ESA medical now PIP Assesment

mitsy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3841 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I recently had my ESA medical in April this year from the move from Incapacity Benefit to ESA, I was put in the Support Group due to "Severe functional disability" and was advised to apply for PIP,

The form for PIP was sent Monday and today i have just received another letter for an ATOS assessment for PIP, I'm sure i read somewhere that it was the same assessment, I included my ESA85 medical report with the PIP claim form but looks like the didn't look at it :???: They also gave me an appointment 30 miles away when the ATOS centre is just 5 min from my home, I rang up as it would be to much of a struggle and they have moved my appointment to my local centre.

Has anyone got any info on the PIP assessment compared to the ESA, I'm starting to get stressed all over again.:shock:

• 2 weeks later...

It's really early days for PIP and you're only the second person I've seen on the forum posting about it so I doubt anyone can answer specific questions yet.

If you have time it would be really helpful for other users if you could post some information about how your claim and assessment go and what happens at each stage of the process.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Im in the exact same position. Was placed in Support Group at 2nd ESA assessment (placed in WRAG on the 1st one). I have been given an appointment for next week for PIP assessment 24 miles away from my usual ATOS centre. I phoned ATOS and asked why i need to be assessed when i was assessed for ESA in June and was told that its a completely different assessment. They will be asking how i cope with things like shopping, dressing and cooking, DOH!!!! Thats all in my ESA assessment report. Was told its different again and i need to attend. Asked why its at a different centre and was told my centre for ESA doesnt do PIP assessments. Looks to me like ATOS are just getting extra money out the government for doing unnecessary assessments and are adding stress to genuine disabled people without cause. Either that or they dont trust their own assessors at different centres.

Bit of an update: Just been for my PIP assessment, It is very similar to the ESA assessment but a lot less informal,

I was asked about my conditions and what medication i was taken, Then he moved on to how my conditions effect me and was asked to describe a typical 24 hour day in detail, How much tv i watch what time i get up, what help i need throughout the day and night, How often do i go out and where do i like to go, How i get there etc,

Can i cook a meal or even make a cup of tea, how do i wash myself and get dressed, do i need help, do i visit friends or go out alone, He checked the movement in my upper and lower limbs, But he did not ask how far i could walk, I asked why he didn't ask and he said he didn't think i could walk far in the house so it would not be far. i though that would leave him to fill in whatever he wants so i told i could barely manage 10 metres.

All in all it was a lot less stressful than the ESA assessment and i came away feeling positive, He told me i would have a decision in around 4 to 5 weeks.

Edited by mitsy

Hi,

I had mine today and it was the same experience as Mitsy. A lot less stressful and very similar to the ESA assessment but focussing more on the help needed. I got a company contracted in by ATOS which i thought a bit strange but they were a vast improvement, they even carried my bags of medication for me rather than watch me in pain and struggling???? Extremely nice and helpful staff and that makes a big difference to stress levels. Just got to wait for the results now so fingers are crossed for a good outcome

Delilah

Bit of an update: Just been for my PIP assessment, It is very similar to the ESA assessment but a lot less informal,

I was asked about my conditions and what medication i was taken, Then he moved on to how my conditions effect me and was asked to describe a typical 24 hour day in detail, How much tv i watch what time i get up, what help i need throughout the day and night, How often do i go out and where do i like to go, How i get there etc,

Can i cook a meal or even make a cup of tea, how do i wash myself and get dressed, do i need help, do i visit friends or go out alone, He checked the movement in my upper and lower limbs, But he did not ask how far i could walk, I asked why he didn't ask and he said he didn't think i could walk far in the house so it would not be far. i though that would leave him to fill in whatever he wants so i told i could barely manage 10 metres.

All in all it was a lot less stressful than the ESA assessment and i came away feeling positive, He told me i would have a decision in around 4 to 5 weeks.

Ummmm very similar to ESA!!! The last thing that they would want to do is give you any impression that you had failed in their eyes. They don't want a tearful claimant on their hands.

If ESA is to go by, the report you will get may not be what you are or were given to think you would get.

The only thing positive about PIP is that the intention is to get as many people off benefits (DLA & ESA in particular).

As for walking, (mobilising) the assessor can think what he thinks, but walking indoors has nothing to do with it - it's about mobilising outdoors!

Hope you get the result you were led to believe you would get.

Hope you get the result you were led to believe you would get.

Thanks I'm sure I will :) If I was turned down there and then no tears would be shed, I'm mostly a confident and positive person and will fight tooth and nail to get what I'm entitled to. :peace:

Hope you get it Mitsy. Its sounds like we are both experiencing the same things here and like you i would fight tooth and nail too. Good luck and if i hear anything about mine i will let you know. I know i was told 4-5 weeks for my ESA but it was through within a week of my assessment, hopefully the PIP will be the same

Delilah

Hope you get it Mitsy. Its sounds like we are both experiencing the same things here and like you i would fight tooth and nail too. Good luck and if i hear anything about mine i will let you know. I know i was told 4-5 weeks for my ESA but it was through within a week of my assessment, hopefully the PIP will be the same

Delilah

Thanks I wish you well with your claim :) will keep the thread updated.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if you have heard anything yet Mitsy? Im now 14 weeks since applying and 7 weeks one day since my assessment and have not heard a thing. Im a but relunctant to phone them for an update in case they tell me what i dont want to hear (no news is good news??). Ive read that some people have been waiting up to 19 weeks for a decision from application, i hope it doesnt take that long.

Delilah

The benefits and work website newsletter recently said that, apart from cases involving terminal illness, very few PIP claims have been decided at least in part due to the doubt over whether the government is going to change the walking distance back to 50 metres.

I don't think it would actually make any difference if you phoned - if they have made a decision you might get your money quicker or be able to put in your appeal quicker, and if they haven't made a decision it might give them a push or at least get an explanation for what the delay is all about.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

• 1 month later...