Problems with old water bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3972 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good Morning

Im having a few problems with Advantis credit so hope someone can help please.

Cut a long story short,

my partner (who has lived with me for 6 years) used to run a pub with his ex wife.

during that time he was declared bankrupt so put the business in his wifes name. they split up some time later.

When i met him they had been split up about 8 or 9 month.

He got a letter from advantis saying he owed £5k + to anglian water.

Assuming this is from the pub,

he has argued apart from anything it is statute barred but he was bankrupt so did not have the business in his name

plus she kept it on after they split up (unsure for how long) so surely it is her debt.

they are arguing it is not SB as they have made contact (not to my boyfriend they havent, this is the first he has heard.)

They are now saying if she didnt change the name is it fraud and report to the police, get a crime ref etc and give it to them. (as if, we would just get laughed at).

The account is on hold for 14 days until he replies.

Any help would be great please

thank you

Hi welcome to CAG,

Get him to send this to the compliance manager at Advantis.

Ref: as on their letter:

Sir/Madam,

I refer to a letter from Advantis dated xx xx xxxx in which it is alleged that I owe a debt in relation to an account with Anglian Water, please note I do not acknowledge any liability for this alleged debt.

I have not been contacted at any point by Anglian Water regarding any such account nor have I made any payment or offer of payment regarding the alleged debt.

I was not in any way liable for the financial matters of the business concerned as I was made bankrupt on xx xx xxxx.

I consider that the matter is statute barred and therefore I will not be making payments.

Advantis should contact the person who was running the business for payment of this alleged debt.

Personally I would report the matter to the police if the ex did run the business using his name on utility accounts as others may crawl out of the woodwork.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

little fleecers!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thats great thanks for replying. Do i not need to send them a £1 postal order or something or am i thinking of something else.

thanks

No fee not needed that's for a CCA request.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Hi

thanks i will send the letter but he has already said all of that but they just keep saying its not SB as anglian water have sent bills out etc, he cant seem to get any further than that, its like banging your head on a brick wall.

My guess is that this is not getting any further than customer (dis) service operators who have no authority outside the company script, so suggest you make the letter a formal complaint which must be addresses and question answered.

FAO, the OFT Guidance on Debt Collection is clear that 'normal debt collection letters and routine statements being sent to al alleged debtor DO NOT CONSTITUTE CONTACT and DO NOT affect statute barred status.

Thanks, will try and keep you posted if i may.

Can they send a debt collector / bailiff to the door ?

They could send a 'doorstepper' but these people have absolutely no authority to do anything and should be told to B*gger off.

Bailiffs can only act on a court order after a judgement has been made, it would be a most unlikely scenario considering the age of the alleged debt.

thanks so much will let you know what they reply with.

Your welcome happy to help.

hi, i emailed the letter yesterday and this is the reply i got

We write with reference to your recent correspondence regarding an account held with our client Anglian Water.

We understand from your correspondence that you require confirmation of the nature of the contact made with our client.

Please be advised that we are unable to access this information. Our client has advised that you are aware of your liability for the account as contact was made and invoices were provided. Our client has also advised that no payments have been received on the account and the balance of £5,445.43 remains due.

We can confirm that we have placed the account on hold for 14 days in order to allow sufficient time for you to contact us. If you fail to contact us within this time frame the account will automatically return to our collections process.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us on 0845 402 2430.

they are trying to fleece you me thinks.

time to ask AW .

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

you cant ack a debt on the phone

TBH i'd forget and ignore them.

let brig decide

dx

and they

If they have only sent correspondence to the pub any your partners ceased on the dates stated then imo there claim that he has liability has little or no merit.

Will have a think on a response for you.

Thank you.

The bills were £600 per month, his ex kept the pub on for over 18 months after he left

Can you tell me the date he actually left the pub finally please?

im not sure, i would have to find out. he has lived with me 6 years past feb and he left the pub about aug the year before that. the pub got put in his ex's name before that. do you need exact dates?

thanks

im not sure, i would have to find out. he has lived with me 6 years past feb and he left the pub about aug the year before that. the pub got put in his ex's name before that. do you need exact dates?

thanks

If possible to give more impact to the response, really we are looking at August 2006?

yes round about that time

OK, be back a little later.