Help...where do i stand regarding my suspension from work?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4040 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, today i have been suspended for allegation of Theft of company property, im in total shock as all i did was take a broken drill (which was condemned by a health n safety officer) to my own workshop to fix in my own time and when asked about it i immediately replied by saying yes its in my workshop i was fixing it.

I have been workin as a handyman for 4 years in that 4 years i took all my tools to work, drills, jigsaws, screwdrivers etc...before xmas they employed a health and safety officer/manager and he told me i could not use my own tools as they have not been pat tested so i removed all my own tools which left me with a couple of screwdrivers and a broken drill which i took home to try to repair.

Yesterday 9th April, i was approached by the owner asking me why the other handyman was puttin up a curtain rail and i replied "i havent got any tools" the owner then replied, why havent you, i said "they were my tools i work for you im not self employed, your broken drill is in my workshop, he asked me why was his property in my workshop, i replied i was fixing it and i will return it tomorrow in which i did. it is still broken as i never got round to fixing it.

Over the last two years our personalities have clashed and i think they are using this as an excuse to get rid of me.

i dont know where i stand, i am not a member of any union, they handed me a letter at the end of my working day today 10th april and they want me to attend an investigation meeting tomorrow morning on my own.

Can you please advise me on this matter, thank you

suspension is a neutral act

you have a right to be accompanied at a disciplinary but not an investigation meeting

when did H&S man tell you to remove your tools and did he also say the same to your manager? How long have you been unable to work? What conversations took place at the time?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

ok, So he knew you were mainky painting :)

Now techically it is theft as he has no proof you were going to return it - generally the fact it is broken won't wash - and you don't sound qualified to say if it is safe or not. Did you ask anyone's permission to take it?

But has there been a downturn in business? Are they looking for easy excuses to let people go?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

ps are the manager and owner different people? not quite following who did what.

would the manager back you up that a) it was broken and b) you told him? That would be helpful.

It's also a really petty thing; I am not convinced more than a warning is appropriate. I might be confused about why you took it if you just do painting now though?