DCA calling my brother!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4078 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'd really appreciate any help I can get about this. I have been out of the UK for over 12 years. I after graduating and I left some debts... bad and irresponsible...but it is what it is. I have recently returned and set up a UK bank account and opened a secured credit card...with an aim of rebuilding some credit history. I got a full current account and my credit history with Experian showed nothing outstanding. Today my brother called me saying that someone called his home (I dont even know the postal address) saying the have a package to deliver to me. he checked the number and it was a debt collection agency. How could they get my brothers information...I seriously dont even know his landline number?? Also, arent all my debts now statute barred?? Its been 12 years since I lived in the country. He is going to get me the number.... what can I say when I call them? I want to shout obscenities down the phone... I am embarrassed and really upset...call me, thats ok....call a family member that is really messed up!!!! What can I do? Any advice would be appreciated.

What debts did you leave behind ? Type of debt.

Any CCJ's to your knowledge ?

If you have moved back to the UK and opened up a bank account, then your address will shortly be available to DCA's anyway.

The package may be a statutory demand, which is a threat to make you bankrupt. If the debts are statute barred, then you can set aside the SD on this basis.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

it was credit card debt of a couple of hundred pounds and student loans (the old type). Everything is statute barred and Ive been told that the DCA's cant do anything...but I am mystified about how they got my brothers phone number... everything is well over 12 years old!! My address and number I understand, my brother's address and number, I don't.

Don't call them, they are trying it on. You must report them to the OFT and Trading Standards (or whoever has taken over from them) as this is not on.

Thanks! Im trying to find out what I can do... I know it was bad to run away from debt... and I don't want to get sympathy with a sob story.... but I am really embarrassed right now, and I really want to complain or shout at someone!!

Thanks! Im trying to find out what I can do... I know it was bad to run away from debt... and I don't want to get sympathy with a sob story.... but I am really embarrassed right now, and I really want to complain or shout at someone!!

Best not to react. Your address will be on credit records in due course, they will contact you and you can deal with them, by sending letters pointing out statute barred. Tell your brother to just ignore them, but keep you advised of any post received.

As long as they don't provide your personal info to your brother or discuss anything with him, they are allowed to make attempts to contact you, via whatever details they find. It is only if they continued to contact your brothers address, after them being advised you don't live there, that they would have to stop.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

ok thanks! if they contact me I can just reply with a statute barred letter?

Yes and if the account is definitely SB'd then they have to stop hassling you for the debt per the OFT.