Thames Water's £500 bill for 4 months.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3953 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good afternoon everyone!

I've been renting a room in a flat with live in Landlord for 5 months. The landlord and his 2 little daughters live in the other room of this 2 bedroom flat.

I didn't register with Thames Water and have no idea why the bill came in my name.

I don't mind paying bills, but this situation seems ridiculous. As far as I know everywhere people pay around £100 pounds a year(!) for water. But here they ask £500 for the 4 month's period.

The landlord receives benefits from the Council and it is very easy to establish who is the main person here.

Why on earth would Thames Water chose to send such a bill in my name??

Can anyone please help me and tell me what to do??

:-(

• 2 months later...

The first thing I wold say is that the bill is for a longer period of time than you have been resident at the property so, write to the with, with proof of your tenancy agreement as part of the dispute; also tell them that you are not the person responsible for paying the bills and then give them the name of your landlord.

Feebee_71

Clearly your LL is trying to mug you off here! I would also be cautious about his morals and any other tricks he may have pulled in the last four months, check your credit files.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

The first thing I wold say is that the bill is for a longer period of time than you have been resident at the property so, write to the with, with proof of your tenancy agreement as part of the dispute; also tell them that you are not the person responsible for paying the bills and then give them the name of your landlord.

Feebee_71

Thank you. It's been already two months that I live at different address, as I moved out of that property. I have no tenancy agreement. It was oral one. I know the full name of the person who let me a room there. He (and his two little daughters) receives house benefits for the flat.

Clearly your LL is trying to mug you off here! I would also be cautious about his morals and any other tricks he may have pulled in the last four months, check your credit files.

Yes. I don't even want to be in correspondence with Thames Water, as I think they will never let me go if I start communicating with them.

What if I write a letter form occupier saying that Mr XX (my name) doesn't live at this address and the LL is Mr YY.. ? No name at the end and no signature.

Thank you. It's been already two months that I live at different address, as I moved out of that property. I have no tenancy agreement. It was oral one. I know the full name of the person who let me a room there. He (and his two little daughters) receives house benefits for the flat.

Ok then, do you have any sort of agreement for where you live now? And what about where you were before there? If you have evidence that covers you for dates for before and after you were there that would cover you for dates - if you don't have direct evidence can you get letters?

As for this place, I'd write saying you we're there as a tenant of XXX from date-to-date and that all utility bills were the responsibility of the previously named person and that they should get back to said person.

Feebee_71

Thank you. I have no written agreement for anywhere.

As for the previous place where I lived, I dont know who lived there before me.

I know that the flat was owned by some relatives of my LL.

At the time I moved in he was registered at differrent place.

Most likely that he gave my details when I moved in, and he transferred all his papers to that address only after several months of his moving in there.

Now all his papers come to that address.

What do you think if I send them this text without signing the letter:

Dear T Water staff,

please update your records and note that since at least December 2012 a person named Mr XXX has been a living in LL at this address and he is responsible for any utility bills including water charges at this address.

I don't want to sign the letter as i don't want to be involved with a correspondence with Thames Water on this matter.

But if in future I need to prove that they were given the name of the LL I will be able to provide the copy of the letter and the special delivery receipt.

Edited by pugilist