• Tweets

• Forgot to add, got friends in Italy, and one of them rang the Police where the fine came from, and her reply was “Tell your friend it’s not a big deal, it’s only a speeding fine we’re not going to chase him, tell him in future to take his foot off the gas, however it he returns to a Italy and gets control checked, he would be held until the fine is paid”  A bit odd I thought, considering I am being chased now.
    • I've read loads of old messages about what to do but feel my case is different, it's a bit of a back story so ill break it down. - Had a letter from an Italian province in July of 2020 for a speeding offence in 2019 for 575 euros, was in a hire car I used for work, no longer work for them and heard nothing from either. - Thought blimey, but went to pay it anyway, it had doubled to over 1100 euros, yeah I can't afford paying that, filled out the attached information sheet to say it was me driving but I have no money or job due to COVID (true story) and sent it back (durrrr) - Heard nothing until December of 2023, a letter from an appointed solicitor from Florence saying if I don't pay, we will chase you through the legal system with costs beared to you. - May of this year, I get a letter from CLI (Credit Limits International) basically saying they have been appointed to carry out the collection, £1475. - Stupidly, I started the 'three letter process' asking for proof etc, and they replied a few days ago with a copy of the fines I had received from Italy, they stated the debt has no terms and conditions as it relates to a fine in Italy and the debt is not subject to the Consumer Credit agreement. I translate that to "at the moment we don't own the debt and have been given authority from Italy to pursue the debt". That is where I am currently at, I would begrudge giving in and paying an obscene amount. As seen from similar threads, I know a threat of a visit is coming, followed by a threat of court action, but annoyingly it hasn't been mentioned how these cases were concluded and the threads are now locked. I've read to ignore them, but can't help but feel that because it's such a substantial amount that they will feel it's worthy of pursuing this no matter the hoops they have to jump through. Along with admitting it was me driving and opening the can of worms by contacting the DCA, it wouldn't look good for me should it ever get to a courtroom.  Has anyone with previous experience managed to 'get away with it'? Anyone know what they're capable of other than nagging me? I'm not after any moral judgment.
    • take the SD card out and put on a pc/laptop then run recuva on it in  select videos only option select specific location hit browse then select drive letter of the SD card. then next  then deep scan then go have a cup of tea..  when done dont recover the all files back to the card select a new folder on your pc/laptop        
    • hi all, i will list my curmcumstance first then list the details of the penalty charge - we are 2 diabled people being affected by the cost of living crisis and are skint etc. i am disabled with mobility issues(arthritis in knees and ankles and gout) and cant operate car pedals anymore so i let a friend up the road use my car in exchange for her driving me about. its a good arrangement as i get a 'chauffer' and she gets the use of car. the car is parked in her drive which is better as i was refused a disabled space (even on appeal) and too much congestion to park the car outside my house. my friend is vulnerable as she has suffered depression and suicidal thoughts since the loss of her mother a few years back, she is dyslexic, she is a carer for one of her sons that is disabled due to mental illness and mobility. she lives in a council house and cannot work. we went to iceland ..attracted by the 10items for £10 offer - we've never been there before. a large artic lorry was parked accross the car park blocking the view of one of the parking signs and blocking the disabled bays where the pay&display machine is. by the time she helped me out of the car and then went to see if it was pay&display then came back to me at the car she said she thinks it was pay even for disabled, so we looked for change in the car which we didnt have (she normally goes asda which dont need to pay for parking)so then we said we'd either go get change or go to asda...so then by the time it took her to help me back in and get out the car park took 15 minutes...5 minutes overstay past the 10minutes grace. the letter from excel parking came through and i sent it back giving her name as driver (before i saw on here that you shouldnt name the driver) then i appealed explaining what happened (lorry blocking etc) and even said we were being descriminated (advised by citizen advice)as we are disabled and 15minutes is not long enough for a crippled disabled man and a woman with dyslexia to read and understandd the sign and get out, then back in the car and look for change then get out the car park in 15minutes. i even explained she was a vulnerable person on anti-depressants and even sent a photo of medication and said if you need a doctors note then let me know....the appeal was rejected. i've emailed iceland over 50 times and they just wont tell excel to cancel this charge - they are ignorant and ive even asked them why they have a webpage saying 'iceland combatting the cost of living crisis' pretending to help their customers and they wont comment...they'd rather put more stress and anxiety on an already suicidal vulnerable person just to get money out of them..so their 'help' during this crisis is a lie as it wont even extend to disabled customers. she has now received 2 letters from DCBL saying she owes £170 for 5minutes of overstay. the last one is a final demand. as she cant read or write very well ive sent a recorded letter to DCBL (as advised by citizen advice) asking not to attend the property due to a vulnerable woman inside the property as it will only exasperate the situation, they have ignored it and basically said we dont care, you still owe. could anyone please advise - we are not very good with letters or these situations and are slow on the uptake.   1 The date of infringement? 28th dec 2023   2 Have you yet appealed to the parking company yet? [Y/N?] yes   If you have then please post up whatever you sent and how you sent it and the date you sent it, suitably redacted. [as a PDF- follow the upload guide]cant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   Has there been a response? yes   Please AS A PDF FILE  ONLY ..post it up as well, suitably redacted. - follow the upload guide]cant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   If you haven't appealed yet - .........DONT ! seek advice on your topic first.   Have you received a Notice To Keeper? (NTK) [must be received by you between 29-56 days] yes   What date is on it? 15th january 2024   Did the NTK provide photographic evidence? yes   [scan up BOTHSIDES to ONE PDF of the PCN and your NTK - follow the upload guide] please LEAVE IN LOCATION AND ALL DATES/TIMES/£'scant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   3 Did the NTK mention Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (PoFA) [Y/N?] not on the front - maybe on the back but cannot find the letter now   4 If you appealed after receiving the NTK, did the parking company give you any information regarding the further appeals process? [it is well known that parking companies will reject any appeal whatever the circumstances] yes   5 Who is the parking company? excel   6. Where exactly [Carpark name and town] did you park? gravesend in iceland    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Northern Rail Fare Evasion letter received - ** CASE CLOSED **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4009 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

Wondering if you could offer some advice please?

I received a letter today stating that I evaded a £2.50 fare last October and need to pay an £80 fine within 14 days. I'm 100% sure that this was not me - it said I traveled from Liverpool South Way to Hough Green - I don't think I've ever been to Liverpool South Way in my life.

It doesn't say any times or specifics, just says it has evidence. What evidence would this be? I have never ever been stopped by a ticket inspector in my life, and I very rarely get the train.

What seems strange is it was sent to my Mum's address (which I haven't lived at for over 2 years) and it even had her post code down wrong on the letter.

I have checked and I was in work on that day 9-5:30 (I work nowhere near Liverpool.) Hough Green is one of my local train stations though.

How would they even get my details? What can I do here?

Many thanks for any advice you could offer.

Write back explaining it wasn't you ; your concern is that someone has given your name and your Mum's address.

Bazza is spot on, but don't expect it to just go away if you don't provide some evidence to confirm it wasn't you.

What I would do is get a note from your employer on headed paper stating that you were in work at the material time on that date and send a copy with your letter stating that you have been the victim of an impostor.

Bazza is spot on, but don't expect it to just go away if you don't provide some evidence to confirm it wasn't you.

What I would do is get a note from your employer on headed paper stating that you were in work at the material time on that date and send a copy with your letter stating that you have been the victim of an impostor.

Great advice for the OP.

I accept that it would be pointless for the TOC to just give up as soon as they got a reply of "wasn't me, Guv".

However, once a reply of "wasn't me" is received : it is all well & good if the recipient can prove it wasn't them - but what if they can't : surely then the TOC should have to prove it was them, if the recipient says it wasn't even if they can't prove it wasn't?

Great advice for the OP.

I accept that it would be pointless for the TOC to just give up as soon as they got a reply of "wasn't me, Guv".

However, once a reply of "wasn't me" is received : it is all well & good if the recipient can prove it wasn't them - but what if they can't : surely then the TOC should have to prove it was them, if the recipient says it wasn't even if they can't prove it wasn't?

Yes, quite right Bazza, but if the only 'evidence' of identity is the inspector's report indicating that an identity check was made and s/he was satisfied that the traveller has been correctly identified (which can be the case) it may well lead to issue of a Summons, the person reported contacts the Court and says 'Not me guv' as you put it and the TOC says ' We have evidence that the identity was checked and confirmed, so we don't accept that'.

At worst case scenario there is an impasse and if nothing can be done to resolve the issue before hand, it might ultimately have to be resolved by the person summonsed having to attend Court, the reporting inspector attending Court and visual identity confirmed either way. This should always be avoided if possible.

It is in everyone's best interests to avoid that action if someone has genuinely been the victim of an impostor

Another sensible course of action might be to send a photocopy of an official document bearing the traveller's signature along with a head & shoulders photograph (such as a driver's licence) to the TOC, with a request that this be returned as soon as the reporting inspector has confirmed that the recipient of the letter is not the person that s/he spoke to. The writer might also ask for confirmation that their name has been removed from any record of allegation.

This allows the TOC to check the evidence in the inspector's notes & report, confirm the traveller has been a victim of impostor and cancel the liability thereby avoiding further inconvenience for the person whose identity has been used.

I know that some people will immediately jump to the 'litigation culture seeking compensation' procedure that seems to be growing in popularity, but in honesty, if the inspector has done everything possible at the time to identify the offender and is satisfied that the details given have been confirmed, s/he has done nothing wrong. The victim would need to pursue the impostor if they can be identified. The rail company might express regret that the victim has been inconvenienced, but make clear that the inspector acted and reported these confirmed details (if they were) in good faith.

I have quite often seen reports land on my desk where a traveller has been identified and there is evidence that the identity was confirmed by a Police Officer who has been called to assist, but it has later turned out that the traveller has been an impostor, so there is no 'fail safe' where this sort of thing is concerned.

Edited by Old-CodJA

Thanks (as ever, OCJa) for insight into "the process", and good advice for anyone caught up in it.

A good balance between the rights of the individual, and the rights of the TOC (and through them, the fare-paying public!) to prevent fare dodgers.

Also, your advice will allow those who have been impersonated to get their names cleared (and get confirmation of that from the TOC)

I hadn't thought of the "TOC faces claim for compensation" angle : and I can't see why someone would try to claim off the TOC given there are 2 victims of the identity impersonation : the person impersonated and the TOC.

Is it rare for the impersonator to be caught? If caught, surely that is who should face civil action for compensation after their criminal prosecution?

Thanks a lot for the advice guys, I will write a letter back. It doesn't say on the letter what time it was - so I'll need them to provide that with me first otherwise there will be no point if it was done outside my working hours.

So, just to be clear, is the only reason I have received this letter because someone has give my name and (my Mum's) address in to the ticket inspector when approached?

So, just to be clear, is the only reason I have received this letter because someone has give my name and (my Mum's) address in to the ticket inspector when approached?

If it wasn't you on the train, then yes.

I hadn't thought of the "TOC faces claim for compensation" angle : and I can't see why someone would try to claim off the TOC given there are 2 victims of the identity impersonation : the person impersonated and the TOC.

Yes, I agree, though such claims are all too often these days I'm afraid Bazza, claims that are doomed to failure, but the appalling 'ambulance chaser' mentality creeps in everywhere I'm afraid.

Is it rare for the impersonator to be caught? If caught, surely that is who should face civil action for compensation after their criminal prosecution?

Yes, it is rare for impersonators to be caught in cases such as this, but much more likely if the victim tries to help too.

Sending that photo and signature can help and means that revenue staff and Police can be tipped off so that when the impersonator tries again, they can be detained and brought to book on both counts.

Edited by Old-CodJA

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Sorry to bump an old thread, just thought I'd let you know the outcome of this. After sending them a letter, I received a letter back last week telling me that they will consider the matter closed and not pursue it any further.

Looks like I must have argued my case well enough in the original letter. Anyway, happy it's all sorted!

Thanks again for the advice