DLA medical home visit

kahlo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3885 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

received a letter last thursday saying a home visit has been arranged for a medical assessment today.

i rang the doctor on friday and left a message to say that appointment wasnt convenient as i want my partner to be available.

He/she didnt get back to me and because of the bank holiday i rang Atos office this morning to confim that he was going to rearrange, and gave them a list of dates when my partner could be available.

They told me to send him away if he still comes today, i told them i would be in bed.... little bit anxious that he will still come.. should i just not answer the door?

Also can anyone advise me,what to expect and how best to tackle a medical assessment?

will i be examined, will i need to undress?

I have heard allsorts about the doctor snooping round the house and making assumptions, are they allowed to do that?

I even read somewhere that i should hide the dog, because they will assume that i can walk her

( my partner does this btw)... thats not really possible.

when they write the report, do you get a chance to see it and challenge things that are inaccurate or assumed?

trying not to be too anxious, but not doing terribly well atm

:kahlo:

In no particular order:

Doctors doing disability living assessments should offer seven days notice for an initial appointment to allow time for applicants to arrange for chaperones etcetera. If you're 'not at home' the doctor should leave a note of when s/he will call again. A second appointment only requires reasonable notice. After two attempts the application's referred back to disability n carers for consideration of good cause for failure to be examined. (For which the translation's; most of the doctors are self employed, doing disability assessments for £100+ a throw around the day job, and expect claimants to be available 24/7 with little or no notice.)

The doctor may ask you to remove indoor clothing, dress, top, trousers, if there's a good reason, but can't ask you to remove underwear.

Doctors are asked to note bathroom facilities; does the applicant have a walk in shower, need help to get into the bath, or up the stairs to the loo, etcetera? And to note inconsistencies; pristine kitchen aids and walking frames despite dexterity and mobility problems.

Since 2006 applicants don't get to see the report before it's sent to disability n carers, but it's available via a standard (free) request to Work n Pensions for personal information.

:panda: Best wishes, Margaret.

(Can't get the link to work but search yahoo for 'examining medical practitioners' for the latest publicly available, but dated, guidance.)

For which the translation's; most of the doctors are self employed, doing disability assessments for £100+ a throw around the day job, and expect claimants to be available 24/7 with little or no notice.)

£100+ a pop... wow.. if only i was well enough to work!!!!!!!!!! what a waste of money:mad2:

thanks margaret will have a google

• 2 weeks later...