Cabot - home learning course/skills train/Barclays partner finance. now the career development finance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3894 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys,

This debt i have is a tricky situation.

Back in 2008 i took out a "loan" however i didn't know it was a loan at the time. I was sold a home learning course and was gaurenteed a job at the end of the course.

The sales rep sold me the course by telling me a pack of lies.

I had to make £75 per month payments, even though i was unemployed at the time.

The loan was orignally took out with barclays partner finance. which now the debt is with career development fiance.

I made around £500 in payments when i started the home learning course, however i couldn't make payments and the standard of the course was shocking. I actually knew more then what the course was actually teaching me.

I stopped the payments as they also stopped sending me my booklets to carry on the course after i complained. I actually got a job back then and never thought anything of it.

This was a web designer course, with skills train, which i think are no longer in business.

I have this week been notified for the first time about this debt with cabot financial.

I got a letter tuesday morning saying they have tried contacting me and they have had no success. They state they want me to contact them.

However today i have recieved another letter from cabot saying they are offering me a LIMITED OFFER only valid for the next 30 days.

This offer gives me a 30% discount if i settle now.

I have checked my credit report and i cannot see it anywhere. however on one credit report i do have "loan" marked as settled (which i think this is the account) and this was marked settled back in 2009

They state i owe around £1500 (which i think is the correct amount)

They also state that we will be able to offer you a attractive repayment plan that can repay my debt back within 5 years (works out around £25 i believe)

What would be my best option to respond?

Ask them for a CCA request?

a discount 90% of the time means no debt exists.

ignore them.

if you type in skills train

or

Barclay partner finance

in the search of our GREY top toolbar

you'll find several very good threads

about the whole 'debacle' surrounding these home learning courses

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

a discount 90% of the time means no debt exists.

ignore them.

if you type in skills train

or

Barclay partner finance

in the search of our GREY top toolbar

you'll find several very good threads

about the whole 'debacle' surrounding these home learning courses

dx

Yeah already been having a look at them.

However i keep getting a few phone calls from them, only the odd one or so a week.

is sending a cca request out of the question and pointless?

you certainly can

however again that wont stop the calls

they'll just sell the 'supposed' debt on

the important bit here is the discount.

they know its a toxic lemon debt

that's why BPF has sold it

I think you'll find cabot wil be shown as the owner soon.

the settled bit, is just the OC putting it on the phishing list

for a mug DCa to buy for pennies and try to fleece you.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

you certainly can

however again that wont stop the calls

they'll just sell the 'supposed' debt on

the important bit here is the discount.

they know its a toxic lemon debt

that's why BPF has sold it

I think you'll find cabot wil be shown as the owner soon.

the settled bit, is just the OC putting it on the phishing list

for a mug DCa to buy for pennies and try to fleece you.

dx

Understood....

Ignore list then!

Hi F's,

Do you know for sure that BPF sold the debt, and when it was sold.

I would ignore Cabot for now.

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi F's,

Do you know for sure that BPF sold the debt, and when it was sold.

I would ignore Cabot for now.

:wink:

Nope, never had any contact with anyone up until now.

I do no that on the cabot letter it does say "career development finance as there client"

I have also found out that the same guys who ran skills train, actually ran career development finance or so i have investigated.

I thought BPF would have been the only LENDER involved here and, if they weren't being paid by you, they'd sell the debt to a DCA.

Do you know how or why Career Development Finance fit into the picture.

:-)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

I thought BPF would have been the only LENDER involved here and, if they weren't being paid by you, they'd sell the debt to a DCA.

Do you know how or why Career Development Finance fit into the picture.

After investigating, i have found that skillstrain (who don't actually trade anymore) and there website is also not working.

http://www.skillstrainuk.com/

and Career development finance have something in common, they both have the same directors. which those directors have been under investigation before.

A Mr jan telensky is/was on both of those companies directorships.

So it's obviously they are both linked to each other.

I know i can remember that i was hard sold, i was only 20 and back then struggling to find a career. which is why i chose web design and thought this course was perfect, they told me i was gaurenteed to find work after completeing it. They said i had 24/7 support, which was untrue (took a few days to get a reply ever) eventually i gave up and looked elsewhere and never actually heard anything from them until this day.

I'm actually in that career now and starting my own business in the next few weeks. but i ended up going to college as that course taught me zip!

for £2000 i think i received 3 booklets, 3 days support via a online messaging system and 2 cd's as i recall. never received anything after that.

I know i paid around £500+ i can't remember the exact figures but the course fee was just over £2000+

They were caught using microsoft and other names saying that they endorsed the course to which they didn't.

If i knew what i knew back them, i'd have fought it and would have had the evidence to show the poor course supplies. However i don't have that now .

When i took the course out, i was told i was signing just a payment per month for the course. I later found out it was actually a loan, which the rep never ever mentioned. I also have a witness that was with me at the time of the rep selling me the course.

At the time the sales rep came to my house, i just lost my mum and was in a bad way and looking for something to look forward to.

I'd spend your time researching when you can, to see how other similar cases are handled and/or resolved.

See if Cabot contact you further and, if they do, fire back a CCA request in which you can confirm having no knowledge of Career Development Finance.

I'd spend your time researching when you can, to see how other similar cases are handled and/or resolved.

See if Cabot contact you further and, if they do, fire back a CCA request in which you can confirm having no knowledge of Career Development Finance.

Already found a few cases in which they successfully sued skills train and won there money back. However i just don't have the evidence anymore. Obviously i can get bits from other peoples cases as i took it out at the same time as them.

Will wait and see what cabot send me next. So far they have offered me a 30% discount, so i'd have thought there trying there luck here.

It does become statue barred the beginning of next year. february i think.

Will see what they come with next and then figure out my next move.

If you lack the evidence you require to take court action against the Skills Train, there's little you can do about that.

However, you can still defend against any court action that Cabot take against you. The onus is always on the Claimant to PROVE their case. The Defendant only needs to cast adequate doubt on the claim for it to fail.

One reason they'd be happy to accept a 30% settlement of the alleged debt is that they probably paid less than 10% of the value for the a/c.

• 1 month later...

This thread is now in "Training & Apprenticeships" forum

It is purely an administrative move.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D