most of my income support being given to british gas/severn trent. help!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4189 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

They didn't make me get it, but I jumped before I was pushed. as far as your landlord goes, if if doesn't like them he can have them changed back at the end of your tenancy, but most landlords I know prefer them anyway - it means they don't have tenants running out on huge bills. Our boiler is not new, but it's not ancient either - about 10 years old i'd say.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, do you know if the gas meters are overpriced. i do know some one who has meters for both and has her tumble dryer on 24/7 so can't be that expensive! there seems to be alot of posts on here about problems with meters.

You can get dual fuel meters and while they are mire expensive they really do focus the mind on what you use. For example you don't keep the hot water on all day,you turn down radiators in empty rooms. If both your children are young could they share a room.

As for grants look at http://www.turn2us.org

Hi Graceava

This may sound like a silly question.

Has your loft been insulated?

Around 43% of you heat loss is through the roof.

Also with your landlords permission you could apply to the Warmfrount scheme and possibly get a new High efficiency Boiler,

This would benefit you and the landlord.

I believe warmfrount do the loft insulation also.

Leakie

Oh, bingo! Leakie's right, I totally forgot about the warm front boiler scheme! definitely have a look at that, because you'll be amazed at the difference a new boiler makes.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

Thanks for replies, im 99% sure the landlord said insulation was done just before we moved in but ill ask.

I am actually looking for a smaller house, the kids do share a room so the 3rd room isn't used. Its one of those 50's double fronted council houses so we have a dining room and all the rooms are large. Im looking for a smalll 2 bed which will help with the bills.

When i suggested the kids could share it was meant as a money saving idea and not as a must do. Obviously as they get older they will want and possibly need their own room. Have you tried to get into social housing?

Going back to the deductions have you got any definite breakdown of what is for what? I know that seven Trent asked for a deduction of my benefit and it was refused.

im still trying to get anyone from either BG or income support to give me straight answer as to what is paying debt and usage. they are both saying that its the others ones resposibility! BG are saying its nothing to do with them and its an agreement between me and IS and IS are saying the exact opposite!

it says on the warm front scheme that it is only available in england?

i am on council/housing association lists but there is a severe shortage of housing in my area.

Ok we have progress!

Income support have canceled the payments and british gas are willing to work out a paymant plan with me. They are pressuring me to have meters but im really not sure. I don't want to be paying a penny more than i do now!

Any advice on how to sort out a reasonable payment plan with bg?

Last time i spoke to them we came to an agreement of 100 by direct debit a month,20 of that was towards the debt. But they were trying to get me to agree to sums of 200-250 a month.

With a direct debit can they take more out of my account without any notice?

Is a stasnding order better?

Thanks for all the help!

I have asked both BG and IS how much of the payments are for debt and how much are for usage but no one will tell me. I have worked out my last 12 months of bills for gas and electric and it averages out at £67 a month. i am very careful with my gas and electric. So i can't see how only 3.55 is for the debt as i am not usage doesn't cover the rest. Is it possible someone has made a mistake somewhere when working it out? Or just put my usage as the average for a 3 bed house?

Arn't the pay as you go meters notoriously expensive? I have lived in a flat with one about

7 yrs ago and we were putting at least a £5 in a day. That was on electric with storage heaters.

Have I or have I not made that completely clear? It is £3.55 towards your debt each week. There are no exceptions. It is £3.55 a week. If someone from British Gas cannot explain that then they are very poor at their job, same as whoever works for the DWP.

It is entirely possible someone has got your usage wrong, depending upon how they arrived at that figure? One of your statements will give you a breakdown of what you have used in a 12 month period and it will say 'We expect you will use X' in the next 12 months. The person should divide that by 52 and fill that in as the figure for you application. They CANNOT specify the amount towards the arrears, it isn't physically impossible on the form they complete. That's a fact.

Yeah ive heard that storage heaters are expensive. and the flat was boiling at night and freezing during the day!

how did you end up getting the meter? did they make you get it?

i don't mind having a meter if there not more expensive but im worried about my landlord and if they would mind. i don't really want to tell them im in any trouble with bills as they are freinds with my ex's family and i know they will all end up gossiping about it (small town!)

do ypu have a newish boiler or an old one?

Your Landlord doesn't need to know to be honest. If it ever did get out, say it helps you with your budgeting as a monthly direct debit wasn't working for you as it was leaving you short some weeks.

ok, do you know if the gas meters are overpriced. i do know some one who has meters for both and has her tumble dryer on 24/7 so can't be that expensive! there seems to be alot of posts on here about problems with meters.

No, they are normally fractionally cheaper than a normal standard quarterly bill, only fractions of pence (though marginally dearer than a direct debit), see this link and put in your postcode;

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/gas-and-electricity/our-energy-tariffs/clear-and-simple/clear-and-simple-rates.html

People complaining about the costs of the meters are those who have arrears on them set at a high figure towards the debt. They will set it at £3.55 a week towards your balance if you are on means tested benefits.

Ok we have progress!

Income support have canceled the payments and british gas are willing to work out a paymant plan with me. They are pressuring me to have meters but im really not sure. I don't want to be paying a penny more than i do now!

Any advice on how to sort out a reasonable payment plan with bg?

Last time i spoke to them we came to an agreement of 100 by direct debit a month,20 of that was towards the debt. But they were trying to get me to agree to sums of 200-250 a month.

With a direct debit can they take more out of my account without any notice?

Is a stasnding order better?

Thanks for all the help!

British Gas should not be looking at a payment plan for you if you can have a pay as you go meter.

Look at the link I posted above (please note that you will not get the direct debit price if you set up a direct debit with them as that is based on customers with no outstanding balance).

Yes, with a direct debit they are in control and they do look at them twice a year, they can jump massively either way, normally up at this time of year.

My advice would be to look at your statements, one of them should have an annual usage figure on (normally one in 4 statements do), divide that by 52 as your average usage to give you an idea of your average spend. Then get a pay as you go meter, you will use a lot less energy.

Oh, off your circumstances and the age of the children in your house you should get the 'Warm Homes Discount' from them, it is £130 this year that is placed onto your electric account as a credit between January and March. You must register by New Years Eve!

As said previously, expect to be kicked back by the trust fund, I'm not being harsh, just honest.

The advice to look at statements is only relevant IF you are on a monthly budget direct debit. If you pay your bill on arrival you will not get those but maybe the info is available online. Most debt charities state that prepayment IS more expensive however i grant you it seems that the figures do seem reasonable.

I am pleased you also concede that maybe the usage is wrong.

CLIMATE, i know you say it is not possible for the arrears to be higher than 3.55 a week but the fact is my usage is no where near the weekly payments.

so do i have a choice about having a meter or not if i am offering a to pay?

do i have to pay to have them fitted?

when i leave this property will they change them back to the meters that are here now? (or similar)

will the payment towards the debt definatley be 3.55 a week and not half of every 5 i put into the meter? (i have heard of these kind of charges on meters)

is it possible to get british gas to tell me the exact cost of the gas and elec in units compared to what i pay now?

im just going to read the link now climate so sorry if the answers are in there!

westfiel, they have taken 80 out so far and BG have said they have not recieved it yet.

also another thing i need to check is money i have paid on payment plan cards which is not showing on my bills as poid. the only proof i have of this is bank statements.

also does anyone know if BG does a social tarriff or something similar?

Hi Graceava

I have had a PPM for electric for a month now.

The rate is cheaper because they charge a standing charge each day,

this is meant to even it out if you were on a standard tariff.

I have £6.98 a week taken off the amount of credit I put in the PPM

I am paying back at £5.00 a week.

Plus what I have used.

I found it hard to understand at first but now no probs.

Obviously you will be putting in more credit in the winter months but not so much in th summer months.

I hope this helps a bit

Leakie

They should refund the standing charge annually, shouldn't they? I'm sure that i've had it re-credited to my key in the past.

CLIMATE, i know you say it is not possible for the arrears to be higher than 3.55 a week but the fact is my usage is no where near the weekly payments.

so do i have a choice about having a meter or not if i am offering a to pay?

do i have to pay to have them fitted?

when i leave this property will they change them back to the meters that are here now? (or similar)

will the payment towards the debt definatley be 3.55 a week and not half of every 5 i put into the meter? (i have heard of these kind of charges on meters)

is it possible to get british gas to tell me the exact cost of the gas and elec in units compared to what i pay now?

im just going to read the link now climate so sorry if the answers are in there!

You have a choice to some extent. If you have had 2 failed payment schemes such as direct debits you will not be offered another. You could do Fuel Direct where it comes from your benefits, that's the limit of your options to be honest.

They will fit meters for you free at your current stage, if they obtain a warrant you would be charged and it's over £250 per meter.

It would only be £3.55 a week towards your outstanding balance if on means tested benefits. So you could stick £100 on, it will take the standing charge each day, your usage and £3.55 each week towards the debt. It's done each week, not each top up.

Bear in mind if you go away for weeks anything you put on goes towards the recovery rate first, same with using emergency credit but if you pay each week it will only take £3.55 towards the balance each week.

They should refund the standing charge annually, shouldn't they? I'm sure that i've had it re-credited to my key in the past.

No.

You may have got the warm homes discount which is a credit placed onto your meter for 'vulnerability' issues.

You can thank OFGEM for the daily charge thing, they said bills had to be 'clearer' although it was easy enough in my eyes already. Now, if you have a meter with ZERO usage you will pay for it (excludes existing contracts which must be honoured!). OFGEM really are complete donuts.

No, definitely no vulnerability issues. how strange..i'll have to look into what that was. I know we were with edf at the time.

ok, so how much is the standing charge? and it literally means you are being charged even if there is nothing being used?

i have now registered with BG gas online and have just checked my latest bill. it is for 42 days.

117.27 gas

66.17 electric.

considering i have never used anything near this in the whole time i have lived in this house how can it be so much? it is actual as they came to read my meter. i havn't even had the heating on that much because it's been quite mild.

have they made a mistake? i have just looked on my history and between 1st august 2011 and 28th of august 2012 i used a total of 783 of gas and electric so how could i have used that much in 42 days?

ok i have just looked into all my history on BG website and i have made a huge mistake. i moved into this house in august 2011, my ex left in feb 2012. i rang up BG to change name on bill and the account had some arrears. the bloke on the phone said he would start me a new account and to 'he would sort the old bills out'. i didn't really know what he meant but it looks like he has cleared all the debit from 1st august to 25th feb 2011. maybe he felt sorry for me as he knew i was on my own with a newborn and 15month old or maybe it was a mistake?

so this changes everything, i have now worked out my monthly usage as 115 for gas and elec. the house is always bloody freezing so this seems a lot. this still makes the latest bill over the average.

climate, is it possible that he just wiped the debt?