• Tweets

• I found that the parkin attended has a car with CCTV camera on it, however as I stated earlier, it seems that he did not take video of my car otherwise they would have stated so in the SAR. parking car .pdf
    • The rules state that "approved devices may only be used in limited circumstances"  I was not a threat. I was not present. I did not drive away. I think he has not fulfilled the necessary requirements justifying issuing me a PCN by post therefore the PCN was issued incorrectly and not valid.  What are your thoughts?  
    • I have also found this:  D.2 Service of a PCN by post: 54) There are some circumstances in which a PCN (under Regulation 10) may be served by post: 1) where the contravention has been detected on the basis of evidence from an approved device (approved devices may only be used in limited circumstances) 2) if the CEO has been prevented, for example by force, threats of force, obstruction or violence, from serving the PCN either by affixing it to the vehicle or by giving it to the person who appears to be in charge of that vehicle 3) if the CEO had started to issue the PCN but did not have enough time to finish or serve it before the vehicle was driven away and would otherwise have to write off or cancel the PCN 55) In any of these circumstances a PCN is served by post to the owner and also acts as the NtO. The Secretary of State recommends that postal PCNs should be sent within 14 days of the contravention. Legislation states that postal PCNs must be sent within 28 days, unless otherwise stated in the Regulations. This from London Councils Code of Practice on Civil Parking Enforcement.  The question is what is an approved device? Certainly, he had the opportunity to place the ticket on my car and I didn't drive away.  I looked further and it seems that an approved device is a CCTV camera - It seems that the photos taken were not actual film but images and it is not clear if they are taken from a video or are stills. I'm guessing if it was moving images then the SAR would have stated this.    From the Borough of Hounslow website: "There are two types of PCN issued under the Traffic Management Act 2004, which governs parking contraventions. The first is served on-street by a Civil Enforcement Officer, who will observe a vehicle and collect evidence before serving the PCN either by placing it in a plastic wallet under the windscreen wiper, or by handing it to the driver. The second is a PCN served by post, based on CCTV footage taken by an approved device, which has been reviewed by a trained CCTV Operator."   From Legislation.gov.uk regarding approved devices: Approved Devices 4.  A device is an approved device for the purposes of these Regulations if it is of a type which has been certified by the Secretary of State as one which meets requirements specified in Schedule 1. SCHEDULE 1Specified requirements for approved devices 1.  The device must include a camera which is— (a)securely mounted on a vehicle, a building, a post or other structure, (b)mounted in such a position that vehicles in relation to which relevant road traffic contraventions are being committed can be surveyed by it, (c)connected by secure data links to a recording system, and (d)capable of producing in one or more pictures, a legible image or images of the vehicle in relation to which a relevant road traffic contravention was committed which show its registration mark and enough of its location to show the circumstances of the contravention. 2.  The device must include a recording system in which— (a)recordings are made automatically of the output from the camera or cameras surveying the vehicle and the place where a contravention is occurring, (b)there is used a secure and reliable recording method that records at a minimum rate of 5 frames per second, (c)each frame of all captured images is timed (in hours, minutes and seconds), dated and sequentially numbered automatically by means of a visual counter, and (d)where the device does not occupy a fixed location, it records the location from which it is being operated. 3.  The device and visual counter must— (a)be synchronised with a suitably independent national standard clock; and (b)be accurate within plus or minus 10 seconds over a 14-day period and re-synchronised to the suitably independent national standard clock at least once during that period. 4.  Where the device includes a facility to print a still image, that image when printed must be endorsed with the time and date when the frame was captured and its unique number. 5.  Where the device can record spoken words or other audio data simultaneously with visual images, the device must include a means of verifying that, in any recording produced by it, the sound track is correctly synchronised with the visual image.
    • Hearing took place today.  Case dismissed with costs awarded. Neither UKPC or a representative turned up.  Apparently they messaged the court on 7 May asking for their case to be considered on paper.  Never informed me, which was criticised by the judge as not following procedure.  I was really annoyed as I would have preferred for the case to be thrown out before the hearing, or at least face them in court and see them squeal.   They are just playing a numbers game and hope you blink 1st!   Ended up having to change my flight, but  the costs awarded softens the blow. Was asked to confirm it was my signature on both the witness statement and supplementary statement.  Wasn't asked to read them, said she could see my arguments made and the signs were insufficient and no contract formed. Took maybe 10 mins in total.  Judge did most of the talking and was best for me just to keep quiet or confirm any statements made. Happy to have won as a matter of principle and have costs awarded. Maybe not worth all the time and hassle for any newbies or the technologically challenged.  But if you are stubborn like me and willing to put in the time and effort, you can beat these vultures! I big shout out to everyone who helped on the thread with their advice and guidance, special mention to FTMDave, thank you sir!  Really appreciate everyone's efforts. All the best!
    • I plan to be honest to avoid any further trouble, tell them that the name should be changed to my official name
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Shebang mobile

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4078 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Caggers!

I have recently had dealings with SHEBANG mobile in relation to a mobile phone contract that I took out.

After several wasted days complaining to them about numerous things that they were not sticking to their own terms and conditions about, I finally decided to take the matter further and report them to their regulator.

On their website they state that they are members of CISAS.

However, on contacting CISAS I have been informed that SHEBANG mobile are not members. I thought that this surely must be a mistake, so I asked for this in writing and received an e-mail detailing the fact that they were indeed not members of CISAS.

According to OFCOM regulations any telecommunications provider must be a member of a regulatory body. However, to date I am unable to find any regulatory body that this company is a member of.

I have mentioned this several times in numerous e-mails to their operations manager, Matthew Hogsden but in every reply he completely avoids answering the question about regulatory membership.

Can anybody at all clarify what the rules are for mobile phone providers and regulatory membership?

Are SHEBANG possibly being naughty by not being registered? Is there a body that oversees all of this that I can take my complaint to, regardless of whether they are members or not?

I note from my bank that they set up two separate Direct Debits on my bank account, one to Shebang Technologies and the other to Shebang Distribution. On checking Companies House I discovered that Shebang Distribution are in fact in liquidation. Can anyone offer any advice about this, as I am certain that when a company is liquidated that they must by law advise anybody dealing with them that they are in liquidation, particularly when it comes to taking payments from the paying customers.

I have now cancelled my contract and moved to another mobile provider. However, they placed my account on suspended service during my contract period despite telling me verbally that they would re-instate my service within 2 hours. I was then informed that although my service had been suspended, it had not been terminated. However, I was unable to make outgoing calls, had some incoming calls stopped and ALL texts, inbound and outbound completely stopped. Does anyone know if this is fair, given that their own terms and conditions state quite clearly that they will only suspend service after persistent failure of direct debits?

My direct debit had only failed once, due to me visiting the bank and the bank advising me to cancel one of the two direct debits that they had set up - the one to the liquidated company.

Although they have now written off the whole account, am I entitled to compensation for being wrongly advised and the undue anxiety and duress that this put me under waiting for them to re-connect me for 7 days only to find after persistent e-mails that they had in fact disconnected my service.

I have also sent them ten e-mails, only one of which has been replied to by their operations manager. I will copy his response, along with some of my previous messages below:

Response from Operations Mananger:

Dear Mr Daniel Harford-Lyons

The service will be ‘ended’ if issues are not resolved within 7 days. A failed payment will lead to an immediate suspension on your account to limit our liability in the event of non-payment and to ensure customers with payment difficulties do not run up unmanageable bills which could lead to personal financial difficulties. The service was still being provided; it was just limiting your access to chargeable outgoing services to prevent incurring a further debt following the Direct Debit failure.

We aim to respond to all emails within 2 working days. You emailed on the 7thMarch and received a reply on the 9thMarch. You then sent emails on the 9th, 11thand 13thand are receiving a response on the 14thMarch. The delay is because your message was escalated for my attention. This should have been advised to you by reply on the 10thand 12thof March so apologies that operatives have not kept you informed. Our terms and conditions do state that that we will attempt to resolve written complaints to the Operations Manager within two weeks.

Your account will be closed with immediate effect following the comments in your email on the 13thMarch including that you have cancelled your direct debit. I note that there were also difficulties on a previous account that you held with us. For this reason I regret we will be unable to open a further account for you in the future due to unsettled account balances which I have written off today as a gesture of goodwill only due to the delay in responding to you.

Kind Regards

Matt Hogsden

Operations Manager

If you have any questions or queries please see our frequently asked questions at ***LINK REMOVED FOR CAG COMPLIANCE PURPOSES*** or you can contact our dedicated team either via email on ***LINK REMOVED FOR CAG COMPLIANCE PURPOSES*** or by calling ‘500’ free of charge from your handset. Alternatively you can also contact us on 0844 324 7161 from any landline (charges will apply). Our Sales team can be contacted on 08081 680138 or via ***LINK REMOVED FOR CAG COMPLIANCE PURPOSES***

Kind Regards

Shebang Customer Services Team

My original message that prompted the response, along with one of the incorrect names that they have used for me:

13/03/2013 01:30 - holker wrote:

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Dear Shebang,

I am STILL waiting for a response from you but given the fact that you are currently fighting off HMRC then I guess you have more pressing matters to worry about.

I have today cancelled all Direct Debits that you have set up on my account through the various companies that you have, including the one to a currently liquidated company.

Despite numerous previous attempts to contact your company by e-mail over the last week, I have only received one reply. Your customer service is by far the most dreadful and appalling that I have ever encountered in my 37 years of life on this planet.

You can't even get my name right, you have mis-informed me of my rights and obligations, you have failed in your duty of care to your customers in relation to the service that you provide, you have mistakenly set up Direct Debits on my bank account and now you choose to ignore my messages.

Well let me tell you Shebang, Mr Humphrey and anybody else who reads this message that I smiled ever so slightly when I read of your recent dealings with HMRC. Concentrate on making a success of your MVNO, I hear them say in order to survive. Well, in my humble opinion you are doing a pretty good job of ignoring your customers when all you have to do is interact with them.

I have signed up with another provider and will never have anything to do with your company again. Moreover, I will vigorously defend any action taken against me in relation to this matter.

I will also be forarding a copy of this message to Northants Trading Standards, as I firmly believe that your company is in breach of the Trades Descriptions Act and the Telecommunications Act by quoting membership of a regulatory body on your website when in fact your company are not members of this regulatory body.

Regards,

Mr Daniel Harford-Lyons

Their original response to my 6th complaint is as follows:

Subject: Re: [Ticket#2016526] Problems with Your Sheba [...]

Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 14:34:26 +0000

To: ***LINK REMOVED FOR CAG COMPLIANCE PURPOSES***

Dear David,

Your account is suspended due to non payment of DD, no payments have been taken or made at this time and moment, although your DD details were retaken it has not raised an DD yet to take payment, this would go onto your next bill, unless payment received sooner for missed DD/last bill. Your account will be closed on 2nd April as requested which will generate the final bill. To have your services resumed we will need a payment first for last months billing.

If you have any questions or queries please see our frequently asked questions at ***LINK REMOVED FOR CAG COMPLIANCE PURPOSES*** or you can contact our dedicated team either via email on ***LINK REMOVED FOR CAG COMPLIANCE PURPOSES*** or by calling ‘500’ free of charge from your handset. Alternatively you can also contact us on 0844 324 7161 from any landline (charges will apply). Our Sales team can be contacted on 08081 680138 or via ***LINK REMOVED FOR CAG COMPLIANCE PURPOSES***

Kind Regards

Mr original response to my 5th complaint is as follows:

08/03/2013 18:02 - holker wrote:

This has resolved nothing! Your customer support is very poor!

Please resolve this issue and provide me with the service that you are in breach of providing!

Subject: [Ticket#2016526] RE: Problems with Your Sheba [...]

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 20:22:27 +0000

To: ***LINK REMOVED FOR CAG COMPLIANCE PURPOSES***

Dear Colin Holker,

Thank you for your recent email. Our system has attempted to identify your query and provided you with some useful information to assist you. If this has not enabled you to reach a resolution please let us know by replying to this message and a member of our customer care team will respond within 2 working days.

You should already have received an email containing login details to your account. If these have not arrived please contact us. By logging on at ***LINK REMOVED FOR CAG COMPLIANCE PURPOSES*** you will be able to access all of your billing and account information, make payments, change your personal details and amend your password to something more memorable.

Kind Regards

Any help at all would be appreciated in this matter!

So you have cancelled your contract - they have accepted this cancellation and cleared any balances.

What exactly do you want help with ?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Mobile phone regulations!

I'm sorry if this isn't clear, IdaInFife but I have mentioned it several times in my post!

Do you feel this response will make it more likely or less likely that people will spend their (freely given) time answering?.

I was going to research what I'd hoped would be a pertinent query that could have contributed. However, looking at the sort of response I might expect from you : it isn't worth me doing so, I'll not risk wasting my time, and I'll use it seeing if I can help a CAG'ger who is more likely to be receptive to help.

And there was me thinking that this forum was a friendly place where people could help to support each other and resolve issues?

BazzaS please don't waste your time researching what you think is an impertinent post! It's quite obvious to me that you have little understanding of the term "Poor customer service" if you feel that my post is impertinent.

By the forums own description, a gesture of good will is something that companies do when they know they are wrong and want to silence people.

WE are the ones who should be showing them goodwill, as we are the customers.

I am not looking for help to resolve this issue, as it has obviously already been resolved on their part.

However, I am not willing to let this lie as I feel as though they have ridden roughshod not only over the terms and conditions that I agreed to but also the regulations that apply to this industry. The latter is something that I am uncertain of and it is this that I am seeking help and friendly support with, so I can do without your attempted martyrdom, thank you all the same.

I am always receptive to help and greatly appreciate some of the help that has been provided to me by CAG over the years, without the need for me to even post a word on a forum. I simply feel as though IdaInFife has missed my point and maybe has failed to understand that this company appears to be flouting the law in my case by not holding current membership of a regulatory body.

This is the matter that I would like clarified if possible but if you are too busy to research and help then I completely understand. I have not asked for that. I am simply asking if anybody knows whether a mobile phone company must by law be a member of a regulatory body and if so, what steps can I take if that company is NOT a member.

Jeez, tough crowd today!

And there was me thinking that this forum was a friendly place where people could help to support each other and resolve issues?

BazzaS please don't waste your time researching what you think is an impertinent post! It's quite obvious to me that you have little understanding of the term "Poor customer service" if you feel that my post is impertinent.

By the forums own description, a gesture of good will is something that companies do when they know they are wrong and want to silence people.

WE are the ones who should be showing them goodwill, as we are the customers.

I am not looking for help to resolve this issue, as it has obviously already been resolved on their part.

However, I am not willing to let this lie as I feel as though they have ridden roughshod not only over the terms and conditions that I agreed to but also the regulations that apply to this industry. The latter is something that I am uncertain of and it is this that I am seeking help and friendly support with, so I can do without your attempted martyrdom, thank you all the same.

I am always receptive to help and greatly appreciate some of the help that has been provided to me by CAG over the years, without the need for me to even post a word on a forum. I simply feel as though IdaInFife has missed my point and maybe has failed to understand that this company appears to be flouting the law in my case by not holding current membership of a regulatory body.

This is the matter that I would like clarified if possible but if you are too busy to research and help then I completely understand. I have not asked for that. I am simply asking if anybody knows whether a mobile phone company must by law be a member of a regulatory body and if so, what steps can I take if that company is NOT a member.

Jeez, tough crowd today!

I did a Wikipedia search on "passive aggressive" : it directed me to your post as an ideal example.

You have changed the query I thought was "pertinent" to a description of "impertinent". I still think it is pertinent, though it isn't anything I'm willing to spend time on. I've not said it was "an impertinent post" : just that your reply (now replies) might put people off replying.

Again, look at your replies (or even better - ask a third party you trust for their opinion) : do you think replies that superficially thank respondents but then proceed to "look down" on them make other people more or less likely to answer?

As for "I am always receptive to help" : it appears not.

As for " I simply feel as though IdaInFife has missed my point and maybe has failed to understand" : I don't think there was a lack of understanding, and as for the "point being missed" - perhaps the "point" was obscured by your generalised ranting?

" I am simply asking if anybody knows whether a mobile phone company must by law be a member of a regulatory body and if so, what steps can I take if that company is NOT a member." : So, why did you not just "simply " post this, minus the rant and bad attitude to anyone who doesn't give you exactly what you appear to require?

I did a Wikipedia search on "passive aggressive" : it directed me to your post as an ideal example.

You have changed the query I thought was "pertinent" to a description of "impertinent". I still think it is pertinent, though it isn't anything I'm willing to spend time on. I've not said it was "an impertinent post" : just that your reply (now replies) might put people off replying.

Again, look at your replies (or even better - ask a third party you trust for their opinion) : do you think replies that superficially thank respondents but then proceed to "look down" on them make other people more or less likely to answer?

As for "I am always receptive to help" : it appears not.

As for " I simply feel as though IdaInFife has missed my point and maybe has failed to understand" : I don't think there was a lack of understanding, and as for the "point being missed" - perhaps the "point" was obscured by your generalised ranting?

" I am simply asking if anybody knows whether a mobile phone company must by law be a member of a regulatory body and if so, what steps can I take if that company is NOT a member." : So, why did you not just "simply " post this, minus the rant and bad attitude to anyone who doesn't give you exactly what you appear to require?

:first::first::amen:

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Ah, I see! The penny has dropped.

I wasn't aware that you were a qualified Psychologist with the ability to diagnose over the internet, let alone stick my nose in where it's not wanted.

I'll just go and ask the cat if I'm being passive-aggressive on this one eh? I'm sure his response will be a firm yes as well.

simple ans to a simple question....

no they do not.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

They don't have to have membership to one of the ADRs. Personally I'd inform CISAS that they're advertising that they are members and then leave it at that.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar