• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Waveydave V Lloyds

Waveydave
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6227 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HI All - newbie to posting here but ive been lurking and reading for a few days now.

Anyway - got all my bank statements out from Lloyd this evening ( going back to early 2002) and calculated they had charged me £3625 in the past 5 years - this is based upon amount of charges the last page of each statement ( where it says we will debit X amount in charges on the 1st of that month). All these charges are from Returned cheques, direct debits and overdraft limit charges. The total is probably more than this as there were a few months missing and it doesnt go back 6 years.

In the prelim letter it says you should include your schedule of charges - What exactly is this ? Do i just type out a list of each charge, the date and the amount and include that ?

Or should i just go ahead and send the prelim letter without a seperate statement and let them work it out ?

Finally - is it worth paying £10 for the subject access request to get a clearer idea of the charges owed even though its likely to delay my claim by a further 40 days ?

Thanks in advance

LLoyds TSB - 17/10/06 - Preliminary aproach for repayment letter posted

26/10/06 - Bogoff letter recieved

30/10/06 - LBA sent

NatWest - 17/10/06 - Preliminary aproach for repayment letter posted

20/10/06 - Sod off letter recieved from Natwest

30/10/06 - LBA sent

Hi and welcome aboard....

Firstly, the schedule of charges can be exactly as you suggest. There is need to show specifically what you are claiming and when these occurred. We do, however, have spreadsheets on the site (see the Templates Library) that you might wish to use. Simply input the charge 'title' / amount / date and the spreadsheet will give you a total figure.

It will also show the interest that has accumulated on each charge - this is not reclaimable until your case reaches court action, but you might as well use it in case you get that far...

I would advise you to send off the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) but to also start your claim now - send off the Prelim letter but add a little sentence about your total claim value being dependent upon receipt of a full list of charges requested under the Data Protection Act.

If you are lucky, you'll receive the list before you reach court, otherwise you will not have long to wait if they don't - 12 days max' (based on you sending 2 letters each with a 14 day deadline).

Keep us updated on your progress- best of luck

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Cheers for that

Shall start with the spreadsheet tommorrow and get letters ready for sending on monday morning

Thanks

Dave

30/10/06 - LBA sent

30/10/06 - LBA sent

Reet - im now going through preparing the dates and details of each charge to enter into the spreadsheet.

What i need to know is what date to put down on the charges

Example:

22nd august 06 - Unpaid cheque - £35 - THIS is the actual date the cheqe was returned and the Charge was implied

BUT

1st october 2006 - unpaid cheque - £35 - THIS is the ACTUAL date that the above charge was debited from my bank.

So - do i put down on the spreadsheet the date the charge was withdrawn by the bank or the date the cheque was returned ?

Just want to make sure i get every little details down correctly in the first place to avoid elongation of the claim and possible squirming out of it by the bank lol

30/10/06 - LBA sent

30/10/06 - LBA sent

Cheers

Just been through and done it and got my figures in order ( a lot more than i expected !! )

so i sh\ll move onto the next stage and will be back asking more questions soon lol

30/10/06 - LBA sent

30/10/06 - LBA sent

a few more questions for you

These are the re occuring charges that have cropped up throughout the past 6 years. Am I ok to claim for all of these ?

Unpaid Direct debit

Unpaid Cheque

Unpaid Standing Order

Overdraft Excess Fee

Overdraft Usage Fee

These are all as well as overdraft excess interest etc

Second Question

Although im sure ill net a huge amount if i claim for the interest caused by the charges but i'm not overly bothered about going down that route as i dont fully understand how the interest is calculated and when all is said and done something is better than nothing

So which of the spreadsheets at this page do i need to complete http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?id=o08571588547445759977.2587399380008153659.01399406124076356046.3558027979580473339

And finally

Once i have completed the spreadsheet am i ok to just print that out send it with my prelim letter ?

Thanks for your time and help - tis really appreciated

30/10/06 - LBA sent

30/10/06 - LBA sent

Thought i would add my details here as im sure ill be back with questions soon enough :-)

I have 99% my statements from the past 6 years so i havent bothered contacting Lloyds with the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter.

Im claiming for £4163 over 5 years - shocking when i looked back through it and reliased one month i had a staggering £578 worth of charges on unpaid direct debits alone !!! Incidentally the date of that charge falls in line with the date the child tax credit decided i had been overpaid and immediatly stopped paying us with no warning Grrrrrrrrrr

Initial preliminary letter requesting refund of charges sent 16/10/06 to :

Customer Service Recovery Service Centre,

125 Colmore Row,

Birmingham,

B3 3SF

Sent by registered post so now the count down begins. I'm nervous and excited at the same time but after a weekend of researching and discussing with my Wife we have both agreed that should push come to shove we will stand up in court and be counted

Wish me luck, i think im going to need a lot of it :-)

Waveydave

30/10/06 - LBA sent

30/10/06 - LBA sent

• 2 weeks later...

Well its taken them 12 days to reply with a letter saying "we will look into this and it will take us approx a further 2 weeks to do so"

So standard bogoff letter :rolleyes:

2 days time i will be moving to the nextstage and the LBA as the 14 days i gave them will be up

30/10/06 - LBA sent

30/10/06 - LBA sent

LBA now SENT :o :)

Im going to start preparing for the obvious outcome of it progressing to the court stage but what should i be looking at doing TO prepare ?

30/10/06 - LBA sent

30/10/06 - LBA sent

HI wavey

Read as many threads as you can see how it's likely to go. There are templates for filling in the court forms in the library so you can download them ready and if you are going to take them into the court in person you can get it filled in ready.

Good luck

good luck Dave, have a look at some of our threads in the Lloyds section to follow our timelines

1/6/06 request charges

16/6/06 received charges

18/6/06 first request for refund

3/7/06 "No" letter from bank

13/7/06 LBA

7/08/06 handed claim to court

10/8/06 court stamped as date of issue

24/8/06 deemed to be served

25/8/06 Sechiari filed acknowledgement of service

6/9/06 defence served

9/9/06 copy of defence and AQ received by me

25/9/06 deadline for AQ submission

25/9/06 call Sechiari confirm safe receipt of my AQ

26/9/06 received copy AQ from Sechiari

29/9/06 letter to SCM to say "you want 1 month to settle, so settle"

18/10/06 after "strained communications"and how !

verbal offer of full settlement with conditions

communications rejecting conditions from me

5/11/06 received letter offering settlement with conditions

7/11/06 sent fax rejecting conditions etc

14/11/06 unconditional settlement in bank and how !;)

Cheers for your replies :)

Recieved the banks "Final Response" to this matter today which essentially said ( as im sure all the others do) " SOD OFF your having nowt, we dont agree with OFT's thinking and if you want to complain then dop so via the fincaial ombudsman

so its onto MCOL now i believe ?

can i file immediatly or should i wait for 14 days again bearing in mind the bank have made itquite clear its thie final response on the matter ?

30/10/06 - LBA sent

30/10/06 - LBA sent

another question ( sorry lol)

On the "throughout claim with contractual interest" spread sheet it asks for CLAIM DATE.

What date is this?

Todays date?

Date you sent the first letter ?

Date you intend to file with MCOL ?

ANy info gladly recieved and appreciated

WD

30/10/06 - LBA sent

30/10/06 - LBA sent

any answers to the above please ? :(

and finally - worked out that with compound interest of 8% im looking at claiming approx £5002.50 give or take a quid or two

this should still be fine through small claims shouldnt it ?

30/10/06 - LBA sent

30/10/06 - LBA sent

any answers to the above please ? :(

and finally - worked out that with compound interest of 8% im looking at claiming approx £5002.50 give or take a quid or two

this should still be fine through small claims shouldnt it ?

sorted teh date and the 14 day questions but could someone answer the above query for me ?

Ive worked out all in the claim is for £5024.86 + court costs ( which will be £250 ) so id just like to know if this will go through the normal small claim proceedings as detailed in teh FAQ's etc because of the amount ?

30/10/06 - LBA sent

30/10/06 - LBA sent

anyone ?

30/10/06 - LBA sent

30/10/06 - LBA sent

dave

interest is not considered when a court values a claim.

Civil Procedure Rules rule 26.8

PART 26 - CASE MANAGEMENT – PRELIMINARY STAGE

On page 64 Patricia Pearl says that it applies "whether or not that interest is contractual or claimed pursuant to statute".

the amount of your claim is your charges plus the interest that they have improperly charged you.

Newacre

LoydsTSB - £4,158.82 inc interest @16%

SARS request - July 06

Prelim letter - 19 Sept

Letter back saying how devastated all the lads at Head Office were to hear... - 31 Oct 06

LBA sent - 8th Nov 06(had to send a 2nd as Royal mail lost it)

Summons reg at CC 15th Dec 06

Nice letter saying that they would be refunding £750, no strings! 18 Dec 06

SC&M acknowledged service and will be defending claim in full - 4 Jan 07

25 Jan 07 transferred to mercantile Court with about 50 others

06 Feb 07 SETTLED IN FULL! - £4466(includes a bit extra interest)

Hi Wavey

I did my claim with just the 8% interested and it came to 800 over the 5k and thats being allowed to go small claims track. Once you recieve your AQ you will be able to put a statement in that states why you think it should go smalls claim track. Only difference going over the 5K is to file court claimmcosts £250 and AQ costs £100.

Hope that helps

Hi Wavey

I did my claim with just the 8% interested and it came to 800 over the 5k and thats being allowed to go small claims track. Once you recieve your AQ you will be able to put a statement in that states why you think it should go smalls claim track. Only difference going over the 5K is to file court claimmcosts £250 and AQ costs £100.

Hope that helps

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Not been around for quite a while due to one thing and another (mainly working hard over xmas) so this is just a quick update on where I am with my claim against Lloyds, and a request for some info / advise.

I originally recieved my final "sod off" letter from Lloyds on the 10th November 06, I joined MCOL and filled out my particulars etc but never got round to actually clicking the submit button due to the court costs coming to £250 - so it was wait for pay day before i did it, then christmas comes along and next thing i know its 4th January and im thinking i really should get this sorted.

So, first question - will the almost two month gap effect anything ? should i start from the begining again , should i send Lloyds another final letter? or am i fine to just jump on in and continue with my claim through MCOL ?

Secondly, i have had another charge on my account since my list of charges was sent to Lloyds - can i add this to my claim or would the court / lloyds view it badly as it would not be on the initial list of charges i sent ? ( at this stage i still have not submitted anything to the court.)

Finally - the charges i am claiming back, including the courts 8% compound interest, come to approx £6000 so the court costs i have to pay are £250 - im fine with this but is there anything i need to know or does anything differ if you go over the £5000 small claims court limit ?

Cheers for any info you may be able to help me with, Im gonna go and start reading up again now :)

WD

30/10/06 - LBA sent

30/10/06 - LBA sent

Threads merged - please stick to one thread

The gap won't make a difference

You can add the extra charge

If your charges (without interest) are less than £5k it will stay on small claims track - if the interest takes it up to £6k this doesn't matter.

If you are claiming 8% interest you should use simple, not compound interest.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Cheers Barracad, and apologies for not stickiing to single thread.

shall continue my reading for this evening and put the claim through tomoz once ive worked out the new interest and added additional charges.

Thanks again

30/10/06 - LBA sent

30/10/06 - LBA sent

• 3 months later...

Well - i still havent got round to clicking the send button on mcol yet lol - tbh after reading all i have a bout Lloyds "embaraament" response / defence to mcol claims im glad i havent.

Anyway - ive just had my natwest charges sent back to me so i now have the dosh to go for lloyds.

Id imagine this one will be a lot more difficult judging by the hassle everyone else has had - Have lloyds actually defended a case yet or are they still paying up.....EVENTUALLY ?

Finally there was one thread i read this evening that worried me slightly, regardiing somebody who was being countersued due to having an old CC debt with Lloyds - This affects me also , although the amount I am claiming from them is a lot more than the amount i owe them - will this throw a spanner into the works ? Is it something i need to consider or plan for ?

Cheers all

WD

30/10/06 - LBA sent

30/10/06 - LBA sent