived from a more comprehensive calculation which is kept from being made public.

This is a scandal that has been ongoing for so many years and no doubt is now seen as 'normal' practice for local authorities.

I don't exactly know what Haringey Borough Council are up to but I found something that may benefit from an accountant taking a look. What the quote below seems to be saying (second to last sub-paragraph to 5.10) is that it budgets for a surplus of income from court costs to be used to prop up other council expenditure (Customer Services).

£400k overspend in customer services predominately due to slippage in delivery of the 2014/15 savings (£660k) partially offset by forecast over achievement of court costs income.

There are similarities between the case below and how councils use income generated from court costs to prop up other administration.

Attfield, R (on the application of) v London Borough of Barnet [2013] EWHC 2089 (Admin) (22 July 2013)

Above link needs substituting an 'A' for the 'a' in admin (Admin)

Outlawla I could not find the case using your link but so I bypassed it by going straight to Baillii.org so I have included the link below and perhaps one of them will help others.

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/sino_search_1.cgi?sort=rank&query=Attfield and R and 2013&method=boolean&highlight=1&mask_path=ew wales uk/cases/UKPC uk/cases/UKHL

However it appears to be more that the Council were using Parking as a means of raising revenue rather than Court costs as evidenced by this statement

17. The report went on to consider options for "maximising income". Among other steps, it referred to an ongoing review of the existing fees and charges for parking as part of a full review of the special parking account and all related income and expenditure.

Equally as bad of course and just as unlawful as confirmed by the Judge.

Thanks for providing the alternative route to the case.

There are some more admissions.

Court costs seem to be a good source of income for subsidising other budgets at Haringey.

Page 15 item 2

Revs, Bens & Customer Services Management Costs - the underlying cause of this over spend is the higher than planned demand for services particularly around benefits. This has led to notable over spends on salaries and postage costs. These pressures have mitigated down by an overachievement of income from reimbursement of court costs incurred during recovery activity.

The following report more seriously admits that the council saved, rather than used funding given it by the government to pay council tax benefit claimants.

Page 5

Revenues, Benefits & Customer Services - Management - the funding and responsibility for local welfare provision (Support Fund) transferred to local authorities from April 2013. Haringey along with many other authorities has significantly underspent this grant (£877k) and proposes to transfer it to a reserve for drawdown in the future. This is particularly important as the government has confirmed that funding will cease from 2015/16. The remaining under spend (£446k) is due to over achievement of court cost income and receipt of one-off grant funding largely in support of the changes to welfare and universal credit.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3296 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks