DWP Home Visit

LauraJones123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3840 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I would like some advice, I apologise that this is a little long but the situation is a bit complicated.

I have a close friend who I have known since I was age 12.

He has been claiming ESA since his release from prison in 2009,

and since that time I have been helping him in a number of ways with things related to his release and his resettlement.

He is my best friend’s brother and I have legal knowledge as an ex-law student,

I’ve helped him in the past with probation visits,

keeping his cool at the job centre and keeping receiving his benefits,

and by letting him

a) use my address to open a bank account and claim his benefit payments, and

b) allowing him to sleep here on occasion so he can stay out of trouble.

He doesn’t appear on any mail related to anything but his own account and benefits.

He is not on my tenancy or my bills because I am responsible for those and the place

(a studio with no bed, just a sofabed for myself) are solely mine and in my name.

He is a drug user and has connections around the local area with unsavoury characters with whom he lodges sometimes as I am aware.

I have also had him arrested for his behaviour at my address on two occasions.

We are essentially good friends and I am essentially someone who wants to help this person get on his feet.

Perhaps to my detriment I have always wanted the best for him and feel since his release from prison (where he served 9 years for drug-related offences).

He has had absolutely no real help from the system and I have taken it upon myself to try and get him on his feet, out of his drug use, and avoid total homelessness.

We have both told the benefits office that he uses my address as a care of address,

although they never put this on his mail, it always comes with his name and my address on.

He has been on ESA for mental health-related issues.

A few months ago he won his tribunal with the ESA and received a large sum of money from them in back pay.

I went to this tribunal with him as a friend an explained to them all of the above,

and that it was difficult for him to think about getting work due to his instability in mental health

and in circumstances (i.e. his being officially of no fixed above (NFA)).

Recently I found him a job.

And he took this job,

it is minimum wage and as a cleaner.

He spends his wages on himself and, when he hasn’t spunked them all on pay day, gives me some money for my own housekeeping.

I pay all the rent myself via my bank and that is between me and my landlord.

He has been more stable of late and has stayed at my house more often, though not permanently.

I would rather have him on my floor than in some drug den.

He really seems to be keeping his life more stable at the moment which I hope will continue.

I received a letter this week, or rather he did at my address,

and I opened it as I do his mail in case he needs my assistance (he can’t read properly).

It was from the DWP saying they were coming for a home visit to “discuss benefits received by him at the below address.

. . and to check that you are claiming all that you are entitled to”.

Since I got him this little job he has come off ESA and is now receiving another benefit of £40 per week

which is something you get when you come off ESA and go into work

– a reward benefit I suppose which has now been stopped I believe, although he receives it for the time being.

I wonder what this letter is about?

I won’t be in when they wish to come round, I will be in work, as will he (if he attends work, which I believe he does).

I am going to call them to let them know this, or get him to if I see him in time.

Does anyone know what this might be about?

I fear that they might believe we are living together as partners,

or that perhaps they think I made him up??

Or perhaps they are just annoyed that they paid out his backpay,

then he began working a couple of months after?

I’m a bit worried about the first scenario as we are friends and do sometimes spend time together.

He has a few things at my house, not much, he usually brings a bag round.

What do you think this is about and how can we explain our situation to them?

If they think he stays round too much what will they do?

Will I get in trouble?

Thanks for your advice.

Edited by Andyorch

Home visits are pretty normal... but unfortunately, inevitable.

Youll have to see this through, I wouldnt second guess this.

When is the visit?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hello and welcome to CAG.

This could be a routine visit. Can you tell us which department of the DWP it's come from, if it says please? It sounds as if it could be a compliance visit.

My best, HB

Thanks, what does that mean? Compliance visit? LIke I say he is off the ESA benefit now, and only claiming what he is entitled to.

I don't have it here as I am at work currently. But it had DWP at the top. It came on white paper, never seen a letter like this before. BUt I will have to get more info when I go home to get the letter.

Home visits are pretty normal... but unfortunately, inevitable.

Youll have to see this through, I wouldnt second guess this.

When is the visit?

They want to come round tomorrow, I will have to let them know he won't be there and neither will I. But I fear they won't even discuss a letter to him, about him, with me. I've left the letter at home today so couldn't call them. I can do in the morning though.

I will get him to come over so he can call them. Thing is this has never happened all the time he has been on ESA since 09. I was also on this benefit and unemployed for five months over some troubles of my own, this was temporary for me (I've worked since age 15) and I am back in work now for over a year since my claim. BUt it isn't about me is it. I'm just worried I could get in trouble and all I've tried to do is help my friend.

Hello again.

A compliance visit is about what I think you mentioned, checking if someone is claiming the right benefits. That's why I asked which department.

Btw, I have removed your personal information from the first post in this thread. Please be careful what you post on a public forum.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello again.

A compliance visit is about what I think you mentioned, checking if someone is claiming the right benefits. That's why I asked which department.

Btw, I have removed your personal information from the first post in this thread. Please be careful what you post on a public forum.

HB

Thank you. I saw that and removed it as well.

Okay so do they think we are living together as married or something? Since he does stay with me and we are friends? Or are they just checking randomly? I'm just a bit worried. Thanks.

For a start I think that you are doing a wonderful job, something that the government should be doing - but that is another story. By the way, we live in Kent, but the wife and I always use the Liverpool hospitals/consultants - they are the best in the country!!!! Just arrived back last week from a 1 week stay at Aintree hospital.

The DWP may well have picked up on your 'arrangements' and it has taken them time to arrange to come over. It is quite possible that they will be interested in the home set up whilst he was claiming. They will possibly looking for anything no matter how small or insignificant that they could use to allege cohabitation whilst claiming as a single person.

Good luck for being such a compassionate person.

For a start I think that you are doing a wonderful job, something that the government should be doing - but that is another story. By the way, we live in Kent, but the wife and I always use the Liverpool hospitals/consultants - they are the best in the country!!!!

The DWP may well have picked up on your 'arrangements' and it has taken them time to arrange to come over. It is quite possible that they will be interested in the home set up whilst he was claiming. They will possibly looking for anything no matter how small or insignificant that they could use to allege cohabitation whilst claiming as a single person.

Good luck for being such a compassionate person.

Thank you for that. Well they will find his belongings in his bag that he brings with him, if he is there. I have wondered before whether I should just say we are living together as he does come and stay, and I only pay council tax for one person, and was thinking perhaps I should say he is there too, as his situation improves, which I want it to, he would be with me rather than with someone else who could get him into trouble.

Indeed I am doing the government's job, I agree, he was released in 2009 with an hour's notice! He wasn't told he could claim anything upon release and was almost literally spat out into the world after nine years inside. He has never been the brightest spark but I wanted to try and give him a fighting chance at life. People say he doesn't deserve all the help he has had off me, but I just think it's a waste to allow him to default back to prison (where he would be if it weren't for me, I believe as does he).

Thank you for your help. HOw far do you think they will go in their initial investigations once we have told them of the arrangement?