Welfare changes and appointment with housing association

rankin123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4231 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

My dad received a letter today from his housing association, the housing officer would like to visit him to discuss possible changes to his welfare benefit from April 2013. He wants my dad to complete a budget sheet detailing his total income and total outgoings each month. In the letter he says that in order to give my dad information about whether the changes will affect him financially he wants to discuss in detail his current income and spending.

Has anyone had one of these visits yet? I have to admit I am suspicious about anything I get from the council and housing association, I think getting my dad through the ESA process has done this to me. Part of me is wondering why the housing association is asking for the appointment since it isn't them that decides whether his benefit is cut or not (or do they?). My dad is in receipt of DLA and ESA and according to the info I have read on the welfare changes his benefits won't change but this makes me think perhaps the housing association wants to visit to try and get my dad out of his house...

If anyone has any experience of these visits and the effects it's has on their benefits I would be very grateful if you could share them (I know it might be too early - but this makes me think perhaps my dad is being targeted because it does seem so early) or if anyone has any advice. For some reason I am really worried about this appointment I just can't really put my finger on why, maybe it's just because I'm really jaded about the whole government and system.

Hello,

My dad received a letter today from his housing association, the housing officer would like to visit him to discuss possible changes to his welfare benefit from April 2013. He wants my dad to complete a budget sheet detailing his total income and total outgoings each month. In the letter he says that in order to give my dad information about whether the changes will affect him financially he wants to discuss in detail his current income and spending.

Has anyone had one of these visits yet? I have to admit I am suspicious about anything I get from the council and housing association, I think getting my dad through the ESA process has done this to me. Part of me is wondering why the housing association is asking for the appointment since it isn't them that decides whether his benefit is cut or not (or do they?). My dad is in receipt of DLA and ESA and according to the info I have read on the welfare changes his benefits won't change but this makes me think perhaps the housing association wants to visit to try and get my dad out of his house...

If anyone has any experience of these visits and the effects it's has on their benefits I would be very grateful if you could share them (I know it might be too early - but this makes me think perhaps my dad is being targeted because it does seem so early) or if anyone has any advice. For some reason I am really worried about this appointment I just can't really put my finger on why, maybe it's just because I'm really jaded about the whole government and system.

Many Housing Associations offer a sort of benefits service. Mine has a small team under the title Money Matters. It's a free service and might prove useful depending on his circumstances. Certainly nothing to be suspicious about.

This will primarily be about the change to Universal Credit, DLA changing to PIP (another ATOS assessment to be done) and the bedroom tax (if he's got more bedrooms than is deemed necessary by the government then he will be expected to contribute either 14% or 25% to his rent). There are also changes that will affect Council Tax Benefit and this will vary depending on his local authority. These changes to Housing Benefit & Council TaxSupport only affect people of working age.

If he's in receipt of DLA and in an adapted property and affected by the bedroom tax then the Housing Officer may be coming to let him know about Discretionary Housing Payments that can be applied for through the Council.

rankin, does he live alone? How many bedrooms does the property have? I suspect this is about the bedroom tax

Hi abc, I live with my dad in a 3-bed, my brother doesn't live with us but he stays over 3 nights a week in order that I can get 3 full nights sleep a week. I have been reading about the bedroom tax and it seems that because my brother uses the bedroom occasionally my dad might not be affected by the tax, however my brother is working full time and he doesn't get carers allowance and although I am a full time carer I can't get carers allowance either because i am a full time student, since we don't claim carers allowance I wonder if we could be counted as carers then?

Many Housing Associations offer a sort of benefits service. Mine has a small team under the title Money Matters. It's a free service and might prove useful depending on his circumstances. Certainly nothing to be suspicious about.

Hi RaeUK, in the letter the housing officer specifically states that he is not able to give advice on benefits, I'm hoping it is just a check to see whether their data matches facts but the whole going into detail about my dads income and outgoings makes me think they are assessing whether he can afford to pay the bedroom tax or not

This will primarily be about the change to Universal Credit, DLA changing to PIP (another ATOS assessment to be done) and the bedroom tax (if he's got more bedrooms than is deemed necessary by the government then he will be expected to contribute either 14% or 25% to his rent). There are also changes that will affect Council Tax Benefit and this will vary depending on his local authority. These changes to Housing Benefit & Council TaxSupport only affect people of working age.

If he's in receipt of DLA and in an adapted property and affected by the bedroom tax then the Housing Officer may be coming to let him know about Discretionary Housing Payments that can be applied for through the Council.

Thanks Kevin Bolt, my dad is on DLA but the property isn't adapted. As I explained to abc, I live with my dad in a 3-bed, so there is technically a 'spare bedroom', although my brother does stay over 3 nights a week to help me out during the night.

Thanks for listing all the other changes as well, I have to admit when I read that DLA will be changed and another ATOS assessment will need to be done it made me feel a little sick, I just can't believe the government are still using ATOS and this consultation procedure when they should make assessments based on evidence from GPs and hospitals.

rankin, are you male or female?

I'm fairly sure that they would decide a spare room for a carer is not needed in your circumstances though, hardly anyone is going to qualify for this. What rate of care does he get with DLA? Does it state he needs care through the night?

I still think this is just to do with the bedroom tax.

I would love for someone from my housing association to come round and tell what is happening with our benefits.

There are tools on my HA website that help, but the whole lot is becoming so complicated.

I've found out some of the stuff i need to know but UC is the real puzzler, but then i don't think even the government know about that.

Edited by count orlok