ESA, Pension Credit and casual work

gentle-knight
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3918 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am receiving ESA (Support group) due to permanent injuries from a rear end car collision I was in (not my fault). I have been told by the Pension Credit folk in Edinburgh that there is virtually no difference between the two, and the rates will be the same.

However, when I am able I do some casual work (as a mystery shopper) and I earn maybe an average of £5 per week. I know this is disregarded, but I'm concerned that if this increases to maybe £25 per week it will affect the pension credit. I think I've found out that PC allows £5 per week but ESA allows £99.50 per week. Is this true? And if so, have I made a mistake applying for the change? It seems to me that the information given me by the PC folk in Edinburgh may have been untrue. I need some help with this please.

I am receiving ESA (Support group) due to permanent injuries from a rear end car collision I was in (not my fault). I have been told by the Pension Credit folk in Edinburgh that there is virtually no difference between the two, and the rates will be the same.

However, when I am able I do some casual work (as a mystery shopper) and I earn maybe an average of £5 per week. I know this is disregarded, but I'm concerned that if this increases to maybe £25 per week it will affect the pension credit. I think I've found out that PC allows £5 per week but ESA allows £99.50 per week. Is this true? And if so, have I made a mistake applying for the change? It seems to me that the information given me by the PC folk in Edinburgh may have been untrue. I need some help with this please.

Umm! Being in the support group means you are severely ill that you cannot do any work, so please be careful and do your homework before undertaking any new job, otherwise you'll may find your esa changed by the dwp because they may say your circumstances changed since your last medical.

That's not quite correct Helen. It means that I cannot hold down any reasonable part time or full time work. I can do the occasional hour or two a week when I'm feeling able to, and in my own schedule and my own pace. That's exactly why a small amount of work does not affect the claim. I have more than 'done my homework' as you put it. I have spoken with various very helpful people at ESA. The DWP are fully aware of my position, I'm not hiding anything, and I'm not doing anything untoward. The support group fully allows for small amounts of work, recognising that this does not mean you are not so disabled (not 'ill') that you are unable to do full or part time work. That's the point of the really low limit. If you can't work more than the stated number of hours, or the set amount of income, you are not in full time or part time work. Think about it. £25 per week is hardly a part-time job now is it?

DWP do accept that people do have good and bad days. There would only be a problem if the OP worked for more than 16 hours a week / the work contradicted the reason why they can't work.

I think I heard it was all changing under universal credit; but I can't quite remember what the changes will be. There's some information here under "working and claiming ESA".

Umm! Being in the support group means you are severely ill that you cannot do any work, so please be careful and do your homework before undertaking any new job, otherwise you'll may find your esa changed by the dwp because they may say your circumstances changed since your last medical.

Anybody that is in the Support Group of ESA is entitled under the 'Permitted Work' regulations to work up to 16 hours a week and earn up to £100 a week with no time restrictions (year in, year out).

Being in the Support Group does NOT mean that 'you are severely ill that you cannot do any work'. What it actually means is that you have gained more than 15 points from the various descriptors and that you have received the maximum points in one of the Support Group descriptors. This has nothing whatsoever to do with being ill.

Anybody that is in the Support Group of ESA is entitled under the 'Permitted Work' regulations to work up to 16 hours a week and earn up to £100 a week with no time restrictions (year in, year out).

Being in the Support Group does NOT mean that 'you are severely ill that you cannot do any work'. What it actually means is that you have gained more than 15 points from the various descriptors and that you have received the maximum points in one of the Support Group descriptors. This has nothing whatsoever to do with being ill.

All correct, but can I just add that it's not only people in the Support Group that can do Permitted Work. The rule applies to anyone on ESA.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

All correct, but can I just add that it's not only people in the Support Group that can do Permitted Work. The rule applies to anyone on ESA.

I agree, but being in the Support Group there is no 12 month limit as there is in the 'Work group' to work up to 16 hours and earn no more than £100 a week.

Many that are in the Support Group continue to work for their employer albeit on reduced hours and/or reduced income. It's a sensible way to increase your benefit income especially if you are in the Support Group.