style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4111 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved into my current flat in April 2012 on an initial 6 month short assured tenancy. When this came to an end in October I then signed a new lease for a year. About 2 weeks before signing this the letting agent carried out a check on the flat whilst showing a surveyor round at the same time. His words were "It's just for an update on the state of the flat, the landlord isn't going to be selling any time soon"

Then at the start of this month I received an email from the letting agent informing me that the landlord has put the property up for sale and once sold they would give me two months notice to move out (unless bought by another investment landlord then things wouldn't change)

I have checked with Shelter who have told me that no matter what happens, I don't have to move out until the end of my current lease in October, even if the flat sold tomorrow and a normal family wanted to move in, they would have to wait until October.

Anyway, the advice I'm asking for is, since this happened I have applied to about 6-7 housing associations, many of whom have given me extra points for being close to homelessness (as I have 3 young children) So if I was to be offered a property before this one sold, where do I stand in trying to end the tenancy early?

Also, since I moved in I have had permission from the landlord to do all sorts to the property (dig up stones in garden and lay grass, replace the mouldy blinds with brand new ones, re-paint the chipped front door, re-paint internal doors, paint and decorate rooms) As I was told that this property would likely be mine for quite a long while, is there any way to get some sort of compensation for making the property look far better than it did when I moved in. Feel like the landlord was just saying yes to everything now as it would help them when they wanted to sell.

I expect the LL would let you out of the lease, which would have to be by mutual agreement and notice etc.

However he would also be losing income if you move out before it is sold, so be careful he mat not so accommodating as you might expect.

Shelter have sdvised you dont have to move till end of contract and even then the LL or new owner would have to apply to court to actually evict you which could take a while.

So no need to panic yet.

Get back and let us no how things develop.

As for improvements you have done, unless you have something in writing that he will pay etc, then that will down to you.

Thanks for the reply raydetinu

When the time comes I suppose I will find out how accommodating the landlord will be in letting me end the tenancy early.

Had the estate agent in yesterday taking photos for putting it up for sale, he seems to think it is going to be hard to sell.

We wait and see.

Also, any ideas how to get a copy of a home report? A couple of the housing associations have asked for a copy as I have stated there is damp throughout the house (which the surveyor also concluded when he was here for the home report) I asked the estate agent and he said he would see if landlord was ok with me getting a copy but might not be as I am not a potential buyer

I'm in a similar position as yourself (renewed 1 year contract then 1 month into it, I'm informed LL is selling property) What I did was get as much information as to the whys & wherefores of my position.

You can stay for the length of your contract & as you cannot make yourself & children homeless, the LL or his agents would have to apply to the Courts to have you evicted once it is up. This all takes at least a few months or so.

You can also do as I have done. As I didn't want to have people viewing at all different times for the next 10 months (as this is still my families home) I told the Agents that viewings were to be done only on alternate Saturdays between 11am & 4pm. Always accompanied by an agent & never when we aren't at home. I also requested £50 of the rent each month. (as yet TBA)

If the property your in sells, with say over 2 months + left on your contact to run & buyer is eager to move in, then you can let the LL/agent know your willing for them to buy your remaining contract. (only good if you have some where else lined up)

Lastly if you do find somewhere else to move too before your contract is up, then your LL or agent can mutually agree to release you from the remainder of the contract.

We are not happy ourselves as we took our present house on as it was listed as a 'long let', we also like yourselves have redecorated, sorted out the gardens & repaired minor damages done by water leaks etc. But we didn't mind as this was meant to be our home for a long while.

Just look at it as these things happen, I'm just not looking forward to the prospect off packing up & moving once again.

Good luck

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

Thanks raydetinu, I never even thought of that.

I know RainbowTears, we were the exact same, long term let. I am just glad we signed a year long lease when the original 6 month lease ran out as we would just be on a month to month basis with less security. This way we know we are here until October at least.

Thanks for the hint with the estate agent, I have 3 young children so trying to get the place into shape for a viewing with 24 hours notice isn't exactly great, so I might do the same and give them a list of times they can arrange viewings for.

Just a quick update.

I have received an email from the letting agent stating that they got a reference request from one of the housing associations I have applied to.

They want £15 to provide the reference. I have just emailed them back stating that I wouldn't need these references if it wasn't for the landlord selling up and are they going to charge me for the other 6-7 housing associations I have applied to?

These people really know how to bleed you dry

Another quick update

Received a reply back from the letting agent stating that they would be charging me £15 for every reference they have to do, as there is nothing they can do about landlord selling house and it isn't their fault. So, I have begun the process of claiming back £170 they charged me illegally at the start of the tenancy for credit checks and admin fees.

As for viewings of the house. I took *RainbowTears* advice and told the estate agent that viewings were to be limited to 1 day a week between 11 -2. They phoned at the end of last week asking if a viewing for "someone" could be done at 6.30 on Tuesday (last night).

Reluctantly agreed to it, only for the estate agent to turn up and ask if my kids were away somewhere else. I told him no that the 2 youngest were sleeping in their bedroom. He asked if it would be ok to turn the light on to show the room which I again said no because they are sleeping. 9 people then turned up in the house and estate agent stood by as one of them turned the light on in the bedroom that my kids were sleeping in and walked right in causing them to wake up screaming.

Snide comments from the agent for the rest of the visit then almost had me throwing everyone out the house "oh they're fine, they'll go back to sleep no problem." "Don't worry about the kids" "Ooops the light should have stayed off eh?"

Is there any sort of regulations over what someone you have let into your home for viewings can and can't do?

I was shaking with anger last night after being lied to about the viewing being for one person or at worst an actual couple.

Why not get the LL to supply the references? he is the one selling so should do it for free..

As for the viewings. Stick to your original and do not give in..... You can point blank refuse to let anyone view if you wish, so should tell the estate agent this, and that in fact after the last viewing, you are doing them the favour.....

If they don't like it.... tell them no viewings whilst you are in there.....

I am not a solicitor :!::!:

Most of my knowledge came from this site :-D:-D

If I have been helpful in any way at all .............. Please click my star..... :-(:-(

I need to try and get the landlord details off the letting agent. All that is on the lease is a company name c/o the letting agent. What I find strange is that, I got a copy of the home report as proof of the damp in the house. But the person that paid for the home report is the owner of the letting agents.

I handed my letter into estate agents telling when they can hold viewings, a Thursday between 11-2 with 24 hours notice, yet they phoned this morning to see if someone could come out at 12 today to which they got a firm NO.