Buying a 2ndhand car 500 miles away...rights?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3888 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As a bit of pre-purchase research am checking out options open to me. The car is 13 yrs old, is being supplied with a warranty :peep: which I now realise isn't worth the paper they are written on.

I will be doing a full and thorough check of all systems, plus a 45 min test drive, before paying balance due.

Basically, if the car gives up on way home, do I get the breakdown guys to take back to dealer or taken to my home ( involves a ferry crossing too!....but not to Paris!)?

If taken home can I insist they come and collect it if report on failure significant?

How long do I have to reject it if a problem arises?

Any advice gratefully received.

P

Apart from the don't do it replies, my rights?

P

The problem here is NO ONE will know.

You can claim they are a dealer and if the car goes wrong, you could try to sue them. They have probably had so many different names and Directors, you would never recoup your money.

They may be a fantastic company and look after your every need, you decide.

I'm not sure that case was the same as this. The OP in that one wasn't 500 miles away I don't think!. It would really depend on the circumstances and would probably have to be tested in court to whether they are responsible for recovery or not. I would imagine that you would end up arranging to have the car recovered to the seller and then pursue him for the cost.

I would not advise buying a car from a seller who is a significant distance away but is you choose to go ahead, perhaps you should establish what the seller is prepared to do in the event of a problem.

Edited by sailor sam