Old Capital One debt - not sure how to handle it.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3803 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We've been getting letters from Debt Managers (Services) Ltd. This relates to an old debt my wife had with Capital One which currently stands at £1691.05. She had been paying just £5 per month via direct debit but cancelled it in May because she thought it had been paid off. She'd received no statement from Capquest so had no idea where she stood with the debt. I don't think she realised just how big her credit card debt had been.

I know that the debt itself is more than 6 years old now but as she had been paying it off I'm not sure where the law stands on it.

Thread move to General Debt Collection

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi there,

The date when it becomes statute barred is six years from the last acknowledgment of the debt or the last payment, so that won't help here.

You can write to Capital One asking for a copy of the alleged credit agreement and we can see what they come up with.

When was the card first taken out?

DD

Ah yes, good ole creditors shirking their responsibilities and hoping to get away with it!

Does she have a history of these payments herself? Bank statements?

You may find you need to submit a SAR £10 in order to get the information THEY should have been sending annually whilst the payment plan was in place.

However, as they havent done so, it would suggest to me that they have been adding interest and perhaps charges on this, so the balance was never beng reduced at all.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

If your OH can check her bank statements as far back as she can to see what she may have paid then that will be a good start,

failing that then a SAR to the Original Creditor (OC) will be the best way forward.

In the mean time, any and all payments should STOP.... don't want to throw good money after bad!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Check credit reference files. When did your partner start the reduced payments?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

You mention Capquest, but only in passing. Capital One use them as a DCA but they are better known on this forum as a debt purchaser.

In what capacity are they acting here? If they purchased the debt, CQ will have sent you a letter of assignment from themselves and one pretending to be from C1.

Don't be alarmed at Debt Managers' spineless threats, including letters they send out purporting to be from Russel Aitken solicitors. Peeps here will advise what you can do.

That said, I find it curious to stop paying a debt just because you think it must be repaid without attempting to obtain a statement of account.

You mention Capquest, but only in passing. Capital One use them as a DCA but they are better known on this forum as a debt purchaser.

In what capacity are they acting here? If they purchased the debt, CQ will have sent you a letter of assignment from themselves and one pretending to be from C1.

Don't be alarmed at Debt Managers' spineless threats, including letters they send out purporting to be from Russel Aitken solicitors. Peeps here will advise what you can do.

That said, I find it curious to stop paying a debt just because you think it must be repaid without attempting to obtain a statement of account.

It has been known many times that a DCA won't tell you when the debt is fully paid and continue taking the profit. Getting it back is very hard (but not impossible).

I would imagine that doing some simple calculations would suffice in working out what was (or was not) owed however, I agree that it would have been better to demand a statement considering that the DCA should have been sending one annually.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE