Maternity pay question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4138 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I am thinking of trying for my second baby in the next few months. I only work two days a week but last week was asked to start doing 3 days. I wanted to say no but have since spoken to a friend who said to check how it will effect my maternity pay.

On the calculator online it says I would get £83 p/w working two days a week and if I do 3 days it would be around £135 p/w. What I don’t know is how many weeks before I announce I am pregnant do I have to be doing 3 days? I have been with them 1 year in March. Any info would be great, thanks.

FYI my earnings are approx £50 per day.

Melissa

Hi Melissa

The 'qualifying week' for SMP is the 15th week before the baby is due, and calculation of maternity pay is based on earnings in the 8 weeks prior to the qualifying week. On that basis, providing that you are continually employed up to that period, and are working for three days a week up until the qualifying week, then your SMP would be calculated accordingly. You must have been constantly employed for 26 weeks at the time of the qualifying week, so you are OK with regard to length of service.

You say that you are trying for a baby in the next few months, so providing that you remain employed at three days a week until you are around 5 months pregnant then you will be OK. You must also inform the employer of your pregnancy by the 15th week before the baby is due.

You mention that you believe that you would receive £83 per week based on two days a week and that you earn approximately £50 per day, but at the current rates you would need to be earning more than £53.50 per day to receive any SMP, as the qualifying earnings are £107 per week (and at that level you would receive £96.30 per week). If you were earning less than £107 per week then although you couldn't claim SMP through the employer, you could claim Maternity Allowance from DWP - this again is based on 90% of your average earnings.

On three days a week at £50, and at the current rate of SMP you would indeed be eligible for £135.45 per week. SMP is 90% of your average weekly earnings (averaged over the 8 weeks prior to the qualifying week) for the first 6 weeks maternity leave, and then 90% average earnings or £135.45 (whichever is the higher) for the remaining 33 weeks maternity leave.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thanks for taking the time to respond in the detail you did. It answers all my questions and more. Thanks again!

The 'qualifying week' for SMP is the 15th week before the baby is due, and calculation of maternity pay is based on earnings in the 8 weeks prior to the qualifying week. On that basis, providing that you are continually employed up to that period, and are working for three days a week up until the qualifying week, then your SMP would be calculated accordingly. You must have been constantly employed for 26 weeks at the time of the qualifying week, so you are OK with regard to length of service.

You say that you are trying for a baby in the next few months, so providing that you remain employed at three days a week until you are around 5 months pregnant then you will be OK. You must also inform the employer of your pregnancy by the 15th week before the baby is due.

You mention that you believe that you would receive £83 per week based on two days a week and that you earn approximately £50 per day, but at the current rates you would need to be earning more than £53.50 per day to receive any SMP, as the qualifying earnings are £107 per week (and at that level you would receive £96.30 per week). If you were earning less than £107 per week then although you couldn't claim SMP through the employer, you could claim Maternity Allowance from DWP - this again is based on 90% of your average earnings.

On three days a week at £50, and at the current rate of SMP you would indeed be eligible for £135.45 per week. SMP is 90% of your average weekly earnings (averaged over the 8 weeks prior to the qualifying week) for the first 6 weeks maternity leave, and then 90% average earnings or £135.45 (whichever is the higher) for the remaining 33 weeks maternity leave.

No problem - hope everything goes OK for you :-)

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!