Statute Barred Accounts on Credit Files?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3777 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You shouldn't "threaten" anything. If you are not going to follow through with any "threats" - don't make them. Not only does it make you a laughing stock, it allows them not to take the next person seriously.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Calm down Charlie!

As CB says approach this by way of an appeal for goodwill.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Charley,

Write to Ronan Dunne

CEO Telefonica UK

Executive Resolution

Suite K

Arlington Business Centre

Millshaw Park Lane

Leeds

LS11 0NE

You will get a prompt reply, the resolution of my problem was swift after trying to cancel a contract rolled over without notice.

Going to the TOP really does work.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Is this any good Brig,

Dear Mr. Dunne,

I am writing to regarding an old account I had with O2 that was closed in late 2007/early 2008. It was an 18 month phone contract which was run immaculately for 14 months and then I ran into financial trouble as a student and unfortunately was issued with a default notice.

I am concerned at the actions of one of your employees when I purchased the phone at your store in Liverpool city centre in September 2006. In the process of buying the phone the employee had to run a credit check but your systems were not working and she asked me to wait. So I waited and we tried again and it still would not work, so she asked me to come back later that day to try to buy the phone again. She made it quite clear before I left the store that I had not purchased the phone. I did not return to the store later that day or at any other time, however a week later the phone arrive at my house. I was very surprised and was immediately struck by what I thought was an illegal act by your employee to later start the purchasing process again, run the credit check and complete the transaction using my bank details that she must have saved without my presence or permission. As I did not want to cause any hassle for myself or the employee I just carried on paying the contract.

It is not my intention to cause any problems for your company or the said employee even though there are legal questions to be asked about what happened. The default only has 4/5 months to run on my credit file and it was for a relatively small sum but it is making life very difficult for me. I would be very grateful if under these circumstances you would consider removing the default as a gesture of goodwill on your part.

I do not admit liability for this debt.

Is this any good Brig,

Dear Mr. Dunne,

I am writing to regarding an old account I had with O2 that was closed in late 2007/early 2008. It was an 18 month phone contract which was run immaculately for 14 months and then I ran into financial trouble as a student and unfortunately was issued with a default notice.

I am concerned at the actions of one of your employees when I purchased the phone at your store in Liverpool city centre in September 2006. In the process of buying the phone the employee had to run a credit check but your systems were not working and she asked me to wait. So I waited and we tried again and it still would not work, so she asked me to come back later that day to try to buy the phone again. She made it quite clear before I left the store that I had not purchased the phone. I did not return to the store later that day or at any other time, however a week later the phone arrive at my house. I was very surprised and was immediately struck by what I thought was an illegal act by your employee to later start the purchasing process again, run the credit check and complete the transaction using my bank details that she must have saved without my presence or permission. As I did not want to cause any hassle for myself or the employee I just carried on paying the contract.

It is not my intention to cause any problems for your company or the said employee even though there are legal questions to be asked about what happened. The default only has 4/5 months to run on my credit file and it was for a relatively small sum but it is making life very difficult for me. I would be very grateful if under these circumstances you would consider removing the default as a gesture of goodwill on your part.

I do not admit liability for this debt.

Hello Charlie,

Yes that's good just split it in to paragraphs so it's easier to read.

Hey Brig,

Finally got the statements from Lloyds, I've sifted through them and here's the outcome.

20th August 2007 - Overdraft limit of £1,500 exceeded, balance around minus £1,800 and never brought back into line. No payments in after this date.

Late November - Overdraft limit increased to £2,400

Late December - Overdraft exceeded again...balance now stands at minus £2,700. Last payment out, last activity on the account except for future fees and interest.

January 2008 - September 2008. Fees and interest accruing until account passed on to DCA. Final balance £3,800

Of the £3,800 balance £1,250 was charges applied once the overdraft was exceeded. So even without the charges I would have been £150 over my overdraft. In the 6 months running up to exceeding my overdraft I payed slightly over £150 in charges and interest. With these included I would have been just under my overdraft limit of £2,400.

Do you think we can do anything?

Hey Brig,

I received a reply from Capital One basically saying that the default was placed 6 months after I missed the first payment and it's within the guidelines and they will not alter it ect. Any ideas on if it's worth writing back or should I just wait for it to expire.

Hi fletch70,

I wrote the letter to them acknowledging they acted in a timely manner but requesting they reset the default date to 3 months post instead of 6 as a gesture of good will. I've read that most banks reply they have to comply with the rules so I gave it a shot as 3 months is within the guidelines. I'm going to write back to them I just need ideas on what angle to take or maybe the address of somebody higher up.

So it's only got a couple of months left to run before it is off?

No harm in trying ..I will leave it to the Brig although if I am totally honest I do not see a lot of hope (but stranger things have happened)

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

I think it needs to be whoever owns the agreement now.

hang on I see that this is for an OD . It all depends on when they made the demand for payment and closed the account. If you do not know that then a SAR to LLoyds would be in order (costs £10). This would identify when this happened

Yeh that's the crucial point here, wether statute barred in last activity by me or the date it was recalled. If it was the latter I'm best just leaving the thing alone because it's probably so close to the default date it's not worth attempting early removal. If it's last activity by me it barred in 3 weeks with another 8 months to run on default.

Have a look

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?411313-Cause-of-action-statute-barred&p=4415336#post4415336

It will only be last activity if they had already closed the account and that was part of agreed repayment

I would suggest let sleeping dogs lie on this one unless they are being funny

I need to get that default off as soon as possible so I can my independence back. After everything I have read and especially Brigs opinion I'm leaning towards it being barred 6 years after last activity. Especially as the account had been overdrawn for 4 months and they were demanding payments and applying charges.

The 'rule of thumb' is 3 missed payment results in a default.

Cause of action not ever making any more payments, so SB = date when a payment was due after which no further payment was ever made and no unequivocal admission of liability in writing over 6 clear years.

+