• Tweets

• I was trying to post all the paperwork that I have, namely facebook ad, messages between the seller and my son etc . But I'm getting the message that the files are to large. 
    • First of all please can you tell us the name of the seller, something about the van – age/year, mileage, price paid. How far away is the seller from where your son lives? Who do you take it to for this inspection? Are they prepared to give you a written list of the things that they found? This is very important and you may well have to get an independent inspection from somebody such as the AA. This will cost you some kind of feedback we expect that we will be able to help you get it back. I would say that if you have to bring a court claim – which is likely – then your chances of success are better than 95% but the difficulty might be enforcing the judgement against the seller. We will have to no more in order to give you better advice. Does it have an MOT? What is the date of it and who gave it the MOT? I suggest that you start taking pictures of all of the defects that you can find.   Also I am going to say that I believe that you came over from Facebook where you were already informed that we would need at least all of the information which I have requested above. It will save a lot of time and effort for everybody if you can simply come up with the things that we ask without too much delay
    • My autistic son brought a van from a private seller. ( there was 5 other cars on his drive and another van, plus loads of machanic tools in his hallway,  so he probably is a unofficial dealer).  He gave the van a once over, he checked for any warning lights that might be on, there was none. He checked underneath for any rust etc, it all looked fine. The body was rough, but you'd expect that for the age of the van.  He got his brothers machanic to give it a pre mot check, as the van was old so he expected it to have a few problems. The van is a deathtrap, the seller had blacked out all the warning lights that were on the dash,  and I mean all.  He had also painted some kind of black stuff on the underside, to hide all the damage there.   My son drove it for over 2 hours to get it home. The machanic said he's surprised my son is still alive, and an untrained eye would not of seen what the seller had done.  Iv asked the seller for a refund and for him to have the van back, but he is refusing. Is there anything we can do.   
    • The economy grew by 0.6% in the first three months of the year, ending a shallow recession.View the full article
    • First of all it sounds as if your retailer is very decent and very responsible. This itself is unusual in these kinds of circumstances and I think we need to bear this in mind. The guarantee is not particularly relevant and in fact the dealer had a statutory duty to exercise a certain responsibility for your computer – probably for several years as their obligation under the consumer rights act. The dealer may not have known this and it simply acting out of a sense of moral responsibility and that is even more noteworthy. You've already suggested earlier that you didn't really want to cause problems for your retailer. I think that you will need the help of your retailer as well in order to get information and evidence. I suggest that you proceed against DPD – but before you do that – I suggest that you have a discussion with the retailer. Tell them that this is what you are going to be doing and you would like to have a copy of anything they have which relates to the special instructions which apparently your dealer has already informed you about in relation to where item should be left. Secondly, maybe you should tell your dealer about this site and also about this thread. I can imagine like many dealers who are frequently sending items by means of couriers, they have had things go missing. Tell them that we will be very happy to help them recover money for lost or damaged or stolen items – and that is regardless of whether or not they have purchased insurance. Apart from being very pleased to help your dealer recover items which have been lost by irresponsible parcel delivery companies, I think we need to encourage the complicity between you and them so they will be pleased to support you in your claim against DPD. It will be helpful if you can get a copy of the instructions that you have referred to above, and also if you can get some written evidence of your own instruction that your laptop should be left in a safe place. Have you done the reading on this sub- forum? You will need to do lots of reading of many of the similar stories on this sub- forum. They won't necessarily be against DPD but the principles will broadly be the same. Also read the pinned topics at the top of the sub- forum in order to understand many of the principles involved. Getting your money back but be quick – but your chances of success are better than 90% that you can bank on it taking anything up to a year. Have you got anything in writing from DPD either refusing you or telling you that they won't discuss with you?  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4092 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, could you advise me, yesterday morning my car was clamped by Task Enforcement Bailiff between 5am and 8am. When I left my home in the morning and saw the clamp I called the number on the warning notice and advised the bailiff I would return in the afternoon from university with the money to pay pcn ( congestion charge). The bailiff however advised he wanted full amount of 856.42 ( debt was 200.44!) to which I repeated I would have 200 by the end of the day. I also advised the car is on hire purchase.

When I returned home last night, the car was no longer there, to which I called the bailiff to inquire why when i had agreed to pay, to which he claims I had stated I would not.

Now I have contacted my finance company, who have sent over a copy of my hire purchase agreement to Task Enforcement, and also contacted the bailiff to advise he unlawfully removed my vehicle, but am being told all checks were done and if I want my car back I must pay £856.42.

Please advise if they can do this and how I can get my car back, as I have no intention of paying that ridiculous amount.

Thank you,

Miss D.

As you say, they have unlawfully removed something. Theft. The vehicle does not belong to you, it belongs to the HP company

Personally I would report it to the police as stolen informing them who has stolen it.

I would also ask the HP company to report it to the police as stolen.

The bailiffs should return the vehicle ASAP!!

You need to ascertain some important points.

How much is the vehicle worth?

How much is left on the finance?

Are you sure its finance and not a personal loan?

You have already said how much is outstanding in your post.

So typically a vehicle in average condition with no documents or keys will fetch approx 25% of its actual guide price at auction.

Crutially here will the sale of your vehicle based on the above fetch and clear the remainder of your finance AND amount outstanding to the bailiffs.

If it will clear the both then i am of the opinion that the bailiffs can take the car. If not then they dont really have any business taking the car.

None of the beliefs held by "Freemen on the land" have ever been supported by any judgments or verdicts in any criminal or civil court cases.

this is ridiculous going on how much the car is worth to settle and finance agreement

if the vehicle is secured on any sort of finance agreement besides a personal loan agreement, the vehicle belongs to the finance company, you need to tell the bailiff that return the car with immediate effect or you will be applying through the courts for a return of goods order at full cost to the baliff company

contact the bailiff company direct, not the bailiff, i would send by email with a read receipt

i was under the impression that when a car is on HP you don't own it until the very last payment is made...???

Legally it doesn't but wiith a high value motor, the bailiff will argue that he can sell it and pay off the outstanding finance and his fees, the main debt will not be cleared, most likely.

This one smacks of the bailiff using the Brothers Grimm book Of bailiff Lore. Report vehicle stolen to police and also advise finance co that the car has been unlawfully removed, and can they also report Task Enforcement to the police, who will likely listen to them rather than fob it off as civil.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Legally it doesn't but wiith a high value motor, the bailiff will argue that he can sell it and pay off the outstanding finance and his fees, the main debt will not be cleared, most likely.

wow. i know you know your onions but surely they don't get away with that do they?

if it's on HP, it belongs to the HP company until its fully paid for, so surely, at the moment, it's theft, and if they sell it, it is handling stolen goods?

as i say, i know you have much deeper knowledge in this area than me. and i genuinely bow to that.

I am of the opinon that the only way a baliff can sell a vehicle with outstanding finance on it is with the permission of the finance company, the vehicle does not belong to the debtor, or baliff. The finance company hold full tital

I stand to be corrected if i see statutory legislation that allows them to conduct this course of action which is based on statutory legislation, not hearsay or any sort of personal implied opinion

wow. i know you know your onions but surely they don't get away with that do they?

if it's on HP, it belongs to the HP company until its fully paid for, so surely, at the moment, it's theft, and if they sell it, it is handling stolen goods?

as i say, i know you have much deeper knowledge in this area than me. and i genuinely bow to that.

Technically it is theft and OP should send copies of the agreement to council and bailiffs, who should then return the car however, the likes of JBW and Jacobs will try this one, and have done so in the past. I don't doubt task enforcement pull this stunft also, as they have in OPs case.

There is an old thread on here where JBW were threatening just this, taking a car on HP and flogging it. now as oldbill will confirm, JBW aren't the sharpest chisel in the box. I don't doubt that Task Enforcement are equally dense.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?263032-can-bailiff-take-car-on-hp-finance

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

its a tricky one. if you think that the only person that owns the item is the HP company. then they are the only people to report it stolen?

but i still think seizing vehicles based on the name on the V5, live from a feed from DVLA, which only actually tells you the registered keeper is being abused.

the dvla data does not prove who owns something?

its a tricky one. if you think that the only person that owns the item is the HP company. then they are the only people to report it stolen?

but i still think seizing vehicles based on the name on the V5, live from a feed from DVLA, which only actually tells you the registered keeper is being abused.

the dvla data does not prove who owns something?

Exactly, this is why it is important to get copies of agreement to council and bailiffs ASAP, and inform Finance company so they can kick the bailiffs butt.

i am not sure but is their not some code of practice or legislation that states the baliff has to do some sort of HPI check before removing a vehicle rather than a check from DVLA to confirm who has good tital to the vehicle

dont quote me though, i realy do not know

i am not sure but is their not some code of practice or legislation that states the baliff has to do some sort of HPI check before removing a vehicle rather than a check from DVLA to confirm who has good tital to the vehicle

dont quote me though, i realy do not know

Common sense would say they should check, but bailiffs are out of control, and many from the likes of Task Enforcement, JBW, and marstons think they are above the law, and will do as they please ultra vires the regulations. marstons do a nice line in assaulting debtors and innocent thied parties alike, iin pursuit of HMCS fines for example, one woman in Plymouth was seriously injured and ended up in hospital, after being assaulted by a marstons bailiff, and she was not even the debtor.

MissDivaLiriq how much is the car worth?

Hope oldbill looks in on this one

Edited by brassnecked

Did you know that the bailiffs were due? Was the Congestion Charge originally from TFL or the Council. Whichever one it is, they are responsible for the actions of their bailiffs-so let them know and that

you will escalate matters to the Court if you do not get your car back pronto.

It may not seem important to you but could you pst back with details of the precise amount of the fees that have been charged.

Also, I do not wish to appear judgmental but is there a reason why you had not paid the PCN to Transport for London? For instance, had you moved address...appealed the PCN to the local authority etc etc.

Common sense would say they should check, but bailiffs are out of control, and many from the likes of Task Enforcement, JBW, and marstons think they are above the law, and will do as they please ultra vires the regulations. marstons do a nice line in assaulting debtors and innocent thied parties alike, iin pursuit of HMCS fines for example, one woman in Plymouth was seriously injured and ended up in hospital, after being assaulted by a marstons bailiff, and she was not even the debtor.

MissDivaLiriq how much is the car worth?

Hope oldbill looks in on this one

The car is worth around £2500.

It may not seem important to you but could you pst back with details of the precise amount of the fees that have been charged.

Also, I do not wish to appear judgmental but is there a reason why you had not paid the PCN to Transport for London? For instance, had you moved address...appealed the PCN to the local authority etc etc.

The non payment of the pcn was due to my not receiving the initial fine, my flat is part of a house conversion, and there are three doors with numbers 1, b and the final one, mine, doesnt have a letter. Unfortunatly, one of my neighbor's is a recluse and every once in a while will deliver mail that the mail man drops in her box by accident. I was prepared to pay the surcharge ( 180) and even offered to pay the fee Task Enforcement had requested which stood at £200.44. But the bailiff decided to take the car all the same.

Record and and all future phone calls with the Bailiff. Did you record the previous ones perchance ?

No, I did not, really wish I had, as I was on the train whilst speaking with him. But I did make it clear to him the car was on HP. He hung up and like I said, when I returned home the car was gone. I did call the police who at first couldn't locate the car, but then found it in the system as being in the pound.

Exactly, this is why it is important to get copies of agreement to council and bailiffs ASAP, and inform Finance company so they can kick the bailiffs butt.

The finance company contacted Task Enforcement and sent them a copy of my credit agreement, however Task Enforcement are now stalling, saying they have to investigate.

Given your explanation above regarding the reason why the PCN was unpaid, it would seem that you should have grounds in which to file an Out of Time witness statement. This should be a TE7 & TE9. All enforcement will then cease.

Can you post back with details of the fees that the bailiff charged.

PS: The position with a vehicle on Hire Purchase is that a bailiff can only seize goods BELONGING TO THE DEBTOR. Furthermore, a bailiff may ONLY seize goods that he intends to sell. I am at a loss to understand how a bailiff company intends to sell a vehicle that is subject to Hire Purchase.