Redundancy and Maternity Leave

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4138 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i am currently on maternity leave due and due in 2 weeks time!!my employer is consolidating the business and therefore closing down a store in the city i work in,although this is not my store all 4 managers in that city are being asked to reapply for thier jobs the unsucessful candidate will subsequently be 'at risk of redundancy'.my employer is asking me to interview for my role next week which i feel is unreasonable as i am so close to my expected due date and on mat leave.I have spoken to acas who have informed me that i should be offered a suitable alternative role IF there is one available to me.However i am also informed i do not need to interview for a role i already do.My company is trying to railroad me into an interview and i believe this is down to my pregnancy and there need to save money(as my sucess would mean i can complete my mat leave whilst someone else is paid to cover my role too)PLEASE help

confused and stressed

Hi Jas1984 - and welcome

I have moved your post into its own thread - the one you had posted on was last active almost two years ago, and this way more people are likely to see it and advise on your situation :-)

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

...and my advice is that you need to take heed of the advice of ACAS and remind your employer of their obligations. There is a legal protection for those on maternity leave in that the employer must offer any suitable alternative position to you ahead of any other candidate - you do NOT even have to be interviewed for the position.

The key word is suitable so providing that you are qualified for the role, or it is one that you are already doing, then the employer will be almost certainly acting in a discriminatory fashion. Forcing you to interview when a. You don't need to and b. Adding to an already stressful situation, will do nothing but compound the problem for them.

The relevant ACAS guide (for employers, but equally valid for employees) is HERE

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

hi thank you for replying i will need to seek legal advice as per acas' advice however i believe my employer is trying to force me to go through this process like any other employee however i have protective right under my mat leave.